Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 246
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    887
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Hi Stormjp

    Did you mean to say Tentco? How much do they charge for the ammo box you used?

    I like the fact that the bms is bolted to a metal surface that will conduct heat away from it.




    Quote Originally Posted by stormjp View Post
    My effort as well. Also used Lithium Batteries SA new 100AH cells. Built all into an ammo can from Tentpro. WRND DC-DC charger also fitted in there. Did a 4500km roadtrip and it functioned flawlessly! All in all I'm super happy with the setup
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '05 Honda CR-V RVSI Auto AWD

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    53
    Posts
    429
    Thanked: 124

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    I am pretty sure that I will be able to fit another 4 cells, to up the battery to 240 A/h, using a combination of series and parallel links between the cells. But I am not brave enough for that yet!
    Very nice, smartly put together. Those ODW boxes do fit 8 cells, I built 2 of them as can be seen from my post #148. And you have most of your gadgets on the lid already, should be a walk in the park.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:


  4. #163
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurB View Post
    Hi Stormjp

    Did you mean to say Tentco? How much do they charge for the ammo box you used?

    I like the fact that the bms is bolted to a metal surface that will conduct heat away from it.
    Hi ArthurB

    It was definitely from tentpro. You can have a look on their website, tentpro.co.za. I used the 50Cal ammo box, which cost around R400 if I remember correctly.

    All in all, I have had zero issues thus far and super impressed with the Lifepo4 batteries.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stormjp For This Useful Post:


  6. #164
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 1019

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurB View Post
    Hi Stormjp

    Did you mean to say Tentco? How much do they charge for the ammo box you used?

    I like the fact that the bms is bolted to a metal surface that will conduct heat away from it.

    I do not experience significant heat *(actually, hardly any) at the BMS (or cells) during charging or discharging



  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:


  8. #165
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 1019

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    Very nice, smartly put together. Those ODW boxes do fit 8 cells, I built 2 of them as can be seen from my post #148. And you have most of your gadgets on the lid already, should be a walk in the park.
    Was their room for any material eg double sided tape or thin sponge, between the cells, just to prevent chafing?



  9. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanked: 431

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    OK, as promised.
    Please critique my effort.

    I used 4 "new" cells from LithiumSA @ R6 547, including the BMS, some cabling and lugs.
    Installed in a battery box from Outdoor Warehouse @ R379
    On/Off switch and fuse box from 4x4 Direct @ R355 and R350 respectively
    Some odds and end from my own "Builders Warehouse Light" toolbox.

    Sorry, add to that the sockets (Hella, USB and Cigarette and Voltmeter (NL)) that I also got from ODWH - that was quite a few bucks!

    Yes, that is an 5l upside down ice cream bucket that you see. It acts as a placeholder - I am pretty sure that I will be able to fit another 4 cells, to up the battery to 240 A/h, using a combination of series and parallel links between the cells. But I am not brave enough for that yet!

    Attached Thumbnails


    Thanks to Wedwo, Tron, Gerlach, Kortgat, Rooikop, Ekkekan, Dungbeetle and All the others that gave me the courage and the knowledge, to do this!
    As usual I really like the name tags. well done Johan, that battery box is professional.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:


  11. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett/Paulshof
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,326
    Thanked: 1310

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Nicely done. I took the easy way out and got a secondhand/new NL battery box for R1800 and installed a 108ah blue nova battery that was on dealer special for R6650 ex vat.
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:


  13. #168
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    53
    Posts
    429
    Thanked: 124

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Was their room for any material eg double sided tape or thin sponge, between the cells, just to prevent chafing?
    I placed some thin cardboard between some cells. But to keep the hole lot from moving to much I bound them together with duct tape. There was hardly any movement when they went into the box.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:


  15. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    604
    Thanked: 292

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    So is there no 8 cell, 12v BMS available or will the BMS see the two parallel connected cells as a single cell? Will it be able to balance the two cells as effectively as a BMS would a single cell?
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  16. #170
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 1019

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    So is there no 8 cell, 12v BMS available or will the BMS see the two parallel connected cells as a single cell? Will it be able to balance the two cells as effectively as a BMS would a single cell?

    Have a look at what Rooikop did Post #148.

    Somewhere there is a diagram of connecting the cells.



  17. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1014

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by stormjp View Post
    Also used Lithium Batteries SA new 100AH cells. Built all into an ammo can from Tentpro. WRND DC-DC charger also fitted in there. Did a 4500km roadtrip and it functioned

    Does that mean a normal DC-DC charger from the alternator is fine to use to charge these LiFePO4 batteries, if I change to LiFePO4? My solar controller and 230V charger are from Victron.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/01/21 at 03:21 PM.
    Johan Kriel

  18. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    801
    Thanked: 1045

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    I'll just post this video here again ... I nearly did it ...

    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/01/21 at 04:45 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

    Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

  19. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    604
    Thanked: 292

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Have a look at what Rooikop did Post #148.

    Somewhere there is a diagram of connecting the cells.
    I don't think you read my question
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  20. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,226
    Thanked: 918

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    So is there no 8 cell, 12v BMS available or will the BMS see the two parallel connected cells as a single cell? Will it be able to balance the two cells as effectively as a BMS would a single cell?
    2 cells in parallel auto balance with each other. And a BMS sees them as one cell.
    Balancing between twice the size "cells" then in series will take double the time....
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/01/21 at 04:44 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:


  22. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Does that mean a normal DC-DC charger from the alternator is fine to use to charge these LiFePO4 batteries, if I change to LiFePO4? My solar controller and 230V charger are from Victron.
    Hi JLK

    I Installed a DC-DC charger in my battery box, fed from a cable running directly from the vehicle battery and to date it has functioned flawlessly. Everything has been fused properly, as im scared of overheat/shorts!

    Im sure the experts will be here shortly to give advise and I'll then have to change my system to prevent my vehicle from burning to the ground.

  23. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1014

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by stormjp View Post
    Hi JLK

    I Installed a DC-DC charger in my battery box, fed from a cable running directly from the vehicle battery and to date it has functioned flawlessly. Everything has been fused properly, as im scared of overheat/shorts!

    Im sure the experts will be here shortly to give advise and I'll then have to change my system to prevent my vehicle from burning to the ground.
    Thanks . Lets see. Google is clear on solar controllers and battery chargers, alternators etc, but could not get clear answer on DC-DC chargers.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/01/21 at 05:25 PM.
    Johan Kriel

  24. #177
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 1019

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    I don't think you read my question
    Sorry, just trying to be helpful, and I did read your question but did not had the time to search for the specific post with diagram. As far as I know LitiumSA can provide you with a diagram to do just what you ask, without a 12V 8 cell BMS.
    The photo of the setup should actually be of great assistance - on how to combine a 12v 4 cell BMS with 8 cells.



  25. #178
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    604
    Thanked: 292

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Sorry, just trying to be helpful, and I did read your question but did not had the time to search for the specific post with diagram. As far as I know LitiumSA can provide you with a diagram to do just what you ask, without a 12V 8 cell BMS.
    The photo of the setup should actually be of great assistance - on how to combine a 12v 4 cell BMS with 8 cells.
    Dungbeetle answered my question. I have built a 4 cell 12v unit with 4 cell BMS. My question arose when I saw the guys using the very same 4 cell BMS. I looked for 8 cell 12v BMS but could not find, hence my question.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  26. #179
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,551
    Thanked: 776

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    I'll just post this video here again ... I nearly did it ...

    Think this video is a bit misleading though. The test is done with Lifep04s without a BMS. With a BMS I cannot see the problem, especially if the BMS charge rating is reasonably within range of what the alternator is capable of. I do charge mine straight off the alternator, no issues.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:


  28. #180
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Think this video is a bit misleading though. The test is done with Lifep04s without a BMS. With a BMS I cannot see the problem, especially if the BMS charge rating is reasonably within range of what the alternator is capable of. I do charge mine straight off the alternator, no issues.
    Anything can be dangerous if you decide it to be. Trying to maintain a constant 90Amps from an alternator at idle revs would be 'stupid'. Let alone bringing cable thickness into the equation. It is easy, and annoying, when people remove all the safety measures and make it out that the worst will happen if you don't do it their way.

    Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

    As I said, Im no electrician, but I did my due diligence and think my setup is working well and safe.

    Max amps into my 2nd battery with the DC-DC will be 20 amps and only after the primary battery is fully charged.
    Last edited by stormjp; 2021/01/21 at 06:55 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •