Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lithium vs Lead Acid

OK, have taken the plunge, ordered a 108Ah Blue Nova from Takealot, as well as a CTEK Lithium XS battery charger.

Now lots of playing around starts.

The 15kg weight will be a big improvement over my previous (and completely useless) Lead Crystal battery (33kg).

I will use it on trips in my battery box to run the fridge, and at home to run the TV during rolling blackouts. Should easily handle a 4.5 hour blackout.

My HCDP battery box seems to have the right characteristics to charge the battery, but will test this.

Of course, this battery does not have bluetooth, so it will be difficult to evaluate the state of charge of the battery. I do have a CTEK Battery Sense (bluetooth), but that just measures the voltage, which does not help much with these lithium batteries.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

So who supply's the Enertec Lithium batteries in SA?
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser
    Land Cruiser VDJ 71
    2020 LC 200 GXR
    2020 LC FJ

Hi KG, thanks for the info and for sharing your photos.

Out of interest, are the battery monitor displays those that came with your batteries, or did you add additional monitors for ease of viewing SOC, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Yes, good deal, then build boxes like I did and you have yourself a very lekker lifepo4 battery pack. Works superbly.

Quote Originally Posted by johankriek View Post
    [LIST=1]
    I doubt it if it is on par with the accepted International Certification specifications required for various uses. The ENERTEC Lithium does comply.
    What part is not on par with international Certification specifications?
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    What part is not on par with international Certification specifications?
    I agree and do not know of any international certification.

I've worked with many brands of Lithium batteries for work and stuck with BlueNova for the last 4 years because of quality and service.

If anyone ever visit the BlueNova operation in Somerset Wes and have a chat with James (the founder), they will surely know they have the best to offer in SA. But everyone is welcome to have their opinions. :-)
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

So Firstly as the OP thanks for all the info and debate much appreciated and helped me a lot.

I went ahead as per advice and purchased a National Luna 25 amp hr DC to DC charger and managed to find a 104 amp hr Blue Nova battery. I must say my first impression of the battery is a bit like when Dad gets a Chainsaw and purchases his son a toy Chainsaw. The batteries are so light and almost feel like a toy. Any way everything is connected and working perfectly. I took out the rear 6th and 7th seat in the Disco and have managed to get the system packed down in the foot well and I have now created some nice space under my slider. See pictures attached.

Regards Gavin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6499.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	588594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6501.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	588595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6505.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	588596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6506.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	409.9 KB 
ID:	588597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6525.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	381.3 KB 
ID:	588598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6526.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	588599  
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab 2470
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wedwo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkonius View Post
    Hi KG, thanks for the info and for sharing your photos.

Out of interest, are the battery monitor displays those that came with your batteries, or did you add additional monitors for ease of viewing SOC, etc.?
    They are extra little displays. Their percentage charge indication is hopelessly inaccurate on them. They are good for the voltage indication though, from which it’s fairly easy to deduct the non-linear state of charge.

2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    To me it seems the cells being sold are LiFePO4 and fail to see any problem. They look similar to the cells that Will Prowse have been posting videos on youtube on his channel.

Not sure what is termed "CARELESS ADVERTISING"

The current offer of R5000 for 120Ah including BMS seems a superb deal.
    I think he is referring to the point that Lithium batteries SA describes the LiFePO4 battery incorrectly as Lithium ion instead of Lithium iron. ion are normally 3.6v and iron is 3.2v.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jeev For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    I think he is referring to the point that Lithium batteries SA describes the LiFePO4 battery incorrectly as Lithium ion instead of Lithium iron. ion are normally 3.6v and iron is 3.2v.
    Thanks Jeev, that is exactly what I was trying to explain. Maybe I never explained properly, I was trying to understand why the adverts constantly use Ion rather than what I believe should be Iron. I believe Blue Nova use Iron. Unless I am mistaken, and I could be, I think the missing "r" makes a significant difference. I too wish to upgrade to Lithium in due course and don't want to buy the wrong batteries.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" plus
    Badger 4i BL2 "Ratel"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Morning guys

I've been following this thread with interest, as I'm also on the point of buying an auxiliary battery.

The following "google results" might prove interesting. Bear in mind I have NO idea who Newcastle systems are, so please also do your own research:

https://www.newcastlesys.com/blog/li...nitial%20days.

An excerpt from the above URL:

Phosphate based technology possesses superior thermal and chemical stability which provides better safety characteristics than those of Lithium-ion technology made with other cathode materials. Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible in the event of mishandling during charge or discharge, they are more stable under overcharge or short circuit conditions and they can withstand high temperatures without decomposing. When abuse does occur, the phosphate based cathode material will not burn and is not prone to thermal runaway. Phosphate chemistry also offers a longer cycle life.

Which makes me think that for our purposes, LiFePO4 is a better bet even though the energy-density is lower than that of Lithium-ion. Lithium-ion seems better suited to electronic devices such as cellphones.

Wikepedia, for those wanting to do a bit more reading:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery. Interestingly (for those with a pedantic bent, such as myself), this URL states:

The lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4 battery) or LFP battery (lithium ferrophosphate), is a type of lithium-ion battery using LiFePO4 as the cathode material (on a battery this is the positive side), and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic backing as the anode

I'm very keen to hear of any more experiences with lithiumbatteriessa.co.za, particularly in the 4x4 environment, as their prices appear so good. I'm just wary of the old adage : "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"....
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    I'm very keen to hear of any more experiences with lithiumbatteriessa.co.za, particularly in the 4x4 environment, as their prices appear so good. I'm just wary of the old adage : "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"....
    So far my experiences with Bain at https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/ is that he is 100% top notch and completely legit.

He is not only more than helpful, he also listens to customers and helps out where he can if he can.

My "review" of https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/ is 100% my own nor will I receive any monetary or other remuneration for this "review".
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post

The lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4 battery) or LFP battery (lithium ferrophosphate), is a type of lithium-ion battery using LiFePO4 as the cathode material (on a battery this is the positive side), and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic backing as the anode

Interesting - during my years in the electroplating industry the Anode used to be positive and is also the side that gets depleted. This seems to the opposite to the indication of anode and cathode.

I wonder then which source is correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anode.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	588693

OK, so have received my 108Ah Blue Nova, right at the gate I was already impressed with the weight, certainly a huge positive feature (for me).

Busy testing now, will try to charge it with my HCDP battery box and see what happens.

It arrived with a 13.2 volt level, which should indicate a 70% charge, which is about right for storage / travel.

I don't have a dedicated LIFEPO4 charger, but I have ordered a CTek Lithium XS from Amazon.de. This will arrive in a few weeks.

I have a CTek Bluetooth Battery Sense which I will use to monitor the battery voltage.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    OK, so have received my 108Ah Blue Nova, right at the gate I was already impressed with the weight, certainly a huge positive feature (for me).

Busy testing now, will try to charge it with my HCDP battery box and see what happens.

It arrived with a 13.2 volt level, which should indicate a 70% charge, which is about right for storage / travel.

I don't have a dedicated LIFEPO4 charger, but I have ordered a CTek Lithium XS from Amazon.de. This will arrive in a few weeks.

I have a CTek Bluetooth Battery Sense which I will use to monitor the battery voltage.
    You should just have bought the Victron charger, in stock in SA. Price also better than the CTEK plus good back up.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    You should just have bought the Victron charger, in stock in SA. Price also better than the CTEK plus good back up.
    Which model is that, and the price ? From where ?

The CTek was R2600.

I bought my Victron goodies from ReVolt. Good service.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

The Victron 4A with BT is about R1300 if you shop around. The 5A not much more.
    Bruce Hunter

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Any ideas for a DC-DC 20A charger that does a Lithium profile ?

The CTek D250SE is a bit expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Any ideas for a DC-DC 20A charger that does a Lithium profile ?

The CTek D250SE is a bit expensive.
    Victron Orion Smart TR 30A about R3k.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    So far my experiences with Bain at https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/ is that he is 100% top notch and completely legit.

He is not only more than helpful, he also listens to customers and helps out where he can if he can.

My "review" of https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/ is 100% my own nor will I receive any monetary or other remuneration for this "review".
    100%, but you are going to have to DIY the battery, that is the only ‘catch’.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast