Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 392
  1. #341
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    373
    Thanked: 127

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    The other interesting thing I was told was that Lithium batteries should be stored with an approximate charge of 50%. So unlike Lead Acid batteries one should not have them permanently connected to a charger.

    The Blue Nova battery in my vehicle having not been charged since leaving Kruger in early January is still sitting at the same % as when I got home. So they hold charge extremely well.

    Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab (Ordered)
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wedwo For This Useful Post:


  3. #342
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    64
    Posts
    19,275
    Thanked: 7918

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    The other interesting thing I was told was that Lithium batteries should be stored with an approximate charge of 50%. So unlike Lead Acid batteries one should not have them permanently connected to a charger.

    The Blue Nova battery in my vehicle having not been charged since leaving Kruger in early January is still sitting at the same % as when I got home. So they hold charge extremely well.

    Regards Gavin
    Quite correct.

    There is an interesting story about Tesla cars and hurricane Katrina that devastated New Orleans. Apparently Tesla cars are programmed to only use a portion of the batteries capacity. So they don't charge to 100% and don't discharge to 0%.

    During the Katrina evacuation, Tesla reprogrammed all the Tesla cars over the internet to make full use of the batteries to help people evacuate and have maximum range.

    I don't know if this is urban legend or true, but it makes sense to me.

    ----------------------
    Oh and BTW - Tiger comp is on again.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/05/02 at 09:57 AM.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  5. #343
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanked: 4688

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Quite correct.

    There is an interesting story about Tesla cars and hurricane Katrina that devastated New Orleans. Apparently Tesla cars are programmed to only use a portion of the batteries capacity. So they don't charge to 100% and don't discharge to 0%.

    During the Katrina evacuation, Tesla reprogrammed all the Tesla cars over the internet to make full use of the batteries to help people evacuate and have maximum range.

    I don't know if this is urban legend or true, but it makes sense to me.

    ----------------------
    Oh and BTW - Tiger comp is on again.
    Not sure about Katarina, but been done in two other hurricane events.

    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ttery-capacity

    Tesla drivers who fled Hurricane Irma last weekend received an unexpected lesson in modern consumer economics along the way. As they sat on choked highways, some of the electric-car giant’s more keenly priced models suddenly gained an extra 30 or so miles in range thanks to a silent free upgrade.
    Tesla extends battery range for cars in path of tropical storm Florence
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

    "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

  6. #344
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Just don't use some batteries from China .
    Not my photo. Seen it on Facebook.
    Small battery inside the larger battery cover and added concrete to make it feel heavy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181314948_10225545102992805_8879379265157528187_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	614256

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  8. #345
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanked: 824

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Just don't use some batteries from China .
    Not my photo. Seen it on Facebook.
    Small battery inside the larger battery cover and added concrete to make it feel heavy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181314948_10225545102992805_8879379265157528187_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	614256
    Haha that is crazy. At least it would not have to be delivered via post office in the future.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

  9. #346
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    780
    Thanked: 2061

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Just don't use some batteries from China .
    Not my photo. Seen it on Facebook.
    Small battery inside the larger battery cover and added concrete to make it feel heavy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181314948_10225545102992805_8879379265157528187_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	614256

    Looks like insulation to me

  10. #347
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Looks like insulation to me
    Haha.. Yes insulation indeed my china

  11. #348
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    911
    Thanked: 1207

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    12v 65ah

    Looks more like 4 x 12v 7ah batteries in there so it is 12v 28ah battery.

    Geez, what next!
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

    Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

  12. #349
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    12v 65ah

    Looks more like 4 x 12v 7ah batteries in there so it is 12v 28ah battery.

    Geez, what next!
    If that much!
    Imagine fitting that battery the day before leaving on a trip thinking you are sorted. Only to run out of light after two hours of the first night in Mabua.
    Last edited by HannoK; 2021/05/03 at 09:53 AM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  14. #350
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Just don't use some batteries from China .
    Not my photo. Seen it on Facebook.
    Small battery inside the larger battery cover and added concrete to make it feel heavy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181314948_10225545102992805_8879379265157528187_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	614256
    A China man bought a little battery from his cousin, to fill up a big Batery to send overseas. What he did not realize, he overpaid his cousin. The little battery was also filled with concrete. It had a 18650 in it. The 18650 China cousin bought from his cousin. Also overpaid, since the 18650 only contained 1/2 a cell.

    Moral of the story, for one westerner that gets screwed, two China cousins got a raw deal as well.

    Thing is, you know it now, two Cousins still in dark.

  15. #351
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    373
    Thanked: 127

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    So for a camping solution I'm faced with the decision 2 x108 ah or 1 x 218ah. The 2 x 108ah will be R2K or R3K cheeper than the 1 x218ah. The 1 x 218 will take up less space but I could connect the 2 x 108 to produce 24 volts (the only reason I could think of for 24 volts would be welding). What else could I want 24 volts for. I am though leaning towards the 2 x 108ah (1 packs up i would still have a spare). Would you agree or is there an argument for the 1x 218ah

    Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab (Ordered)
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

  16. #352
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    37
    Posts
    950
    Thanked: 203

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    So for a camping solution I'm faced with the decision 2 x108 ah or 1 x 218ah. The 2 x 108ah will be R2K or R3K cheeper than the 1 x218ah. The 1 x 218 will take up less space but I could connect the 2 x 108 to produce 24 volts (the only reason I could think of for 24 volts would be welding). What else could I want 24 volts for. I am though leaning towards the 2 x 108ah (1 packs up i would still have a spare). Would you agree or is there an argument for the 1x 218ah

    Regards Gavin
    I did 2x 108Ah in series for 24(26V) system, although I would not recommend for everyone.

    I did this because I run 3000VA MultiPlus-II and on 12V the cables just become too thick to work with at this amps over the 3m between the inverter/charger and batteries in Bush Lapa.

    National Luna is connected directly on 24V, but all LED lights and stuff work through Victron Orion 24-12 DC-DC converter (12Vdc).

    I also have a second 100A MPPT for external PV on my house. Can add more (double) solar on 24V vs 12V.

    12V would not be ideal for what I did, but the negatives for non Victron installers would be:
    - More components that can give problems and I use laptop and Victron MK3 cable to troubleshoot should something go wrong.
    - Having 12Vdc, 24Vdc and 230Vac makes wiring more complex for someone else to work on.
    - 12V output is limited to the Orion DC-DC output limit and not what the batteries can offer. Not a real issue for me as the 220V plugs work like they do in my house.
    - You need a higher PV input voltage (Voc) to charge your batteries. I only realised that my Flexopower's Voc is too low (I need about 31V) to use on my setup. So I have to buy another expensive Flexopower panel in series or replace it with different cheaper panels to use when my roof mounted PV is in the shade under a tree.
    - Putting lithium batteries (each with builtin BMS) in series is not ideal.


    For most campers I would recommend going for a single bigger "12V" battery as it makes things simpler. I just like all the tech. ;-)
    Last edited by Monkey-D; 2021/05/11 at 09:09 PM.
    Riaan

    2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:


  18. #353
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    373
    Thanked: 127

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Thanks MonkeyD

    I want to keep thing simple as I do not know enough to fix a complicated system if it breaks. So looking to get Blue Nova 12 volt system for a Bush Lapa. Ive upgraded the MPPT to 100/30 and added a 12 / 1200 inverter. So you would suggest 1 x 218ah

    Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab (Ordered)
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

  19. #354
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    37
    Posts
    950
    Thanked: 203

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Yup. This one: https://shop.energyon.co.za/shop/13v...thium-battery/

    There are other brands and DIY kits for cheaper, but I am very happy with the performance of the BlueNova.

    Others will also give some comments and make recommendations.

    Enjoy
    Riaan

    2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:


  21. #355
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    911
    Thanked: 1207

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    So my wife discovered Tjhoko paint … no one is safe, you sit still too long and she will paint YOU!

    She told me she has a surprise, I’m not allowed to look … her having an astute sense of humor.

    With me ever so often swearing, earning my Master Doctoral Degree in “WTF NOT to DO!” … she decided to “help” me out a bit with some salient warnings … she even got the color right ito my favorite brand!

    Previously I posted the inside, here, for all's enjoyment, my wife's sense of humor ... damn, I love this woman!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Warnings 1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	615280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Warnings 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	615281  
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

    Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:


  23. #356
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cape Town, Plumstead
    Age
    57
    Posts
    888
    Thanked: 302

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Ok so I took the first step, ordered the cells and a charger, both from Takealot

    https://microhard.co.za/product/ante...e-modular-psu/ (suppliers website)

    https://www.takealot.com/victron-blu...v/PLID70479628
    Safe Diving - Andy

    2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/


  24. #357
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    64
    Posts
    19,275
    Thanked: 7918

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Ok so I took the first step, ordered the cells and a charger, both from Takealot

    https://microhard.co.za/product/ante...e-modular-psu/ (suppliers website)

    https://www.takealot.com/victron-blu...v/PLID70479628
    And your BMS ?

    https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/diy-kit
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/05/16 at 08:59 PM.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  26. #358
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cape Town, Plumstead
    Age
    57
    Posts
    888
    Thanked: 302

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I'm still getting there .............. spent time reading through this thread and others learning what the various components are about, forum members have made lots of very useful contributions.

    Lithiumbatteries don't have the 120AH cells which I wanted, one thing that I have learned is that during this COVID situation if you find something that is available buy it, because tomorrow it will be sold out.

    Also funding is limited to what I have available - but I do have some time, only travelling in August again.

    To add - the next step will certainly be a BMS and battery balancer(following the advice of River Rat)
    Last edited by AndyT; 2021/05/16 at 09:20 PM.
    Safe Diving - Andy

    2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/


  27. #359
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    64
    Posts
    19,275
    Thanked: 7918

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I'm still getting there .............. spent time reading through this thread and others learning what the various components are about, forum members have made lots of very useful contributions.

    Lithiumbatteries don't have the 120AH cells which I wanted, one thing that I have learned is that during this COVID situation if you find something that is available buy it, because tomorrow it will be sold out.

    Also funding is limited to what I have available - but I do have some time, only travelling in August again.

    To add - the next step will certainly be a BMS and battery balancer(following the advice of River Rat)
    Ok, you’re paying nearly double the price for 20 AH more.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  28. #360
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Ellisras
    Posts
    62
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    My recently built 12V battery box with 100Ah cells from lithiumbatteriessa.co.za, 80A Daly Smart BMS from Banggood. 100/20 victron mppt. One red Harrison plug feeding directly from battery via BMS for bigger loads and 2 red Harrison plugs for fridge and 12V lights via mppt load output. Blue Harrison plug for solar panels.

    Many thanks to stormjp for his battery box idea and for giving me some pointers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210612_191923.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	393.5 KB 
ID:	618441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210612_191518.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	618442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210612_191608.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	618443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210612_191535.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	618444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210612_191504.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	618445  

  29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantOnsKan For This Useful Post:


Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •