Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Default Re: Land Cruiser 300 - 3.3L V6 diesel

Can't agree more! The LC300 will become the next big pavement hopper in Pretoria!
    Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    The fortuner can take you where the LC300 can so electing to spend 3 times more for the LC is more of status than anything else.
    Admin removed

I'm an huge toyota fan I've owned a hikux FJ62 Landcruiser 80 Series cruiser 3 Fortuner but on my last upgrade driving the 200 just didn't give me that class you get in the German cars yes I know an BMW X5 won't go where an Landcruiser wil and yes it will last 1 000 000km but for me buying new and selling in motorplan the BMW just makes more sense

Does anyone know how much this new LC300 is going to cost?
    Admin removed

I am very glad toyota fitted a V6 to the LC300 as this gives me hope that they Wil put that motor into the hilux! I mean can you image that beast!
    Admin removed

Finally, the New Defender has something to compete against.

If someone gets one, please can we get together to do a nice amateur comparison video. (Totally stock though)
    Off road challenge, on road challenge, and tug of war.

OFF-ROAD: I suspect with 3 difflocks, the LC300 will be impressive in terms of traction.
    But ground clearance still at 235mm isn't great given the wheelbase is 16cm longer and no air suspension. Has ladder on frame chassis though.

ON-ROAD, it will be close (comparing 3.5l petrol of the LC to 3.0 petrol of the P400) , I wouldn't be surprised if the ND has it covered on all on-road aspects barring maaaaybe aceleration but It's how that power gets put down. And also the LC is still a fatty at 200kg heavier. Dynamics and braking should go NDs way with ease.

Will be super entertaining to watch, like a heavyweight title contest

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:

Considering how snobbish this got we may as well all get the new Defender (which i am thinking of)

I am a member of many Land Cruiser only Clubs and groups. Something I have noticed is that Land Cruiser owners seldom compare their vehicles with those of other manufacturers. It is very seldom that the name of other vehicles are even mentioned.

Interesting is how people always need to remind themselves that the XYZ is so much better than a Cruiser.
    So many want to hang a soft roader tag on the luxury Cruisers yet they remain the choice of the UN and many other Armies.
    The 200 Series made its name as a very tough 4x4 in the Mid East wars. Something no other Luxury 4x4 could achieve.
    I am sure the 300 will follow in the footsteps of the 200.

We have a family member that is involved in testing new vehicles. Be sure there is no manufacturer that do more intensive testing than Toyota does.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/06/16 at 06:32 AM.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Problem is that these sustained heavy loads, cook the hydraulic oil. Case in point, the Ranger gearboxes. Now double that load and hold thumbs it lasts?
    Henri you should know better than this. An auto box only cooks the oil when the torque converter slips for a prolonged period under heavy load. The gearbox in the 300 is arguably the most advanced currently fitted to an off roader. It is a direct shift box with a very unique lock up mechanism. Go have a look at the working of the box. If it overheats in prolonged heavy work I will be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm an huge toyota fan I've owned a hikux FJ62 Landcruiser 80 Series cruiser 3 Fortuner but on my last upgrade driving the 200 just didn't give me that class you get in the German cars yes I know an BMW X5 won't go where an Landcruiser wil and yes it will last 1 000 000km but for me buying new and selling in motorplan the BMW just makes more sense

Does anyone know how much this new LC300 is going to cost?
    I do not understand why anyone would mention the LC 200/300 and an X5 in the same argument. Two completely different vehicles and clearly not aimed at the same customer. If an X5 suits your needs then a LC200/300 never was logically part of your vehicle pool of choice.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

My 200 always overheated the gearbox reversing my boat up my driveway. Toyota had no idea why. My D4 had no issue. The 200 hill hold also non existent. Poor hill hold or none puts strain on the gearbox when stopping on inclines or declines especially with a trailer. Hand brake on, put in P. When starting and putting in D there is a big clunk. Not lekker. This is in D or R. This happens whether in H or L range.

The FJ has never overheated. The driveway is steep but also clunks the gearbox. Maybe Iím doing something wrong?

Hopefully the 300 has this sorted as I may look at one then although it will be hard to beat the Defender on price vs features and performance.

There is no doubt the Toyota is a better long term vehicle.

However my buying experience has taught me that Toyota cannot compete with the buying experience. Apart from Halfway Toyota George the other two purchases were woeful. LR go out of their way to make you proud to own one of their products, inmho.

I love my new Defenders hill hold same as the D4, my old Amarok and even the Q5.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    My 200 always overheated the gearbox reversing my boat up my driveway..
    Even in low range?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Even in low range?
    Same question crossed my mind.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can't agree more! The LC300 will become the next big pavement hopper in Pretoria!
    This coming from a guy who lives in Pretoria with 19inch rims on a V6 Amarok...
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

How on earth did this just become a soft roader thread.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    How on earth did this just become a soft roader thread.

We somehow let the new Defender guys in...
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

My 200 always overheated the gearbox reversing my boat up my driveway. Toyota had no idea why. My D4 had no issue. The 200 hill hold also non existent. Poor hill hold or none puts strain on the gearbox when stopping on inclines or declines especially with a trailer. Hand brake on, put in P. When starting and putting in D there is a big clunk. Not lekker. This is in D or R. This happens whether in H or L range.
    One way to overcome the clunk is to put gear in N,apply handbrake,foot off brake so handbrake can take slack and then move to P.The clunk should be gone on startup.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Even in low range?
    Yes. Especially when weather is hot and after driving on sand then back to house, back in low range and reverse boat up driveway. Toyota sent a tech to my house and was stumped. Recommended to let car cool down before reversing. By this time I bought the FJ and no issues with overheating.
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2021/06/16 at 10:06 AM.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    One way to overcome the clunk is to put gear in N,apply handbrake,foot off brake so handbrake can take slack and then move to P.The clunk should be gone on startup.
    With a heavy trailer on a steep hill, I tried that but any small movement after putting in P still causes an issue every now and again.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    We somehow let the new Defender guys in...
    Because they still own a Toyota and still interested in a 300 at some stage... whatís the problem? Donít you like an unbiased opinion?
    Bruce Hunter

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

The FJ has never overheated. The driveway is steep but also clunks the gearbox. Maybe Iím doing something wrong?

Hopefully the 300 has this sorted as I may look at one then although it will be hard to beat the Defender on price vs features and performance.

There is no doubt the Toyota is a better long term vehicle.

However my buying experience has taught me that Toyota cannot compete with the buying experience. Apart from Halfway Toyota George the other two purchases were woeful. LR go out of their way to make you proud to own one of their products, inmho.

I love my new Defenders hill hold same as the D4, my old Amarok and even the Q5.
    Ok, we get it, you are anti Toyota 200 because of your experience with one. Please dont brush the 300 with the same brush when you havent even seen one in real life yet, let alone driven one.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Yes. Especially when weather is hot and after driving on sand then back to house, back in low range and reverse boat up driveway. Toyota sent a tech to my house and was stumped. Recommended to let car cool down before reversing. By this time I bought the FJ and no issues with overheating.

Did you ever replace the ATF after this happened and before trying again?
    IMHO if ATF overheated once it is toast and should be replaced ASAP.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Ok, we get it, you are anti Toyota 200 because of your experience with one. Please dont brush the 300 with the same brush when you havent even seen one in real life yet, let alone driven one.
    Eish! Bruce is IMHO one of the most objective posters on the Forum. Don't let your emotions get the better of you!

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast