Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Default Re: Land Cruiser 300 - 3.3L V6 diesel

200 series in my eyes is a soft roader.

I'll stick to the 70 series cruisers, one for leisure and one as a work horse.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    200 series in my eyes is a soft roader.>

I'll stick to the 70 series cruisers, one for leisure and one as a work horse.
    The 3.5 twin t V6 petrol in a 70 would be awesome! But I guess that is something we can only dream of...
    Last edited by Monkey-D; 2021/06/16 at 01:20 PM.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
    The 3.5 twin t V6 petrol in a 70 would be awesome! But I guess that is something we can only dream of...
    Yes, maybe, maybe not, but I think that might be a possibility in future, seeing that the V8 may? not be available in future.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/06/16 at 01:38 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Ok, we get it, you are anti Toyota 200 because of your experience with one. Please dont brush the 300 with the same brush when you havent even seen one in real life yet, let alone driven one.
    I Have not and even expressed my interest….
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Did you ever replace the ATF after this happened and before trying again?
    IMHO if ATF overheated once it is toast and should be replaced ASAP.
    Interesting point. Toyota never recommended this even when the tech saw it happen.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Interesting point. Toyota never recommended this even when the tech saw it happen.

It's well documented that ATF is for life and never has to be replaced in Toyota's opinion, it's however similarly well documented that many users find this to be BS and found that replacing ATF as preventative maintenance at higher kilos or if they experienced some box issues made a big difference.

A few years back a friend had to practically beg Toyota to replace the ATF on his v6 Hilux after he cooked it due to his own stupidity, even though he said he cooked it and could clearly smell it being cooked, they still insisted that the ATF in that box never has to be changed and that it will be just fine.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/06/16 at 02:35 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am very glad toyota fitted a V6 to the LC300 as this gives me hope that they Wil put that motor into the hilux! I mean can you image that beast!
    We just got news Today that one of the off road racing Hiluxes is now fitted with the 3.5 Twin Turbo engine instead of the V8! But we don't know yet if Giniel or Lategaan will drive it!
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

I am not a Toyota man. Had a Hilux which was a disaster and later a D4D Fortuner which did exactly what it said on the box.

That said, any Cruiser Wagon, 200 or new 300, can fill my garage at anytime. They are what they are - big, bold & indestructable. Certainly not a softroader. They are the Alpha dogs of SUV's (that actually makes it out of Sandton).

Maybe one day when I do less kms per year...........from a non-fan nogal.
    Jaco Nell

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

My 200 always overheated the gearbox reversing my boat up my driveway. Toyota had no idea why. My D4 had no issue. The 200 hill hold also non existent. Poor hill hold or none puts strain on the gearbox when stopping on inclines or declines especially with a trailer. Hand brake on, put in P. When starting and putting in D there is a big clunk. Not lekker. This is in D or R. This happens whether in H or L range.
    Bruce, I wouldn't be worried about the "clunk". When you put the gear selector into P, the gearbox is not under any strain since it is in neutral. It is a locking mechanism on the prop shaft which prevents the shaft from turning. That thing is designed to do what it does, even clunk when parked up or down hill.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I Have not and even expressed my interest….
    Ok cool. When you do eventually get to drive one please let us know how it went.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Eish! Bruce is IMHO one of the most objective posters on the Forum. Don't let your emotions get the better of you!
    No emotions at all. Just noticed he has a dislike for one specific 200 that he owed.

If he is that objective, im sure he will not let his experiences with his 200 cloud his 300 experience.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post

If he is that objective, im sure he will not let his experiences with his 200 cloud his 300 experience.
    Judging by his response, that is that is the case in fact.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

It's well documented that ATF is for life and never has to be replaced in Toyota's opinion, it's however similarly well documented that many users find this to be BS and found that replacing ATF as preventative maintenance at higher kilos or if they experienced some box issues made a big difference.

A few years back a friend had to practically beg Toyota to replace the ATF on his v6 Hilux after he cooked it due to his own stupidity, even though he said he cooked it and could clearly smell it being cooked, they still insisted that the ATF in that box never has to be changed and that it will be just fine.
    Strange, in the FJ owner's manual the service schedule shows that the ATF must be checked every 40k km and changed when necessary.
    2012 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Strange, in the FJ owner's manual the service schedule shows that the ATF must be checked every 40k km and changed when necessary.

Is this on the TSA service schedules as well or only in the owners manual?

Maybe @JWR can chime in here, but as far as I have it, TSA is of the opinion that ATF is for life.
    Also check this thread https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...e-Oil%E2%80%9D
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Toyota service schedule says to "inspect " the Automatic transmission fluid every 40000km.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jörg Reddig

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Interesting for me to see that the 3.5 v6 petrol is running a watercooled intercooler with 2 additional radiators to keep the intercooler cool . I just can't see if its running a seperate cooling system or if it is somehow integrated into the standard cooling , I do see that it has its own electric waterpump , giving me the idea it is probably seperate !
    Jörg Reddig

Is this on the TSA service schedules as well or only in the owners manual?

Maybe @JWR can chime in here, but as far as I have it, TSA is of the opinion that ATF is for life.
    Also check this thread https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...e-Oil%E2%80%9D
    No, some dealership workshop managers might be of the opinion that it's sealed for life.
    And since hardly anyone reads the owner's manual properly, they get away with it and these rumours are being spread.
    People should stick to facts more often.
    2012 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    A Jimny can take you where a Fortuner take you,
    True. But it is a much smaller car. I mentioned fortuner its space configuration is near identical to 300.

a quad bike can take you where a Jimny take you.....
    OK now let's not be very emotional on the argument

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
    It's not about just getting somewhere. If that was the only goal, a Fortuner is way too expensive.

A tent is a roof over your head to keep you out of the rain. Do you live in a tent or a house?

You can eat with your hands. Or do you prefer a knife, fork and/or spoon?

It's about so much more than getting somewhere...
    By the way, it is okay, perfectly ok to differentiate oneself if it makes u happy. You can work hard and play hard. I know a folks that can afford to have a G63 every year, but his love for the green earth makes him buy every new Yaris 1.0 and he is very happy.

But truth remains, some toys are simple symbols of display of status. And what a boring world it would have been for everyone if we were guilty of showing off to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    By the way, it is okay, perfectly ok to differentiate oneself if it makes u happy. You can work hard and play hard. I know a folks that can afford to have a G63 every year, but his love for the green earth makes him buy every new Yaris 1.0 and he is very happy.

But truth remains, some toys are simple symbols of display of status. And what a boring world it would have been for everyone if we were guilty of showing off to each other.
    It's not just about displaying status, etc. A 200 or 300 cruiser will be infinitely better "screwed together" than the bakkie based Fortuner. You can already feel that difference between a Prado and a Fortuner, and I am sure a Cruiser will be just a big of a jump in perceived quality and NVH levels.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast