Fronius Inverters - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fronius Inverters

Many thanks to the knowledgeable fellows that are providing suggestions. Re China, there is a surprising amount of stuff that is coming from Taiwan, who I will not mention in the same breath as China (although they are probably sourcing a lot from China.) I know Fronius is Austrian and Victron is Dutch, I think, but as Fluffy said, probably both sourcing or assembling in China. I am really not liking China these days.

I will have to put on my thinking cap and dig into some specs and details here, but many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My Axpert is around 2013 vintage and while it is going fine, I think it would be worth looking at a better option now that I am a little more setup. The great thing with this whole solar journey is that it is very modular so you can build the pieces as cash allows. As with all designs however, it is best to figure out where you want to end up and then work backwards from there. Knowing what I do now, I should have dig deeper at the beginning to get a smarter inverter/MPPT etc, and built off that with batteries and panels and such. Now I have all the other bits, but have the wrong inverter at the centre of the system. Anyway one lives and learns.

I am going to look into the guys Bruce recommended, but off to KZN this weekend for Folks Birthday and perhaps I will drag the boat out for a quick spot of fishing and then revisit all of this next week. Sadly my sparkie who did the installation managed the compliance side of things, but he is out of his depth by his own admission re the technicalities of the different classes of inverters so not much use for this discussion. Your collective input is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I believe this is not true for a Multiplus with a frequency shift capable grid tied inverter (eg Fronius or Solis) connected on its output side (AC-Coupled). The only caveat is that you can't have a larger grid tied inverter than the multi and you need a large enough battery bank that can sink the excess current when a load disconnects.
    What Fluffy said, especially the disclaimer part.

For clarification for others reading this:
    Normal install is the grid tied inverter connected direct into the main DB, and not after the i.e. Multiplus, Axpert etc.
    So that Fronius, any size, will be before the smaller Multiplus.

AFAIK Fronius is already integrated with Victron equipment, menu option, so it is much easier to make it work with all the T&C's, expert knowledge and all that, having checked the wind direction too.

Using a Solis, now that is a DIY project, so don't call Victron support, support will call you - not!
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I'm working on it. .

OK - using a simple mains activated switch over contactor.

Op's Normal -
    Grid Tie inverter generates power from PV and Syncs to mains. We now feed this to the Axpert that is charging batteries and supplying load via bypass function. All good. Maximum use of PV, batteries charged, Load can be as much as Mains AND PV Grid Tie together can supply. (the old mix and share boogy man)

Mains Fails (LS etc) -
    Contactor drops out. Grid Tie's mains side is rerouted to output of Axpert. Axpert sees power fail at its input and switches the load from bypass to its output. Load is now running from the Batteries via the Axpert -- BUT -- The Grid tie is connected to the Axperts output via the Contactor, so the Grid Tie sees the Axperts 220v AC output as mains. The Grid Tie syncs to the Axpert and thinks the mains is OK and generates power, the same as it would if there was mains. (which there is, its just coming from the Axpert and not EKSDOM)

--------------------------

Serious Disclaimer - DONT TRY THIS AT HOME.

There are little issues like timing that need to be tested and possibly resolved. If you just suck it and see it could be fine or disastrous, depending on the exact choice of equipment, mode settings and the direction of the wind..

Fluffy

I did not know you could do this. Care to brand the contactor and model number with me? I suppose this is a manual switch?
    2018 Triton 4x4 2.4 Di-D
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Fluffy

I did not know you could do this. Care to brand the contactor and model number with me? I suppose this is a manual switch?
    A contactor is essentially a big relay. It is not a manual switch - the coil is energised from the mains (or whatever other control system) and when the coil is de-energised, the contactor switches off / it changes state. The type and size you require will depend on the maximum load that it needs to switch.
    Last edited by An3s; 2020/09/17 at 12:47 PM.
    ZS6VL

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    A contactor is essentially a big relay. It is not a manual switch - the coil is energised from the mains (or whatever other control system) and when the coil is de-energised, the contactor switches off / it changes state. The type and size you require will depend on the maximum load that it needs to switch.
    One can even use a BIG BROTHER relay where you change state by unlatching the current state with a 2nd coil. 8 contacts to parallel or use in series when switching DC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2