Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring system

I forgot I bought this a few months back. I was browsing TakeAlot for something for the TReg when I saw this for R399. (I see they are out of stock now...... seems like an Amazon type product based on the box) I had just replaced my tyres and had to remove the on rim OEM TPMS senders that were fubar'd (rusted and batteries dead, non replaceable).

Autel TPMS, see here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89LwKT_7_Q or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJP03LHlBk

They seem well made and I made the mistake to tighten them too much (the sensor) so much so that it was leaking via the valve stem core. I found you need to not over tighten the sensor and secure the retaining bolt well. So far works well. The screen is small enough not to get in the way and works on cig lighter port. The unit reads lower than my LongAcre tyre pressure gauge (by 0.1) but I use it to monitor for slow punctures and se my Longacre/compressor to check tyre pressures. Slightly more of a faf to topup air, but the benfit outweighs the inconvenience.

I see the youtuber above says after 2years 2 of his senders are no longer working (wonder if it is just batteries) Either way, happy so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    I forgot I bought this a few months back. I was browsing TakeAlot for something for the TReg when I saw this for R399. (I see they are out of stock now...... seems like an Amazon type product based on the box) I had just replaced my tyres and had to remove the on rim OEM TPMS senders that were fubar'd (rusted and batteries dead, non replaceable).

Autel TPMS, see here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89LwKT_7_Q or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJP03LHlBk

They seem well made and I made the mistake to tighten them too much (the sensor) so much so that it was leaking via the valve stem core. I found you need to not over tighten the sensor and secure the retaining bolt well. So far works well. The screen is small enough not to get in the way and works on cig lighter port. The unit reads lower than my LongAcre tyre pressure gauge (by 0.1) but I use it to monitor for slow punctures and se my Longacre/compressor to check tyre pressures. Slightly more of a faf to topup air, but the benfit outweighs the inconvenience.

I see the youtuber above says after 2years 2 of his senders are no longer working (wonder if it is just batteries) Either way, happy so far.....
    Got a Takealot link?

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    Got a Takealot link?
    As I said, no longer in stock.....

https://www.takealot.com/aukey-tpms-...a/PLID69087255

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I fitted these to my car and bike.

http://cawe.co.za/index.php/products/ngauge4x4
    Ordered, fitted and working as expected.

Excellent Vue for money and with the option of non tyre pressure sensors like the fridge and battery sensors.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Ordered, fitted and working as expected.

Excellent Vue for money and with the option of non tyre pressure sensors like the fridge and battery sensors.
    Update: Fitted the sesnors to our vehicle, trailer and fridge. All working really well. Impressed with the simplicity. Dont mind that I need the app to check readings as the phone is me with all the time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

So what is everyone running? The internal or external sensors? Pros/Cons?

Quote Originally Posted by tsapers View Post
    also considering the Cawe stuff for tyre pressure. Good question in or ext.
    I would say the con of the external is theft, and damage of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    also considering the Cawe stuff for tyre pressure. Good question in or ext.
    I would say the con of the external is theft, and damage of the sun.

I have the externals on both my Pajero and my bike.
    I was looking at buying the internals for the wife as she does not like the look of the externals on her car.

I did however read that with the internal sensors the batteries cant be replaced only on the external sensors can you replace the batteries.
    Going down the rabbit hole that is google I was not able to find any internal sensors than have replaceable batteries.
    They are all sealed units, even the OEM sensors on BMW, Audi, Lexus... Everyone is sealed.

So the batteries on the internals will last more than 3 years. Good enough for me.

I also order a battery monitor and fridge sensor while I was at it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tsapers View Post
    Externals for now. Easier to install.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

I am waiting for my sensors. Went with externals for the vehicle and trailer, sensors for the air suspension, two fridges and for all 3 batteries. will update this thread after some use.
    i have been looking at getting a TPMS system for a while now. The problem i have is space. Most systems go on the dash or on the windscreen. And i just do not want my windscreen filled up with all sorts of stuff.
    I have a GPS and a Action camera mounted already ( and a small dash cam behind the rear view mirror ) and then i had a phone mount too, To add an additional "monitor" was just too much.

I am soon going to be testing a new phone mount, which will keep it off the windscreen. So all in all i am saving space on the thing you need to see through. lol

If all goes well i think this system is going to work great. Imagine the monitor size that you would have needed to monitor all of this separately
    Respect the Horn

2018 Hilux 2.8 GD6
    2012 Fortuner 2.5
    2012 Conqueror Courage

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rasper43 For This Useful Post:

I got the TyreCare 6 sensor TPMS when I changed my Tyres. 4 for the Prado, 2 for the trailer. Got them fitted at TWT:

1-Internal choice of sensor
    2- Replaceable batteries
    3- Solar & USB powered

It wasnít cheap, but I got exactly what I wanted. Itís a small price to pay when safety of family involved.

https://m.takealot.com/tyre-care-6-w...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Verdict on the Cawe system for those that have purchased it?

I am sitting with two sets in my shopping trolley on their website ready to purchase (internal sensors)
    Pieter le Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post

I am sitting with two sets in my shopping trolley on their website ready to purchase (internal sensors)
    I picked up a set last week, installed and immediately went on a trip through the Tankwa Karoo for 4 days.

system worked flawlessly, double checked with an ARB digital guage regularly as part of my test.

very happy thus far

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to empire For This Useful Post:

Good Morning,

Bought and installed external vehicle sensors x 4, trailer sensors x 4 and fridge sensor. Initially worked well until I had a flat tyre. Obviously had to remove the sensor to repair the tyre. Then that sensor would not update the app. Checked the battery and it was flat. Changed the battery and now all vehicle sensors not working!

Have been in touch with supplier and waiting for them to tell me what to do next....

Regards,

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

Just to clarify, I was happy with the system until now. The supplier has been very helpful in trying to sort it out. Hopefully it is something that can be sorted out as I think it is an excellent idea. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Regards,

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

So far been happy, especially with the support. However, I hadn't used it in anger until Wednesday, when I noticed a flat right front tyre the night before. Stupidly I haven't been using the system around town - just me being lazy as I bought it for off-road use. So I used it on Wednesday morning to check the state of the tyre (which I had inflated) to check that it wasn't going down while I drove to a TWT to have the supposed puncture repaired. (Turned out to be a loose valve, no puncture to be found). I certainly appreciated the peace of mind driving with the system running.

Pros:

1. Great, prompt service from the guys.
    2. Appears fairly accurate, although it differs a bit from my hand-held pressure gauge. This doesn't bother me as I'm looking for a differential pressure, not absolute.
    3. Works off an app. on my iPhone - an old one which I've repurposed as a "monitor" for both the TPMS and my solar charger, and maybe later a fridge temperature sensor (from CAWE as well) - all via Bluetooth.
    4. More reasonably priced than most others I looked at.
    5. I like to support local when I can.
    6. In general, I'm very happy

Cons:
    1. On the iPhone (not CAWE's fault) the app. needs to be running "actively" all the time. Else you need a "gateway dongle" (R345) which I have subsequently bought but haven't installed yet.
    2. Unless you use a dedicated old phone as a permanent monitor, it might be a bit awkward to use (swapping between apps).
    3. I went for internal, fearing that external might get damaged or stolen. Unfortunately it seems like the internal sensors don't have replaceable batteries. It's too soon for me to know how long the batteries will last; indications I've been given are "approximately 3 or more years".

Initially it was difficult to see when last a reading had been taken, but they recently updated the app. to show a timestamp of the last reading. readings only really get updated as you're moving (but after only a minute or two, so I'm OK with that).

In general, I would recommend the product - with a big factor being the prompt and friendly service I've had from the guys. Any specific questions, please feel free to PM me as I don't follow the forum every day...

Sorry, only read earlier posts now; apologies for repeating many of the comments...
    Last edited by Ama-newbie; 2020/11/27 at 04:13 PM.
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Default Aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring system

Iíve just received my King Auto TPMS system from Takealot for four external sensors paired to a phone app that does not timeout on my iPhone.

Will give feedback after my road trip to the Richtersveld in a few weeks time.

Last edited by Neville Bailey; 2020/11/30 at 04:24 AM.

Thank you all for the feedback

Cawe system ordered. Inside tire sensor for both the Hilux and the CX5

Will report back on findings
    Pieter le Roux

Received my nGauge internal sensors this morning. Will try to have it fitted over the weekend or early next week

Name:  IMG_5695.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  37.2 KB
    Last edited by Redman; 2020/12/02 at 02:42 PM.
    Pieter le Roux

Received my nGauge internal sensors this morning. Will try to have it fitted over the weekend or early next week

Name:  IMG_5695.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  37.2 KB
    Remember to keep a socket for that valve in your vehicle. You may need it in the bundus, where that size may not be readily available. And a standard spare valve or two.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast