12 volt cabling question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 12 volt cabling question

I need to make up a few cables to connect to my DC to DC charger, fridge cables, etc etc. Using the brad Harrison connectors i will solder them. But these other types of connectors, can I just solder them with flux, or should I rather crimp them. I dont have a good crimping tool so I'm asking if its ok to solder with flux instead?

Default Re: 12 volt cabling question

If you have a good crimping tool, crimp them preferably use stone stamcor lugs and not insulated lug. There is more copper and once properly crimped you can then bolt them into connector. This should give better conductivity. Preinsulated lugs work ok on light weight requirements. A fully tinned stone stamcor type lug has less chance of being flexed and will give peace of mind in the end. Have done numerous daul battery setups and have never looked back.

Crimping is way to go.
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

'The danger comes from hankering for normalcy again, rather than getting on with working out how to deal with whatever is ahead.' - CNN article

https://4x4direct.co.za/tools-/5943-...515558635.html

Just buy this, it will be the best purchase you ever made

And some shrink sleeve.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Ditto Hatjohan’s suggestion. Best crimping tool I had (for normal DIY work)
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Don't built yourself problems into the system down the line by soldering any of the lugs. Use the correct crimper for the B/H plugs lugs too. For higher current system there are also better lugs to use than the red, blue and yellow insulated lugs. Freel free to send me a PM if you want as I won't get into any arguments about soldering lugs and connectors with guys that know better..
    I'm in Edenvale if you want help.
    Last edited by Paul#25; 2020/09/20 at 07:22 PM.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Don't built yourself problems into the system down the line by soldering any of the lugs. Use the correct crimper for the B/H plugs lugs too. For higher current system there are also better lugs to use than the red, blue and yellow insulated lugs. Freel free to send me a PM if you want as I won't get into any arguments about soldering lugs and connectors with guys that know better..
    I'm in Edenvale if you want help.
    listen to those that know... vibration causes the wire to break right where solder stops.

Soldering works if there is no vibration or you counter the vibration with strapping the wire down etc. But proper lugs + proper crimping tool is way easier
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Although soldering is mentioned as a no no. When soldering and using non insulated lugs by using say a double layer of heat shrink for about 30mm to create a strain relief so that the wire does not bend where the solder ends it could also last well.

I do belief not everyone can buy a proper crimping tool just for a once of project. It is still a great investment to add it to one's tools.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Although soldering is mentioned as a no no. When soldering and using non insulated lugs by using say a double layer of heat shrink for about 30mm to create a strain relief so that the wire does not bend where the solder ends it could also last well.

I do belief not everyone can buy a proper crimping tool just for a once of project. It is still a great investment to add it to one's tools.
    I have seen solder joints fatigue/break where the joint is attached on a sold joint on one end, like a lug bolted to a battery terminal, and free floating cable on the other. In contrast, soldering a cable joint is fine - no fatigue.

The soldered lug joint should last a while though. But you need to ask yourself whether the R400 quality crimper is too expensive for what you are crimping. It could be for your freezer, where your food loss will exceed the cost of the crimping tool if the joint should fail. The crimping tool is about the same cost as 25l of fuel. I would not scimp on costs in this case, even for one crimp.
    Mike Lauterbach

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Great, thanks for the advice.
    Crimping it will be.

Just solder it man

I kid

Just make sure you get the correct crimper the one posted in the link earlier is for non isolated lugs

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Just solder it man

I kid

Just make sure you get the correct crimper the one posted in the link earlier is for non isolated lugs

https://4x4direct.co.za/tools-/9390-...529831021.html - for insulated lugs.

They are so cheap and of such good quality, that I bought both. Although I only use them for my own purposes, they have paid for themselves in money and in joy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

I'm willing to assist guys close to me with my crimpers. Bring your wiring that is cut to length and the lugs and we can crimp them with the correct tools. I do have a bigger stake crimper for the bigger cables too. I'm in Edenvale. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200915_111749.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	589477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190120_181813.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	589479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190120_181750.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	589480
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm willing to assist guys close to me with my crimpers. Bring your wiring that is cut to length and the lugs and we can crimp them with the correct tools. I do have a bigger stake crimper for the bigger cables too. I'm in Edenvale.
    Great for guys like you for offering help in this regard.

As well as Mikeml and others indicated we know what is the best solution. When I was still on the tools I saw many solder lug connections on cranes - not done by me that lasted very long. That is why I mentioned the strain relief so that the bending and vibration is taken up away from where the solder ends. Also seen 800A lug connections soldered that were fine for many years. I still feel that one can use that solder and hopefully we will look if the fridge is still on before we have "lost" all the meat in the freezer. Recently I have interacted with guys loosing a job. Such a person just cannot spend R400 on a crimper which could be the budget for food for a whole week. Also found a person who cannot have a grid connection but also want lights on at night instead of candles. For this guy redoing a solder joint every month will be better than going hungry just because of a "must have" crimper. We should never deny such people to also camp and perhaps would run the risk that the solder lug does break off at some point. Imagine this jobless guy gets an invite to camp with a friend for free but needs to make a connection for the fridge.

It will always be interesting to see how our point of reference is our own situation and cannot relate to the next person. One guy can buy just lithium batteries and the next will stick to lead acid. Choices and abilities.

I do not disagree with the crimp just shedding some light on the next guy's situation. Much better than just turning the wire around the lug which is still a common way of making connections.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

The 4x4 Direct one is very nice, but not for BH fittings - for that you need the large red jobbie - also for other fittings which does not hae a split type connector.

I do my BH connectors with the yellow one - hex type crimper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200921_145439.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	589491
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Great for guys like you for offering help in this regard.

As well as Mikeml and others indicated we know what is the best solution. When I was still on the tools I saw many solder lug connections on cranes - not done by me that lasted very long. That is why I mentioned the strain relief so that the bending and vibration is taken up away from where the solder ends. Also seen 800A lug connections soldered that were fine for many years. I still feel that one can use that solder and hopefully we will look if the fridge is still on before we have "lost" all the meat in the freezer. Recently I have interacted with guys loosing a job. Such a person just cannot spend R400 on a crimper which could be the budget for food for a whole week. Also found a person who cannot have a grid connection but also want lights on at night instead of candles. For this guy redoing a solder joint every month will be better than going hungry just because of a "must have" crimper. We should never deny such people to also camp and perhaps would run the risk that the solder lug does break off at some point. Imagine this jobless guy gets an invite to camp with a friend for free but needs to make a connection for the fridge.

It will always be interesting to see how our point of reference is our own situation and cannot relate to the next person. One guy can buy just lithium batteries and the next will stick to lead acid. Choices and abilities.

I do not disagree with the crimp just shedding some light on the next guy's situation. Much better than just turning the wire around the lug which is still a common way of making connections.
    I only recently became aware of the "politics of hair" (Google will show that there actually is such a thing)

Now I have also learned that there is such a thing as the "politics of lugs"

A very innocent question and (my?) an innocent answer gets turned into whatever?

BTW, if you do not already have a proper soldering iron or gas flame to solder up to a BH's, that will set you back by R500 plus

I got the correct soldering equipment. I just dont have a crimping tool.
    I see there are different types of crimping tools.....hexagonal or the 'U' shaped crimp. Is there a difference between the 2 ?

Slightly OT, but I see some people dip the end of the strands in solder and then crimp that soldered end into the connector: is that an acceptable practice?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Solder connection is better than crimping. The reason is that there is no corrotion.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Slightly OT, but I see some people dip the end of the strands in solder and then crimp that soldered end into the connector: is that an acceptable practice?
    It does seem to be the preferred or suggested method.

The crimping vs soldering discussion does seem to be on the same level as what came first, the chicken or the egg.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast