Nissan x trail 2.2D Help/advice needed!

Question Nissan x trail 2.2D Help/advice needed!

Hi,
    I am a new member to your forum and I desperately need some technical help and advice on the following:

In the last month or two I have noticed that my power is down somewhat. but more noticeably when I am going uphill it almost feels that I am taking my foot of the accelerator, kind of a dead spot of some sort. This normally happens around the 2500-3200 RPM band.

I have tried the following:
    Changed Diesel filter,air filter,oil
    Cleaned the Airflow sensor,
    Dynatune from SAC confirmed that the power (kw and Torque) drops significantly after 3500 revs with no explanation?

GerritC whats the km's on your X trail and what diesel do you use?

Hi, a reply...at last!
    I have 68 000km on the clock and I use low sulpher diesel. I have also started using injector cleaner fuel additives in the last month or two.

I have now replaced the MAF sensor...with no change to my problem,
    check the EGC valve...seems to be fine.
    I have also noticed increased "knocking" in the mornings, so my gut feel is that it could be one of the injectors. Quote from the dealers: R6000 excl Vat for one injector!

Any suggestions?

Hi

Your injectors needs replacment or your turbo is faulty. Also check your intercooler for leaks.

I had to replace my injectors on 105 000km and again on 130 000km. Luckily on 130 000km it was under warranty. Nissan then told me I must use 50ppm diesel.

My X trail never had power loss, it only smoked alot and was heavy on fuel. Now its fine. 110kW/ 317 nm on front wheels

IC Nissan in Roodepoort was very helpfull and referd me to Midrand Turbo and Diesel, they soon sorted my problem out. Speak to Patric.

Hope you get it fixed.

dnld Guest

Not the kind of thing I wanna hear. Trying to decide between a 2007 2.5 petrol and a 2.2D x-trail (both around 30 000km). I enjoy driving a diesel more, although I'm not familiar with the diesel x-trail reputation, plus the 2.5 is real pap, even at high revs.

Hi Dnld,

Not sure on the 2007 version but I have a 2004 X-Trial 2.5 petrol. My vehicle is anything but slow/underpowered. Is your opinion based on test drives or opinion? How many vehicles have you test driven?
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Hi,
    Diesel vs Petrol....?
    I have a 2,2 Diesel and I can say the following:
    1-light on fuel,
    2-more than enough power and low down torque,
    3-Probably the most confortable vehicle I have ever driven, BUT

The diesel needs a lot of attention,
    so far I have changed a MAF sensor R2000, dealers quote R8000
    Fitted a new turbo R12 000
    and it would seem that my injectors are on their way out, dealers quote R6000 per injector!

Per discussion with a diesel mechanic at a Bosch diesel service centre he had only one thing to say and it was not exactly what I had in mind. Lets just say they are making a lot of bucks just on x diesel x trails.

Do yourself a favour and surf for reviews and forums on the net on the Xtrail 2.2D.
    When things are 100% it is a joy to drive, but if something goes wrong...you pay!

Till later...

dnld Guest

I drive a 2005 low mileage 2.2cdi Vito at the moment and love it (whiplash pull), but yes Gerrit, there's always that uncertainty....turbo's, injectors, etc. Then again, my understanding is that only using 50ppm diesel makes a huge difference (which I hardly use, 'cause it's hard to find in CT).

Maybe I'm just used to the diesel, but still, the 2.5 petrol I test drove was pap (also the Outlander I tried, put foot and the revs go up, but nothing happens). I'm gonna try another 2.5 at the dealer tomorrow to compare, 'cause besides the "pull", it's a very nice ride.

Hi dnld

I have tested a 2.5 petrol before and it would beat my 2.2diesel anyday.

I will buy an Xtrail in the future but not a diesel.

The Xtrail is a very good car but I think the 2.5 petrol is the best. Just remember you will have to replace the 2.2diesel's injectors on 100 000km.

Yes 50ppm diesel is the best to use in modern diesels.

Ianvank Guest

Default diesel injectors

Hi gerrit.
    i have the 2003 model with 166000km on clock. I am experiencing the same problem as what you refer to. Took vehicle to a bosch diesel centre who advisee it is the injectors that are dirty. they can clean them with ultra sonic sound waves to dislodge any dirt. However, if the injectors are pitted in anyway, they can do nothing about that.
    one of the responses in your thread referred to a diesel centre in midrand. this is now the second time that i hear of these guys. I am thinkingof taking my vehicle to them very soon to clean my injectors for a start then only run on 50ppm diesel.
    maybe you should check them out as well. hope you come right. 6k for an injector is bloody rediculous.
    regards
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by dnld View Post
    I drive a 2005 low mileage 2.2cdi Vito at the moment and love it (whiplash pull), but yes Gerrit, there's always that uncertainty....turbo's, injectors, etc. Then again, my understanding is that only using 50ppm diesel makes a huge difference (which I hardly use, 'cause it's hard to find in CT).

Maybe I'm just used to the diesel, but still, the 2.5 petrol I test drove was pap (also the Outlander I tried, put foot and the revs go up, but nothing happens). I'm gonna try another 2.5 at the dealer tomorrow to compare, 'cause besides the "pull", it's a very nice ride.

http://www.naamsa.co.za/unleaded/databases/availability.php

This will tell you where u can get 50ppm diesel
    2005 Nissan H\B 4x4 D\C TD - 32" duelers, 5 door alu canopy, 29 MHz
    2006 XTrail 2.5 4x4 - moms taxi
    2001 Yamaha WR 400

110kw and 317nm, did you have it chiped? My 09 dci has 110kw and 320nm. Unichip claims 120kw and 385nm after chip is installed.

Have to find out if it will cancell the waranty. Dont think I need to chip though, it has enough power. Talk to Dastec about your prob, they are good.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2009/07/16 at 02:29 PM.

The chip will cause you to lose the warranty!

This thread scares me. I took extended 5 yr Motorite maintenance plan on my 2.2 diesel, which ends in October with 75000km on the clock. I had planned to keep this another 3 - 5 years but with these costs for injectors and turbos, I may get rid of it now! We have loved the performance, comfort and ride of the Xtrail and would be sad to lose it! It has a lot of power for a 2.2!
    Doug
    Pajero 3.5V6 SWB (Gen 3)
    Yes I had to sell my fantastic Triton
    Going to miss it dearly!

Drove SWAMBO's 2003 X-Trail (2.2D) about 3 weeks ago and felt it was down on power. Was told that you can't compare a Polo TDi Sportline to a X-Trail and stopped the conversation immediately

This has been bugging me all along and I've been reading a lot on various forums about possible causes - all of which comes down to LOTS OF MONEY. Today I gathered the courage to buy electrical contact cleaner and stripped the MAF sensor. Having read as much as possible I took EXTREME care when handling the unit and made sure I did not touch internal wire of the sensor. After cleaning the unit (quite a lot of dirt came out of the unit) and allowing it time to dry, I reassembled it and took the car for a drive.

There has been a big improvement in the cars acceleration - especially from low down (I noticed people saying the 2.2D's have lots of low down torque - now I can feel it). Driving the vehicle along a route we travelled daily the past few days, I have noticed that I don't have to downshift anymore to accelerate - In-gear acceleration has dramatically improved from low-down. Thinking back to when we purchased it about a year ago (at 100 000km and now at 130 000km), it's never performed like this.

I do however have one question to other 2.2D owners - do you also notice a change in the engine sound once you reach about 3200rpm?

Regards,

Hi Maruis
    Ek het dieselfde probleem met my X Trail 2.2 D as wat jy gehad het in 2009.Sal graag met jou wil praat oor wat jy presies gedoen het om jou X Trail se probleem optelos.

Wat van die nuwe X-trail? Ook probleme?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Default Nissan Power Issues

My Xtrail 2.2D 2003 has been through the whole power story. In and out the dealership for 3 months no soltion but 15,000 out of pocket! Replaced the airflow sensor, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, had the injectors sonic cleaned at Bosch, and even contemplated letting the dealership (dealership) take it off my hands for 40,000!

The dealership was out of ideas so i decided to do some google homework and found someone who swears by the 2 stroke story so out of desperation i put 2 stroke oil into the diesel tank and bob's your uncle 2 tanks down the road the loss of power was all but gone. For 2 months it was just smoky as hell when I accelerated so i eventually replaced the injectors (25,000 ).

It has been running like a dream since and I continue with a bottle of 2 stroke with every full tank. It may be my imagination but the engine runs alot quieter and with more in gear power and acceleration!

That is my 2 cents on the matter.

I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe after my Navara writeoff. Awesome vehicle throughout as long as it runs. Overheated one afternoon. Cracked the top. Couldn't find any parts in SA except at the dealers. Got a quote for the empty top = R21000. Topgasket kit R4500. 8 x intake valves = R21000. 8x exhuast valves = R28000. Diesel filter = R600. Intercooler = R12000. Injectors = R12000 piece. It is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned.

Bought an extra vehicle in the form of a 2006 Nissan X Trail (R59) 2.2 DCi. So glad to be back in a Nissan. Went to MIDAS toe get some parts before the holiday. Quote was R972 for all three fanbelts, Oil filter, Diesel filter and air filter. Seemed to good to be true after the Hyundai incident.

What I learned is that there are so many high quality private firms out there that can help you much cheaper on excellent parts and service.