Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 190KW Amarok

Default Re: 190KW Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    There are already a lot of locally tuned 250kw Amaroks in South Africa, and even at that power the engine is not over stressed. The real issue lies with the auto box. As the kw increases so does the torque, but even more so.

From what I have been told, 800nm is the limit the box will handle reliably, and that number is easily reached / exceeded.

My dad currently has a remapped Amarok with a 76mm full exhaust. It makes around 250kw and 800nm. I have driven it extensively, and the real world overtaking ability is just astonishing. My wife's 3.0D X5 feels lethargic in comparison, especially in the 80-140 range. Once my lease on my current car expires in Sep, I will buy the Amarok from my dad.

It's the first d/cab / suv I have driven that has more than enough overtaking ability when heavily laden, so it will be used as our family vehicle.
    the amarok V6 is the only bakkie that's ever gotten me take even a second look. With those remapped numbers it may even be a contender to replace the Q7 when the time comes.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

a friend of mine had the 165Kw Amarok with Celtic Tuning re-map.

224Kw with 610Nm

He traded it in for a new 190 kw Extreme.

He says it is slower than the tuned 165Kw, now he is going to re-map this on too.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

There are already a lot of locally tuned 250kw Amaroks in South Africa, and even at that power the engine is not over stressed. The real issue lies with the auto box. As the kw increases so does the torque, but even more so.

From what I have been told, 800nm is the limit the box will handle reliably, and that number is easily reached / exceeded.

My dad currently has a remapped Amarok with a 76mm full exhaust. It makes around 250kw and 800nm. I have driven it extensively, and the real world overtaking ability is just astonishing. My wife's 3.0D X5 feels lethargic in comparison, especially in the 80-140 range. Once my lease on my current car expires in Sep, I will buy the Amarok from my dad.

It's the first d/cab / suv I have driven that has more than enough overtaking ability when heavily laden, so it will be used as our family vehicle.
    Genuine question, I'm not being sarcastic, but what makes you say that? Even though I'm pretty happy with the 165kW, sometimes the little boy inside me would like that bit of extra oomph, just for "fun", sorry I mean for overtaking. But, seeing as my vehicle is a 10-year "investment", I don't want to mess with reliability at all, either of engine or gearbox.

What would be the cost of pushing mine (2018 model) up to say 190kW without interfering with reliability? Can I get a plug and play that I could disconnect when I take the vehicle in for a service so as not to void the warranty?
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Clubbie who's tune did he go with, Revo?
    Not sure.

He took it to Kosie Swanepoel, who fitted a Unichip to his previous 2.0. As the Unichip don't work on the 3.0, Kosie used a 3 party to do the mapping.

I am thinking of remapping it again, once I have it. Even though the ecu will adapt from coastal to highveld conditions, I'd like to use someone local, in order to have the support if needed.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2021/01/22 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    the amarok V6 is the only bakkie that's ever gotten me take even a second look. With those remapped numbers it may even be a contender to replace the Q7 when the time comes.
    Just keep in mind that it is nowhere near a rival for the ride comfort you have now.

It is very good for a d/cab, but nowhere near my wife's X5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Genuine question, I'm not being sarcastic, but what makes you say that? Even though I'm pretty happy with the 165kW, sometimes the little boy inside me would like that bit of extra oomph, just for "fun", sorry I mean for overtaking. But, seeing as my vehicle is a 10-year "investment", I don't want to mess with reliability at all, either of engine or gearbox.

What would be the cost of pushing mine (2018 model) up to say 190kW without interfering with reliability? Can I get a plug and play that I could disconnect when I take the vehicle in for a service so as not to void the warranty?
    The previous Cayenne 3.0D made over 200kw in stock form. Apart from obvious changes it is basically the same unit as that of the Amarok.
    Also, don't for one moment think the Amarok "only" make 165kw. I reckon it is 180kw the whole time. I have had a small run with a V6 Amarok with my wife's X5. There was nothing in it. Having driven 3 seperate (stock) V6 Amaroks as well, it feels exactly the same as the X5.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2021/01/22 at 10:30 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

250Kw & 800NM must be quite a thrill to drive. I just cannot see how you can have decent fuel consumption without forcing yourself to be gentle with the power, or use cruise control at legal speed limits

I'd still like it if someone in the know explain how towing a heavy load is safe with all the extra power. Ok, in this case a 76mm freeflow was installed which lowers the EGT and will help, but still My reference here is the Unichip where a tow map is created, which is not near the max power setting, specifically to not exceed the EGT.
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    250Kw & 800NM must be quite a thrill to drive. I just cannot see how you can have decent fuel consumption without forcing yourself to be gentle with the power, or use cruise control at legal speed limits

I'd still like it if someone in the know explain how towing a heavy load is safe with all the extra power. Ok, in this case a 76mm freeflow was installed which lowers the EGT and will help, but still My reference here is the Unichip where a tow map is created, which is not near the max power setting, specifically to not exceed the EGT.
    If you are using the full 250kw and 800nm all the time to tow then yes you are going to be breaking things. What the extra power allows you to do is to accelerate quickly to get up to speed or overtake, then you back to cruising speed where you do not need to use the extra power.

Towing and being able to overtake comfortably makes a world of difference in terms of safety and just driving comfort.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Just keep in mind that it is nowhere near a rival for the ride comfort you have now.

It is very good for a d/cab, but nowhere near my wife's X5 though.
    True, drove one when they were just launched and I was impressed by the drive comfort (but then I was driving a Ford Territory at the time so coming off a low base)
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

The previous Cayenne 3.0D made over 200kw in stock form. Apart from obvious changes it is basically the same unit as that of the Amarok.
    Also, don't for one moment think the Amarok "only" make 165kw. I reckon it is 180kw the whole time. I have had a small run with a V6 Amarok with my wife's X5. There was nothing in it. Having driven 3 seperate (stock) V6 Amaroks as well, it feels exactly the same as the X5.
    On this point, is it not possible that the Cayenne (and maybe even the 190kW Amarok version) has a stronger crankshaft, pistons, conrods etc. to handle the extra power? These items (and maybe others that I can't think of) might not quite be up to the task in the 165kW; which I know can produce 180kW on overboost, but is limited to 10 seconds. Do you think it's over-engineered enough to handle 240kW and a huge increase in torque, even in short bursts?

What are the changes to which you refer from the Cayenne powerplant to the stock 165kW one in the Amarok ?
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

If you are using the full 250kw and 800nm all the time to tow then yes you are going to be breaking things. What the extra power allows you to do is to accelerate quickly to get up to speed or overtake, then you back to cruising speed where you do not need to use the extra power.

Towing and being able to overtake comfortably makes a world of difference in terms of safety and just driving comfort.
    Agree wrt you don't need full power all the time, safety etc, however when towing heavy and going uphill in too low a gear, or maintaining cruising speed in too low a gear the EGT may spike to dangerous levels. Will the ECU protect the engine and select the correct gear with a remap?

As example, if I select full power in the Hilux instead of the towing map, it will select 6th gear and run at low RPM whilst towing ~1.5 ton. In the tow map it'll normally stay in 5th. Hence the question, is a remap safe as it is always in "full power" mode?

Digressing a bit from the awesome Amarok, but still relevant if someone consider doing a remap.
    Dirk Theron

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Slightly off topic and only because someone mentioned a tuned Amarok V6, I'll relay my experience with my Amarok Extreme (18K on the odo).

My Extreme was tuned by Quinton of Qtec.....currently pushing out 240KW and 700NM of torque. I replaced the DPF and CAT with a down-pipe only...standard exhaust is still in place.
    No extra noise....only slight induction growl under hard acceleration which sounds OK.

1. With regards to fuel consumption.....
    We went to PE (gamepark) and then onto KZN via Transkei over the Christmas period. Driving at 120km/hr on cruise-control, I used 37L from home to the Shell Ultra in Plett. Standard the vehicle was always light on diesel consumption, but even more so now. Driving around town I get low 9's on average.
    2. Power....It pulls like a steam train. On our way to KZN....about 30km before Port Alfred.....(I tell this in reference to Clubbie's remark wrt the BMW X5) I came upon a new'sh BMW X6 3.0 D dawdling at 100km/hr.
    I got onto his tail to pass at the next opportunity, only for him to plant his throttle and pull away....he opened to about a three car length when I planted mine. We went to speeds I can't mention here...suffice to say he backed off just before the Opel Kadette Superboss max (ya'll do remember that I know). Now for the fun part....at that speed I was actually closing on him...he couldn't get away....this from a bakkie. I was honestly amazed. In Port Alfred he turned off and just gave me a sour look....I won't relay the rest of our trip.....

Paying a million for a bakkie is ludicrous but if you want it, you have no choice but to pay up.
    2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6 (QTec Tuned - 240KW / 700NM)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Casper... For This Useful Post:

Agree wrt you don't need full power all the time, safety etc, however when towing heavy and going uphill in too low a gear, or maintaining cruising speed in too low a gear the EGT may spike to dangerous levels. Will the ECU protect the engine and select the correct gear with a remap?

As example, if I select full power in the Hilux instead of the towing map, it will select 6th gear and run at low RPM whilst towing ~1.5 ton. In the tow map it'll normally stay in 5th. Hence the question, is a remap safe as it is always in "full power" mode?

Digressing a bit from the awesome Amarok, but still relevant if someone consider doing a remap.
    The stock map will have safeguards in place to protect the motor by monitoring EGT, turbo spool speed, boost etc etc. A good remap will keep those safeguards in place, maybe with modified parameters.

If you feel the gearbox is not towing in the right gear then simply go to manual mode and select the gear you want - Q7 loves towing even at 100km in 8th gear - with engine barely over idle speed, I dont like it so I drop down to 7th gear.

On the Q7 despite the remap the engine still limits boost (and therefore torque) in 1st gear to protect the drivetrain.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Fuel consumption on the remapped 3.0 is almost the same than that of a 2.0 Amarok. In town it's quite a bit more, but on the highway it's actually a bit better.

For me the added power won't by much of a temptation. My current car is a BMW 540i, and since new I have averaged 10.5 L/100km. I only use the full power when needed, for overtaking and such.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    On this point, is it not possible that the Cayenne (and maybe even the 190kW Amarok version) has a stronger crankshaft, pistons, conrods etc. to handle the extra power? These items (and maybe others that I can't think of) might not quite be up to the task in the 165kW; which I know can produce 180kW on overboost, but is limited to 10 seconds. Do you think it's over-engineered enough to handle 240kW and a huge increase in torque, even in short bursts?

What are the changes to which you refer from the Cayenne powerplant to the stock 165kW one in the Amarok ?
    Not sure, but think it will be parts like manifolds, exhaust,mapping and so on. I would be surprised if it is internal components.

Anyway, In all the years of VW 6cyl diesel engines, I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Slightly off topic and only because someone mentioned a tuned Amarok V6, I'll relay my experience with my Amarok Extreme (18K on the odo).

My Extreme was tuned by Quinton of Qtec.....currently pushing out 240KW and 700NM of torque. I replaced the DPF and CAT with a down-pipe only...standard exhaust is still in place.
    No extra noise....only slight induction growl under hard acceleration which sounds OK.

1. With regards to fuel consumption.....
    We went to PE (gamepark) and then onto KZN via Transkei over the Christmas period. Driving at 120km/hr on cruise-control, I used 37L from home to the Shell Ultra in Plett. Standard the vehicle was always light on diesel consumption, but even more so now. Driving around town I get low 9's on average.
    2. Power....It pulls like a steam train. On our way to KZN....about 30km before Port Alfred.....(I tell this in reference to Clubbie's remark wrt the BMW X5) I came upon a new'sh BMW X6 3.0 D dawdling at 100km/hr.
    I got onto his tail to pass at the next opportunity, only for him to plant his throttle and pull away....he opened to about a three car length when I planted mine. We went to speeds I can't mention here...suffice to say he backed off just before the Opel Kadette Superboss max (ya'll do remember that I know). Now for the fun part....at that speed I was actually closing on him...he couldn't get away....this from a bakkie. I was honestly amazed. In Port Alfred he turned off and just gave me a sour look....I won't relay the rest of our trip.....

Paying a million for a bakkie is ludicrous but if you want it, you have no choice but to pay up.
    since the thread is already off the rails, tell me about the RS4 in your sig... have lusted after the RS4/6 avants for years and will need to scatch that itch some day
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/01/22 at 01:11 PM.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

If you feel the gearbox is not towing in the right gear then simply go to manual mode and select the gear you want - Q7 loves towing even at 100km in 8th gear - with engine barely over idle speed, I dont like it so I drop down to 7th gear.
    I do this often, most of the time tow in S and don't select top gear. Wish I had an ETG probe and gauge.
    Dirk Theron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

I do this often, most of the time tow in S and don't select top gear. Wish I had an ETG probe and gauge.
    the car may already have an EGT probe, you just need access the data stream from the computer. Have you tried one of these cheap OBDII readers?
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/01/22 at 01:14 PM.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Not sure, but think it will be parts like manifolds, exhaust,mapping and so on. I would be surprised if it is internal components.

Anyway, In all the years of VW 6cyl diesel engines, I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures.

Thanks. At the moment I'm more in "fact-finding" mode than seriously considering doing any thing just yet. I have other more pressing additions to the bakkie in the short term. Chances are IF I do anything along performance lines I will only do it post-warranty in 2 or 3 years time. By that time I might have changed my mind anyways....

Thanks for your time, Clubbie...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

the car may already have an EGT probe, you just need access the data stream from the computer. Have you tried one of these cheap OBDII readers?
    Not yet, to be explored tho.
    Dirk Theron

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast