Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Default Re: Land Cruiser 300 - 3.3L V6 diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    The same engine is used in the Lexus LS500 since 2018. In the LS the consumption is between 8.3 and 10.5 km/l in real world mixed driving which is pretty impressive.

The LS weighs 2.1T and the 300 is around 2.5T. If one can get between 7 and 9 in mixed driving it might be a winner.
    Oh yes, your consumption projection is most likely spot on and that will be a winning engine

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    I said space configuration
    Rav4 has the same "space configuration" as the 300 as well - I don't see how that makes it comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Rav4 has the same "space configuration" as the 300 as well - I don't see how that makes it comparable?
    Does RAV4 have 7 seats?

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Does RAV4 have 7 seats?
    No, but the Tiguan Allspace does. Let's see who of the prospective LC buyers will jump off the long waiting list to get one of those?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Come come kiddos, this is getting a little carried away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Well he already made the claim that a Fortuner has more space than a Prado. Turns out he was talking about a Fortuner with rear seats removed vs Prado with rear seats still installed
    Actually, Ronny Dahl did a “which one would you buy” YouTube video on the subject .
    Both Prado and Fortuner offered the same space.
    The decision was the Fortuner because it carried the same stuff but was a cheaper vehicle.

https://youtu.be/6yVHoxui8Q4

2:40 is the cargo test.
    20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skukuza95 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skukuza95 View Post
    .. Both Prado and Fortuner offered the same space.
    The decision was the Fortuner because it carried the same stuff but was a cheaper vehicle.
    I don't understand this claim.

I had 2 Prados then the Fortuner.

We could not fit the same NL fridge and 4 ammo boxes which went into the Prados (with space to spare) into the Fortuner.

Even the wooden base that came out of the Prado had to be cut smaller to fit in the Fortuner.

Depth of the loadbay is almost similar but the Fortuner is much narrower and with less height. My fridge doors could open fully inside the Prado, but in the Fortuner it has to be on a slide as the doors can only open halfway if not pulled out.

Edit: just to qualify - - > in both instances the third row of seats were completely removed.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/06/19 at 12:12 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Tannie nou raak jy moeilik. Mense hier rond tik sommer so uit die heup uit.
    Ek meen as jy nie praktiese ondervinding het nie help die net om jou goed te laat lyk.

Maar mens kom gou agter as mens knoppie kennis het

Oom Dirk hou nie baie na my verwysing na Kuberkrakers hou nie, jammer verkeerde term ek bedoel mense wat ondervinding optel deur hul vingerpunte

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skukuza95 View Post
    Actually, Ronny Dahl did a “which one would you buy” YouTube video on the subject .
    Both Prado and Fortuner offered the same space.

https://youtu.be/6yVHoxui8Q4

2:40 is the cargo test.
    That's the exact video that Byaru was referring to, and it's not exactly scientific. He removes the back seats of the Fortuner and then concludes that it is better for overlanding because it has more space than a Prado

Not my experience at all, and I have driven and lived with both.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post

We could not fit the same NL fridge and 4 ammo boxes which went into the Prados (with space to spare) into the Fortuner.

Even the wooden base that came out of the Prado had to be cut smaller to fit in the Fortuner.

Depth of the loadbay is almost similar but the Fortuner is much narrower and with less height. My fridge doors could open fully inside the Prado, but in the Fortuner it has to be on a slide as the doors can only open halfway if not pulled out.

Edit: just to qualify - - > in both instances the third row of seats were completely removed.
    And now you end up spoiling the hole story with facts... Ai
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    And now you end up spoiling the hole story with facts... Ai
    Oops
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post

I think we all buy cars we can afford and cars that support our lifestyles.
    U don’t need to spend R1.5 million on a car. I recently did a 4x4 trail with friends, which included Prado 120s, Fortuners, Nissan hardbody’s and everyone got to the end destination
    I rate the Prado 120 as the best car I have ever owned. I would still be driving the Prado, if Toyota had better timing, and released the 150 with a 2.8 motor.
    At the end of the day it’s all about compromises... what will fit inside, what needs to go on the roof, and can SWAMBO fit in her extra bag!
    20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Skukuza95 For This Useful Post:

"I think we all buy cars we can afford and cars that support our lifestyles.

U don’t need to spend R1.5 million on a car."
    Why not? You will if you can...

This new 300 will be in every home garage if it was not for the price. And the price is relative to living standard.

Although you praise the Prado they are two very different vehicles for different owners. The one not necessary better than the other.

By choice for me? The 300 any day...
    ...and I am not a Cruiser fan.
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2021/06/20 at 06:11 PM.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Sal love om n 300 te he! Sal die FJ mooi komplimenteer
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    Afrispoor Serval

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandveld For This Useful Post:

with the imminent arival of the LC 300, hope the Patrol Y62 get cheaper new and used.

Johan Kriel

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Pretty quick for a big lump that is also very capable in the rough!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Not going to lie, if I was earning double my current salary or had fewer very expensive hobbies I would be all over this. I think it would be a great all-round vehicle, at home both in the bush as well as in front of that expensive country club.

I can just imagine how well it will tow a large boat or eat up the miles on a long journey. Realistically, apart from maybe a next gen Nissan Patrol when it is released or possibly a G-Wagon, what vehicles can compete on even footing in this class? It will be a winner and I say this as someone who has no liking for Toyota in general.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    My 200 always overheated the gearbox reversing my boat up my driveway. Toyota had no idea why. My D4 had no issue. The 200 hill hold also non existent. Poor hill hold or none puts strain on the gearbox when stopping on inclines or declines especially with a trailer. Hand brake on, put in P. When starting and putting in D there is a big clunk. Not lekker. This is in D or R. This happens whether in H or L range.

The FJ has never overheated. The driveway is steep but also clunks the gearbox. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Hopefully the 300 has this sorted as I may look at one then although it will be hard to beat the Defender on price vs features and performance.

There is no doubt the Toyota is a better long term vehicle.

However my buying experience has taught me that Toyota cannot compete with the buying experience. Apart from Halfway Toyota George the other two purchases were woeful. LR go out of their way to make you proud to own one of their products, inmho.

I love my new Defenders hill hold same as the D4, my old Amarok and even the Q5.
    Not sure if you were in low range? I think this is a big trick that a lot of these vehicles should consider. What I loved about centre diff landy's, is the ability to slot it into low range and potter about to your hearts content reversing heavy objects without any diff windup on a solid road/driveway. This was a really big advantage in any situation where you need to manoeuvre a trailer in tight confines.

I was having a slagging off session with Paul Dawson who does the skipper training and keeps giving me gears about my amarok. He said that the one serious thing that his Cruiser Bakkie lacks is this same ability to use LR without locking the centre diff on hard surfaces. Since he lives in Kloof and hauls a 8m duck everyday to work and has a steep driveway this is a pretty significant issue in his life.

I can fully understand why the part time 4WD do this, although you could still get away with it with manual locking front hubs. There is really no reason that a vehicle with a centre diff should not allow you to have LR without locking the centre diff if you so choose.

Either way the defender is a really nice vehicle and if you consider the 300, I am sure you will enjoy it as well. I don't think you can have a crappy ownership experience with either of them?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

I get the impression with the 300 Toyota has for a change been bold and went a bit further than normal technology wise. Very advanced engines and gearbox and high tech all round. Whether that is good or bad will have to be seen.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast