Leisure travel to Botswana. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Leisure travel to Botswana.

Why so protective. It is well known that Bots tourism operators did and do not reimburse. Moving bookings is bulls#$%% since the unknown is to big. Will the operator still exist, will the bookings be available etc.. Stop trying to paint a bloody rosy picture. Acknowledge the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    If you wanna go this way then put the proof where your mouth is.
    So far you just stirred some $#!t without any evidence.

Maybe read it v e r y s l o w l e y to understand the difference between a legitimate claim (with figures, dates and facts) and just venting off some steam in any particular direction.

If there i a difference in handling a case between SA, NAM and BW operators, then say so and suggest changes or adjustments in a creative way, there is little use generalisation in this case.
    2002 Discovery td5

Are you sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by NDMBots View Post
    How do you normally book?
    Maybe you were cheated, all who book in Bots have thier bookings re booked and refunde where needed.

So maybe you need to make a thorough follow up in your bookings if you were booked.

Thanks
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Are you sure?
    I'm not certain about refunds per se but rebookings are certainly being made. Our travel plans, like many, were adversely impacted by the worldwide lockdown. We have credits with the following organisations, all of whom were booked and fully paid for before lockdown: SAA, KLM, Air Mauritius, Mauritian Hotel, NDM (the originator of the comment you were responding to). None of these operators offered us a refund but all offered us a travel voucher that could be used in the future. This in NOT a Botswana only phenomenon. Whilst this is not ideal in some instances we understand the rationale and have accepted it with good grace.

On another point, I wish to give my views on agents fees. Agents fees, in our case BWP550 for 30 nights booked in Botswana formed a very small percentage (3.4%) of our overall trip costs. Through no fault of the booking agent, we used NDM, they have to start from scratch and redo all our booking. In reality their income at present is zero as they are concentrating all their energy on rebooking for next year. If we don't pay, the agent goes bust and everyone loses. I gladly paid a further BWP550. However, the end resort, I believe must honour the nights I have paid for with no increased fees. NDM did NOT ask me to pay the BWP550, I volunteered to pay the BWP550 because I believe it is the honourable thing to do.

Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/09/20 at 07:31 AM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Why so protective. It is well known that Bots tourism operators did and do not reimburse. Moving bookings is bulls#$%% since the unknown is to big. Will the operator still exist, will the bookings be available etc.. Stop trying to paint a bloody rosy picture. Acknowledge the facts.

I think the issue is that the problems you are commenting on are not widely experienced. We had no issues, many others had no issues, rescheduling. I didn’t even think of asking for a refund, because going there is one of my absolute favorite trips - my concern was securing an equally good trip when we can travel - and our agent helped us with that with no problems. Your approach is to shame the whole industry yet provide no specifics. As someone else posted - please do boycott it. Spots are hard enough to get as it is.

As to acknowledge the facts - what others and I have posted about our experiences...are facts. You were asked about yours...
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2020/09/20 at 06:11 AM.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    I think the issue is that the problems you are commenting on are not widely experienced. We had no issues, many others had no issues, rescheduling. I didnít even think of asking for a refund, because going there is one of my absolute favorite trips - my concern was securing an equally good trip when we can travel - and our agent helped us with that with no problems. Your approach is to shame the whole industry yet provide no specifics. As someone else posted - please do boycott it. Spots are hard enough to get as it is.

As to acknowledge the facts - what others and I have posted about our experiences...are facts. You were asked about yours...
    Absolutely my sentiments, thanks.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:‚Äč‚Äč WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    We amended a trip with Botswana footprints with no problem - it took a while, but everything got sorted...?
    Same here even though it cost us another P500 booking fee. Would loved to be kept informed of developments regarding Bots SoE and leisure travelling though
    Last edited by AndreTunie; 2020/09/21 at 02:24 PM.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Interesting facts. I rebooked my trip. No facts about...I got my bookings reimbursed. Rebooking is easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTunie View Post
    Same here even though it cost us another P500 booking fee. Would loved to be kept informed of developments regarding Bots SoE and leisure travelling though
    2002 Discovery td5

Interesting facts. I rebooked my trip. No facts about...I got my bookings reimbursed. Rebooking is easy.

Perhaps because nobody else on here asked for a refund. So, if you asked an operator for a refund, and they refused, and the terms of sale were such that a refund was available, then you should share those details. But again, I don't understand why you would not just reschedule.

It's not like a flight from JNB to Cape Town for a weekend.

So-o-o-o-o....back to the OP's original question - is there any solid news or even good rumors as to the opening of Botswana border posts for leisure travel from South Africa?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nicom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nicom View Post
    So-o-o-o-o....back to the OP's original question - is there any solid news or even good rumors as to the opening of Botswana border posts for leisure travel from South Africa?

And are there any money back guarantees?

I think I have said this before, but here it comes again:

Anybody who expects a refund from non-state-owned tourism enterprises is in my opinion being both unreasonable and naÔve.
    These businesses don't make a hell of a lot of profit at the best of times, but they have now been without any income for half a year. The fact that any of them are still open is what surprises me. They simply don't have the reserves.

If we as customers want to continue using them, we need at the very least to support them by moving rather than cancelling.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Perhaps one should consider getting Travel insurance for peace of mind when planning a trip. We have done this in the past but only for overseas trips. Unfortunately this comes at a cost.

To expect that a small travel/leisure company to carry this type risk is not fair. Hats off to all the Bots agents for their handling of the Covid lock down related problems.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

I phoned Martins drift Bots side yesterday and the lady said they're waiting for announcements and instructions, they have no idea when the Bots side will open.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Heard last night that they are holding a special meeting to lengthen the state of emergency...looks like the closure will be even longer ??

Emergency meeting being held on Monday the 28th to extended the SOE in Botswana. Seems like its still a way to go before Botswana opens its borders for leisure.
    Respect the Horn

2018 Hilux 2.8 GD6
    2012 Fortuner 2.5
    2012 Conqueror Courage

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rasper43 For This Useful Post:

There's rumors that it'll be extended with another 6 months, but that's just rumors... We'll know for sure after Monday's meeting.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

SoE doesn't necessarily mean closed borders

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Tell me more.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Hi All.
    We have just made a booking for Chobe, Savuti and Moremi for April 2021 through Wild Botswana Safaris owned and run by James Torr.
    He lives in Maun but since lock down and currently is in Cape Town. He arranged our bookings with the understanding that if travel in April next year is not permitted, he would be able to postpone them.
    Maybe he could help you. [email protected] or whats app. +267 750 99982

So at this point in time it seems that Bots is not open to RSA for leisure travel
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2