Recovery tracks

Thread: Recovery tracks

Default Recovery tracks

Crossing some really rough terrain can be hard on manual labour, and from the off road challenges I experienced over the year, I thought of a set of tracks that can not only help in sand, but also cross large gaps if needed.

I could not find anything on the markers that really met my needs, in particular when on needs something strong enough to support a fully loaded wheel in the middle of a 1.2m span.

The challenge obviously is weight.

What I came up with is a set of tracks that have 3 sections per track and stack in each other.

The sections can then be pinned together for crossing a railway track - which is a formidable obstacle for a loaded vechicle if one needs to cross at a gravel bank, and then it can be pinned to cross a 2.4m span for dual tracks and 4.8m for a single span - the latter obviously at a deflection that may look quite alarming.

I worked hard to make it possible in 2mm mild steel plate and each seciton weighs about 7.8 kg, so that is 47 kg in total. Considering that one can do with that 47 kg, I think it is worth it.

Although the 2mm shows to work in the FEA, I am still not entirely comfy with it. Thinking of 2.5mm.

This is what I have.

All was done in Fusion and was also my first try at the FEA analysis.

The tolerances are fairly tight, so we still need to see what needs to be tuned for easy making.

I designed the track to take one wheel of 750kg load - which is probably not suitable for oaks for likes to load their vehicles off the scale.

I am still working on ideas to get some thinnish grippy surface on the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-13 at 05.59.55.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	588399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-13 at 06.00.05.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	588400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-13 at 06.00.36.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	588401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-13 at 06.53.05.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	588402  
    Last edited by biltong; 2020/09/13 at 08:26 AM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Recovery tracks

I like the design, have a look at raptor coating sprayed at a distance to get a grippy surface.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    I like the design, have a look at raptor coating sprayed at a distance to get a grippy surface.
    Will have a look.

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Crossing some really rough terrain can be hard on manual labour, and from the off road challenges I experienced over the year, I thought of a set of tracks that can not only help in sand, but also cross large gaps if needed.

I could not find anything on the markers that really met my needs, in particular when on needs something strong enough to support a fully loaded wheel in the middle of a 1.2m span.

The challenge obviously is weight.

What I came up with is a set of tracks that have 3 sections per track and stack in each other.

The sections can then be pinned together for crossing a railway track - which is a formidable obstacle for a loaded vechicle if one needs to cross at a gravel bank, and then it can be pinned to cross a 2.4m span for dual tracks and 4.8m for a single span - the latter obviously at a deflection that may look quite alarming.

I worked hard to make it possible in 2mm mild steel plate and each seciton weighs about 7.8 kg, so that is 47 kg in total. Considering that one can do with that 47 kg, I think it is worth it.

Although the 2mm shows to work in the FEA, I am still not entirely comfy with it. Thinking of 2.5mm.

This is what I have.

All was done in Fusion and was also my first try at the FEA analysis.

The tolerances are fairly tight, so we still need to see what needs to be tuned for easy making.

I designed the track to take one wheel of 750kg load - which is probably not suitable for oaks for likes to load their vehicles off the scale.

I am still working on ideas to get some thinnish grippy surface on the top.

Welcome back Koos, been to long since you posted!

Looks great so far.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

Very interesting day playing.

As mentioned in the first post, I suspected to up on the guage of the metal - mainly due to some high stress points at the bends in the bottom flanges.

With 2mm in practice, the metal gets thinner there, and it will be a starting point for tearing.

So, I decided to see if I can go up to 3mm and not be to heavy extra on the mass.

I also upped the test load now to 800kg.

With my latest arrangement, I gained 15kg in weight, but that said the tiny stress speckles are now within limits.

I find the FEA quite amusing to play with as it gives one some great guidance where to finish off some transitions with fillet radiusses and that sort of thing. Quite often something as simple as a well placed radius can half the stress at the point.

Still working hard to get to grips with the software.

A combined simulation with the ladders connected.

7mm Deflection. Cool, but still some way before I can say it is not a matter of GIGO.

The idea looks good, although very similar to military sand ladders which have been in use since the first world war or before.

I use different software to yours, but I have found significant differences (orders of magnitude) between FEA-predicted deflections versus real deflections in practice. So make and test before you trust and sell.

On the river trip we usually take a piece of scaffold plank, 1 to 1.5m long. This works pretty well, although it obviously can't span such a long gap as yours, it seems to be enough for most situations. For me personally, 65kg is too much. I will take my chances and drive around such an obstacle. However, I have to accommodate 4 grown-ups, so weight and space are at a premium. If you travel solo, or with just your wife, the calculations of risk vs reward are completely different.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Lots of playing.

On design 3 now. Much simpler, and from Aluminium.

Hehehehe. Brushing up on a subject I passed on Vasity 20 years ago. One of the few I managed to Cum.

Did not prevent me from getting extremely rusty though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    On the river trip we usually take a piece of scaffold plank, 1 to 1.5m long. This works pretty well, although it obviously can't span such a long gap as yours, it seems to be enough for most situations. For me personally, 65kg is too much. I will take my chances and drive around such an obstacle. However, I have to accommodate 4 grown-ups, so weight and space are at a premium. If you travel solo, or with just your wife, the calculations of risk vs reward are completely different.
    I'm with Peter on this, I Chuck a few planks on the roof. Span more than that I go around, dig the bank or fill with rock. Mostly solo so maybe I'm more cautious.
    They are biodegradable if I sink them in mud and can't stop to collect or they are berried to deep. I can burn them if I run out of firewood wood, they never get stolen and are cheap as chips to replace. The ones on my roof now are getting just distressed enough to make a great coffee table.
    But at the same I'm sure there will be plenty who would buy them, we all have different needs and wants.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109"

Just to give some an idea how designs evolve with design.

So, I changed to 3mm T4 Aluminium, and as the rust wear off I could improve significantly.

I can now span a single track of 4.5m and have both wheel on it - but this I guess could give permament deformation so one has know that this is only to be done in extreme cases.

Total wight is about 32kg now for 6 tracks and manufacturing will be much easier.

Since the tracks can slide into each other, a track strength can roughly be almost doubled as the flex of the one track starts to support on the other.

Lots of ideas.

And no. This will not be for sale unfortunately.

Simply cant have the risk of someone trying to sue me for his vehicle slipping off it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 01.00.18.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	588834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 01.17.32.jpg 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	588835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 07.54.03.jpg 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	588836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 07.55.05.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	588837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 07.56.07.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	588838  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post

Simply cant have the risk of someone trying to sue me for his vehicle slipping off it.
    And therein lies the crux of many such things.

Everyone (well, almost everyone) likes you, great ideas, great posts, great product, great price, everyone like you even more now ...

And then his vehicle gets stuck despite using your product and you are the worst and baddest person producing the worst, cheapest rubbish out there!

Been there, done that, not going back either.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8