Huge land rover dilemma - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Huge land rover dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by wfouriej View Post
    Take the Defender Country and waterproof it, then pad it for sound isolation, then fit a M57 with a 6 speed autobox and you will have a lovely car that is reliable and can go anywhere. Since my 110 pickup and my 5 door Defender has M57's in them am i not driving my D4 and are going to sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Nice setup, who did the conversion for you?
    Yep, nice, and also interested. Was it one of the kits from the UK?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I only have experience with D4 V8 5.0l. I bought mine new in 2011, and over 9 years put on 150,000 km until selling it last month. It was the best car I've ever driven in, whether mine or anybody else's.

The chap who bought it, an apparently knowledgable fellow, told me he was specifically after the V8 because it had no value (I sold for about 30% of purchase value).

In town, I closed my eyes and never followed economy too closely. On the road, I got 13/14 l/100km. But this is expected.

Buy the next D4 V8 you can lay your hands on. You will smile every time you drive away.

Quote Originally Posted by leons View Post
    I only have experience with D4 V8 5.0l. I bought mine new in 2011, and over 9 years put on 150,000 km until selling it last month. It was the best car I've ever driven in, whether mine or anybody else's.

The chap who bought it, an apparently knowledgable fellow, told me he was specifically after the V8 because it had no value (I sold for about 30% of purchase value).

In town, I closed my eyes and never followed economy too closely. On the road, I got 13/14 l/100km. But this is expected.

Buy the next D4 V8 you can lay your hands on. You will smile every time you drive away.
    Even thought they do lose most of their value, they still retain it better than the diesels. I have been eyeing the market for almost a year now, and saw one I was really interested it. The add was there the morning, and gone the afternoon.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Even thought they do lose most of their value, they still retain it better than the diesels.
    Yes, I think the trade and the market have caught on to the TDV6/SDV6 issues.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

My 2cents.

I have owned Discovery 3's 4's ( V8 ) en ( TDV6 ) and now currently I have a 2015 SDV6. Granted I only have 53000km's on the clock and owned from new it just expired out of the motorplan which I opted not to renew due to low milage.

Initial reason for selling the V8 was because of how heavy it was on fuel, especially when towing against the wind. If that is not something you will be doing, then absolutely, it is a wonderful engine. I did not enjoy how much fuel I had to carry extra when driving places where fuel was not always available, it added a lot of weight to the roof.

Other than a problem with a door lock and handbrake I have not had any major issues that could not be fixed with a software upgrade or reset. My dad currently drives the XS and also no issues other than going in for the steering bushes and control arms I think on Wednesday, this will cost him around R9000.00 but he has around 120 000km's on.

I have looked at the new Defender and I love what Land Rover did with it in a market that was almost impossible to satisfy. For me to swap my Disco 4 with 53 000km's on the clock for a Defender, currently 4 cylinder with the 6 probably coming next year plus adding another R1 million cash makes absolutely no sense at all. I spoke to the guys in Cape Town who is very well known for Land Rover service, I have a long standing friendship with someone who works there and we walked through the workshop where many Disco's have been separated from their chassis and him telling me some things to look out for. If you look after your vehicle, keep an eye out for suspension leaks, let the engine warm up before you dive off in the morning and try not use the handbrake to often, small things will make a difference.

I think these guys are well versed now in things that could possibly go wrong and repairing them seems a lot cheaper than buying anything else on the market today. Buying a good 2015 Discovery 4 for R 450 000.00 to me seems like a good buy. Even if you spend R 100 000.00 to repair things on it, still in my opinion a better buy than a Defender for R 1 000 000.00 more. Even a new Fortuner is going to cost you more than that and you will less of a car.

Second hand cars will cost you cash, new cars will cost you credit. I love my disco 4 and will keep driving it for the comfort on and off road. No rattles, no dust all priceless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FanieKlopperd View Post
    ... and try not use the handbrake to often, ...
    Hi Fanie

I am curious. What is the issue with using the handbrake too often?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by hquinn View Post
    Hi Fanie

Henry
    EPB failures on Disco 3 and maybe 4's, never did research this on the 4. When the EPB failed, you had to get to the wire to release it, and it is an expensive fix as far as I know.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Hi Fanie

Henry
    The more times you use it, the sooner it will most likely pop?

No harm just leaving it in Park position if on flat or slight incline.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

EPB failures on Disco 3 and maybe 4's, never did research this on the 4. When the EPB failed, you had to get to the wire to release it, and it is an expensive fix as far as I know.
    Electronic Parking Brake. Yes I can see how this can ruin your day. Thanks

Only becomes a snag if it isn’t adjusted at service time

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeBob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Only becomes a snag if it isn’t adjusted at service time
    I fully agree with Mikebob

it is a standard service item. The more dusty roads one travels on, the more frequent this needs to get attended to. In our specific case, every 20'000km seems to do the trick. Engine oil services are naturally done every 10'000km
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

On my wifes D3 the handbrake repair was R14 000.00.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    On my wifes D3 the handbrake repair was R14 000.00.

mine jammed and the cable release did not work either. Really the only serious issue I’ve had. Rebuilt with metal gears vice plastic by overlandworxs. No problem with it since.

The cable stretches and breaks eventually, I think also the accuater is an issue. The guys in Cape Town have perfected a way to repair it through a cavity when the spare wheel is removed, the guy who does it is called their gynecologist

On the disco 3 we had the cable snap in the Kgalagadi at 45 degrees in December, had to remove the back wheel and cut the cable, not easy. I think on the 4 they sealed the drum better, but not something Land Rover ever really speaks about, the guys just say, don't use the break unless you are on a slip with a boat kinda scenario.
    Hi Fanie

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by FanieKlopperd View Post
    The cable stretches and breaks eventually, I think also the accuater is an issue. The guys in Cape Town have perfected a way to repair it through a cavity when the spare wheel is removed, the guy who does it is called their gynecologist

On the disco 3 we had the cable snap in the Kgalagadi at 45 degrees in December, had to remove the back wheel and cut the cable, not easy. I think on the 4 they sealed the drum better, but not something Land Rover ever really speaks about, the guys just say, don't use the break unless you are on a slip with a boat kinda scenario.

The drive unit, as far as I understand it, gets full of dirt and jams. The gears in there are plastic, and strip. There are replacement gears made from metal aftermarket.

Irritatingly, the owners manual, at least on my 2012, does not even make mention of the emergency release cable located below the cup holders in the centere console. When mine jammed, pulling this cable did nothing. You must pull it very hard, it makes a loud "bang" and in theory brakes should release. In my case, they did not - left the vehicle on the side of the road, came back to it the next day (on the sani pass) with a hacksaw prepared to cut the cable, and the normal EPB actuator worked, releasing the brakes. I guess with the cooling overnight (it was below freezing) it loosened up enough to work the next day.

Not really sure why people use a park break on an auto box.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

We do not normally - unless very steep (it was, where we got stuck in this case) - probably also part of the issue - very rarely used.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    this is why

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Hi All

the EPB is an issue and too often has not been attended to, when the vehicles were still under Motorplan (Thermostat Water housing comes to mind here).

We had our EPB modified with brass gears back in 2012. This put paid to the stripping gears. But if not serviced regularly, the screeching noise appears.

Here some pointers for a long EPB life:

1. Only apply EPB with your vehicle in Park position and foot on the brake, this reduces strain on the EPB mechanism

2. The moment you hear the slightest screech from the EPB, STOP USING IT !!!, until it has been serviced and the dust removed from the parking brake drums.

Hope this helps.

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    this is why
    Having recovered both of my 110s from a ditch due to the pathetic drum park brakes that need to hold 2T+ but are too small, I'd rather use my auto box. Thank you.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast