12v Charging of Snomaster Battery Box or Similar

Default 12v Charging of Snomaster Battery Box or Similar

Good Evening,

Hope you are all safe.

Wondering what I would have to do to charge a simple cheap battery box like the Snomaster PP003 Battery Box using the existing 12v supply in my vehicle.

NL boxes need direct feed from crank battery. Also very expensive these days. HCDP boxes charge from 12v but also very expensive.

So wondering if I could add a 12v charger to one of the cheaper battery boxes and then run my fridge off the box. Any ideas what I would need to do that.

Kind regards
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: 12v Charging of Snomaster Battery Box or Similar

That is my current setup works ok
    Just check that the battery charger can charge a deep cycle battery

Planning on fitting a WRND unit(available at 4x4 direct) it has a built in solar controller
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Good Evening,

So wondering if I could add a 12v charger to one of the cheaper battery boxes and then run my fridge off the box. Any ideas what I would need to do that.

Kind regards
    There are cheaper option if you only want to keep the battery full for a fridge if you start with a fully charged battery.

How about a cheap R200 booster to boost the main battery to say 16V. Use a solar controller to add 3 stage charging to the battery box. Total cost without wiring, connectors and enclosure R550.

Just connect it direct to you battery with 10mm cables and BH plugs. There is a switched input on the battery box for this. https://4x4direct.co.za/cables/6054-...EaArCwEALw_wcB

Thats what I have done at it works perfectly fine for light applications, if you make decent connections in the cable voltage drop is a lot lower than people go on about. Yes you may not get the final 3% of your deep cycle charged, but that doesn't really matter if you are not stopped in one place for 2+ days and will not be expensive, have the option of adding a DC-DC later if your needs change.
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2020/09/29 at 11:15 AM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Good Evening,

Would this charger supply enough current to charge a second battery in a power box?

https://za.rs-online.com/mobile/p/car-chargers/6796710/

It draws power from a 12v outlet.

Or this charger?

https://batteriesonline.co.za/produc...ttery-charger/
    Last edited by FatHuey; 2020/10/01 at 07:34 PM.
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion

The 1st link the charger can provide a max of 3.5A. This up to 24V output is really meant for charging laptops.

The 2nd link is a 2A max charger and will take 40+ hrs to charge a 100Ah battery that is 80% discharged.

These are nou chargers meant to charge big batteries.

Rather look at a proper DC - DC charger like the Victron.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post: