Aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring system - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring system

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I fitted these to my car and bike.

http://cawe.co.za/index.php/products/ngauge4x4
    Thank you, what I have been waiting for. What a brilliant idea. Are you happy with the system?

Kind regards,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made some enquiries with Cawe regarding their product offering. I enquired about the external units:

How easy will it be to inflate tyres when they require a top-up?

The external units can be fitted with an optional anti-theft nut. This is basically just a secondary nut at the back of the unit to make it more difficult to remove, you get a small tool to assist to remove this. This is still just a deterrent. If you really want to remove it, even with the anti-theft nut, you can (this is Africa). So when you need to top up, you need to lock the anti-theft nut in place with the tool to remove the unit. Alternatively, if you donít use the anti-theft nut, you can just unscrew the unit like you would unscrew your valve cap. It is easy to do. For normal users, this is not a problem. If you do a lot of 4x4 driving and you inflate and deflate the tyres often, the internal sensors might be a better choice.

The system will initially be fitted to my Volkswagen Touareg, but I would like to use it on my other car occasionally when required. How easy is it to move the sensors between vehicles?

Very easy, you can swop and change the sensors as you like. You can also have the App installed on multiple phones and all of them will work.

I note that the system needs Bluetooth 5.0. Is this absolute or will lower protocols also work, such as Bluetooth 4.2?

Our current TPMS units are 4.2, so it will work on a 4.2 or higher phone. But our future TPMS units will be BLE5 to offer longer battery life and longer range. For these you need BT5 on your phone.

Are you an internet based company only or do you have a physical presence?

We are an internet based company with no shop/office presence. Should you wish, special arrangements can be made to meet one of our team members to view the products in action.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OettingerTDi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Thank you, what I have been waiting for. What a brilliant idea. Are you happy with the system?

Kind regards,
    I am very happy with the system.
    The app uses your phones GPS to calculate speed as well. You can setup a audible alarm if you go over a certain set speed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Takashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OettingerTDi View Post
    I made some enquiries with Cawe regarding their product offering. I enquired about the external units:

How easy will it be to inflate tyres when they require a top-up?

The external units can be fitted with an optional anti-theft nut. This is basically just a secondary nut at the back of the unit to make it more difficult to remove, you get a small tool to assist to remove this. This is still just a deterrent. If you really want to remove it, even with the anti-theft nut, you can (this is Africa). So when you need to top up, you need to lock the anti-theft nut in place with the tool to remove the unit. Alternatively, if you don’t use the anti-theft nut, you can just unscrew the unit like you would unscrew your valve cap. It is easy to do. For normal users, this is not a problem. If you do a lot of 4x4 driving and you inflate and deflate the tyres often, the internal sensors might be a better choice.

The system will initially be fitted to my Volkswagen Touareg, but I would like to use it on my other car occasionally when required. How easy is it to move the sensors between vehicles?

Very easy, you can swop and change the sensors as you like. You can also have the App installed on multiple phones and all of them will work.

I note that the system needs Bluetooth 5.0. Is this absolute or will lower protocols also work, such as Bluetooth 4.2?

Our current TPMS units are 4.2, so it will work on a 4.2 or higher phone. But our future TPMS units will be BLE5 to offer longer battery life and longer range. For these you need BT5 on your phone.

Are you an internet based company only or do you have a physical presence?

We are an internet based company with no shop/office presence. Should you wish, special arrangements can be made to meet one of our team members to view the products in action.
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/09/21 at 11:13 AM.
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

What is battery life of these systems?
    If you have an internal tmps, you obviously have to take tires off when replacing batteries, which means additional costs for fitment and balancing?

Should be able to see screen on andriod auto and apple carplay devices
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

I met with Werner from CAWE systems yesterday in Fourways to actually check whether my (old) iPhone 7 and Bluetooth 4.2 worked, and it did.

Based on that, and chatting to Werner, I have ordered the standard 4-sensor system plus one extra sensor for the spare wheel. My reasoning for the extra sensor was that if I had to use the spare after a puncture, it would be useful to monitor the pressure in the spare as well. I also thought it was an idea to monitor the spare anyway, as they are sometimes difficult to check on a bakkie. As an aside, I bought an "extender pipe" by Indeflate that can fit to the spare and then be used to top it up without having to drop the wheel. R209 at 4x4 Megaworld in Sloane - which I think is a fair price for the convenience. I often don't bother to check the spare because it's a PITA to drop it. More info here : https://www.indeflate.co.za/products...el-detail.html. But I digress...

I was impressed with Werner (if I heard correctly he's their app. development guy), and although they are a very new company (December 2019, I believe), I think they have great plans, and seemed very enthusiastic about expanding. Other products at the moment include a battery monitor, fridge monitor and a few others - check out their website. They are planning to extend their range.

Personally I went for the internal sensors which will need to be installed by a tyre fitment centre - cost still to be determined. The external ones are a little bit big, and I can foresee damage for those guys who like to do a bit of rock-crawling as they also stick out a bit. I also think that despite locknuts, they could be fairly easily stolen, and since you just need the app. to use them, they could be easily used after being stolen.

Once I have them installed I will happily feedback on this thread...
    Rob Kirk, sometimes known as "Captain" by my mates

Amarok V6.....
    ... and a scooter

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    Should be able to see screen on andriod auto and apple carplay devices
    Once mine arrive, I will check this out....

Amarok V6.....
    ... and a scooter

While driving how does the system warn of low tyre pressure?
    I presume your ‘phone should sound a warning?
    Last edited by PRA; 2020/09/22 at 07:09 AM.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    While driving how does the system warn of low tyre pressure?
    I presume your Ďphone should sound a warning?

That was my understanding, although on the iPhone the app. must be running (even if the screen is off). Werner spoke about a "dongle" that plugs into the cigarette lighter that would alert you even if you had force-closed the app. I think he said this wasn't an issue with Android (much to the disgust of my Apple-bigoted mind )

My thoughts at the moment are to have the app. running and displaying whenever I'm in a situation when low tyre pressure could be an issue - like driving in the bush. Also hoping with Apple Carplay I can see the display on my car screen. It's unlikely under those circumstances I'll be using my phone for anything else, as I'm unlikely to have cell phone reception...

I'll have to wait and see when I get the sensors, and feed back after I've had them for a few days/weeks...

Amarok V6.....
    ... and a scooter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    ... the iPhone the app. must be running.
    Deal breaker for me.

Over many years I used several TyreDog and TireMoni TPMS systems - like most/all of these systems they are unreliable.
    You don't know if the displayed values are current or from hours ago, or should a problem occur, will you be notified?

This system is unfortunately the same.
    I wish it wasn't - I would love a reliable system.

I would love a system that where the tyre sensors are polled every (say) 2 minutes with the facility to force a poll if you wanted to.

Travelling rough off-road tracks I've saved two tyres (plus rims maybe) if I'd not been warned of reducing/low tyre pressures by the TPMSs.

But travelling thousands of kilometres on tarred highways also requires the tyres to be monitored - both on the vehicle and, if towing, on the expensive caravan/boat/trailer.

Unfortunately I think the major stumbling block is the need to have a long sensor battery life so infrequent communications is implemented to achieve this.

Oh well - one day .......................
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

I have asked Cawe some additional questions regarding the TPMS units and this was their response:

How often do the TPMS sensors transmit data to the phone?
    The TPMS sensors transmit Bluetooth messages as soon as a pressure change occurs.
    Thus, while driving, or during rapid deflation, they could potentially transmit a BT message every second to warn you of leaks.
    While stationary, no pressure changes will occur, and the TPMS units will be in an idle state conserving battery life.

When the nGauge 4x4 App has not received an update BT message from the TPMS units for a certain amount of time, the display will be updated to --.-, indicating either that you are out of range of your sensors, or you have a faulty sensor that needs inspection.

Can you better explain how the App will respond to alarms when the App is open or closed?
    There are 3 states the App can be in.
    1. Open / In Foreground (Maximized if you wish, dashboard will light up red and alarm will sound in case of issues)
    2. In Background (Minimized, but still running in the background and still active to warn you with a notification/alarm).
    3. Closed / Force closed. App is not running and TPMS BT messages cannot be detected by our App to warn you. Similar to unplugging power from other TPMS solutions. You need to have an active device listening for it to function.

Why does iOS need the Gateway?
    When you minimize / run the App in background mode as in point 2 above, Apple blocks the Bluetooth messages from the TPMS units to the App, because the App is not "paired" to all the sensors. To overcome this, we developed the Gateway specially for Apple/iOS. Our App will remain connected or paired to the Gateway irrespective if the App is running in foreground or background. The Gateway then acts as a relay and transmits all the Bluetooth messages from the TPMS units to our App and you are instantly notified when an issue occurs.

I suggest you guys contact them directly if you have any questions, they are quite quick to respond.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takashi For This Useful Post:

The one question to ask on any make/system : Are the batteries on the sensors replaceable ?
    I have had a VALOR system -- very satisfied, neat, works well, have warned me more than once . BUT, the batteries on sensors are now kaput , and cannot be replaced .... need to buy the complete units, which costs more than a new system.
    So, ask the question of any make: Can the batteries be replaced, or are the sensors sealed units ?
    Jan Heyneke

Dubbel battery van Genesyz
    Frontrunner dakrak
    Big Country sleephak
    Self-geboude spaarwiel draer

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan Heyneke For This Useful Post:

I have a tyrepulse system from tyrealert.co.za. The display is a very small unit which takes up very little space on the dash.

I went with teh external sensors because of my slit rims. It takes a bit more effort to release the lock bolt when undoing them for changing tyre pressures - takes about 10 seconds (if that) per wheel.

So far very happy. I bought a little repeater for it as well in case the display could not read all wheels on the camper, but it was not necessary.

Just a comment re systems using a phone app - these are neat units. Even though I like new toys and technology, I'm old school when it comes to solutions involving "jack of all trades, master of none". I like dedicated units for my different devices - I do not like sharing my phone for too many functions, like GPSr and TPMS, having to keep it mounted on the dash. I like having a dedicated GPS, and separate TPMS etc each with it's own display which you can watch without having to swipe for the right screen on your phone. That's just me.
    Mike Lauterbach

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

I agree about having dedicated devices per function, and typically I prefer that as well.

However, my iPhone 7 is due for an upgrade, so once I have upgraded I may use it as a dedicated "sensor display" when going offroad (leaving it constantly running in foreground), seeing as my newly acquired Victron solar charger also has Bluetooth. Or, someone may have an old (but compatible) phone lying around.

The CAWE system just seemed like a good buy, as I've seen many TPMS systems costing R1500 or more, and that's for just 4 sensors. I'm getting 5 sensors for I think it was R1460 including delivery. And I can add a fridge sensor that uses the same app. And a battery sensor if I'm not happy with the output from the Victron (I'm still very new to all this).

As a new and seemingly enthusiastic company, it looks like they may be adding to their product range going forward, so if nothing else I'm taking a R1460 "investment gamble" in them.

Amarok V6.....
    ... and a scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Heyneke View Post
    The one question to ask on any make/system : Are the batteries on the sensors replaceable ?
    So, ask the question of any make: Can the batteries be replaced, or are the sensors sealed units ?
    I checked the Cawe website and it states that they are replaceable.

From what I have seen on the internet, the top of the external unit screws off the bottom part, tools supplied, and it has a little button cell inside.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

How long did they last? Mine 5 years and still going
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Heyneke View Post
    I have had a VALOR system -- very satisfied, neat, works well, have warned me more than once . BUT, the batteries on sensors are now kaput , and cannot be replaced .... need to buy the complete units, which costs more than a new system.

I have had my TireMoni for about 10-years now and it has been excellent. The batteries in each sensor are replaceable and very easy to change. The display even warns you when these need replacing. Just wish the 6-wheel version had been available in those days as I got a puncture in my caravan tyre earlier this year and was very lucky to spot it in time. The unit has also saved me on numerous occasions especially when driving in soft sand as it is difficult to tell you have a puncture when the tyres are already soft. I have never used the locking facility so the caps come off just like a normal valve cap. I always check that they are tight and I have never had any problems even after driving through lots of water in Botswana. Great investment.
    Last edited by vanasp; 2020/09/24 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanasp View Post
    I have had my TireMoni for about 10-years now and it has been excellent. The batteries in each sensor are replaceable and very easy to change. The display even warns you when these need replacing. Just wish the 6-wheel version had been available in those days as I got a puncture in my caravan tyre earlier this year and was very lucky to spot it in time. The unit has also saved me on numerous occasions especially when driving in soft sand as it is difficult to tell you have a puncture when the tyres are already soft. I have never used the locking facility so the caps come off just like a normal valve cap. I always check that they are tight and I have never had any problems even after driving through lots of water in Botswana. Great investment.
    I have the same and are happt. Never locked the sensors and nevwr been stolen. Even if it got stolen cant be use on another tire moni. Need to be programmed to worlnon another one. Also saved me new tires and u can put it in 12v power or batt and like said abobe u can replace the batt easily

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    How long did they last? Mine 5 years and still going
    The batteries on my system lasted just on 5 years, and surprisingly all packed up within about a month. First signs of low battery was no signal on a cold morning, and then as the tires heat up, readings appeared.
    Last edited by Jan Heyneke; 2020/09/28 at 12:18 PM.
    Jan Heyneke

Dubbel battery van Genesyz
    Frontrunner dakrak
    Big Country sleephak
    Self-geboude spaarwiel draer

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan Heyneke For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast