Continues to run couple seconds after shut-off: Diesel 2001 Pajero 5speed 3200 Engine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Continues to run couple seconds after shut-off: Diesel 2001 Pajero 5speed 3200 Engine

Hello all, I'm new to the forum (and to forums (fora?) in general). Please have patience if I don't post in the right place or do something else wrong. Does anyone have any experience with a Pajero 3200 diesel engine continuing to run for a couple seconds after turning off the key switch? My engine doesn't always do it. But when it does happen, in the 2-3 seconds it continues to run, the RPMs increase slightly from 700 RPM idle to 1,200 - 1,400 and then it turns off. It worries me because I am concerned there is perhaps a petroleum contaminant / lubricant getting into the injection pump or air supply or other inappropriate fuel source which could cause a runaway diesel if the problem is not addressed soon.

Is there an electronic solenoid that cuts off the fuel supply that perhaps is not consistently actuating its full motion? What do you think could be causing the problem?

This rig has 500,000 km, and is otherwise going strong!

Thanks for any and all help you can offer me.
    Last edited by nonoctane; 2020/09/08 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Continues to run couple seconds after shut-off: Diesel 2001 Pajero 5speed 3200 En

You have carbon build up in the cylinder heads. use a good De carbon product that you spray into the intake, or have it removed and clean the soot. There is un-burned fuel that struggles to get passed the carbon soot that built up.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2020/09/08 at 12:37 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Continues to run couple seconds after shut-off: Diesel 2001 Pajero 5speed 3200 En

Thanks. I will try the air-intake additive for sure. Easier to put a de-carboning agent into the air intake. Any commercial brand that you can recommend, or any generic substitutes? Maybe isopropyl alcohol or aerosolized acetone? I can get acetone. Very few commercial products are available in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoctane View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum (and to forums (fora?) in general). Please have patience if I don't post in the right place or do something else wrong. Does anyone have any experience with a Pajero 3200 diesel engine continuing to run for a couple seconds after turning off the key switch? My engine doesn't always do it. But when it does happen, in the 2-3 seconds it continues to run, the RPMs increase slightly from 700 RPM idle to 1,200 - 1,400 and then it turns off. It worries me because I am concerned there is perhaps a petroleum contaminant / lubricant getting into the injection pump or air supply or other inappropriate fuel source which could cause a runaway diesel if the problem is not addressed soon.

Is there an electronic solenoid that cuts off the fuel supply that perhaps is not consistently actuating its full motion? What do you think could be causing the problem?

This rig has 500,000 km, and is otherwise going strong!

Thanks for any and all help you can offer me.
    It is usually one of these, an easy fix.

1)the vacuum tube popping off the engine kill diaphragm (https://www.google.com/search?q=paje...uHexVdbxgT5f7M)

2) or the little spring on the back of the engine idle diaphragm that wears out with time leading to it popping out of its clip resulting in the throttle body flaps staying open after shutoff. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ghly-when-warm

Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    You have carbon build up in the cylinder heads. use a good De carbon product that you spray into the intake, or have it removed and clean the soot. There is un-burned fuel that struggles to get passed the carbon soot that built up.
    Highly unlikely that this will cause run on in a diesel engine.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    agreed

I suspect oil residue in the inlet, post turbo. Could be from positive crankcase pressure or worn turbo seals.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    agreed

I suspect oil residue in the inlet, post turbo. Could be from positive crankcase pressure or worn turbo seals.
    Would you recommend turbo replacement out of an abundance of caution? Or would the problem typically get progressively worse before runaway?

What could cause positive crankcase pressure, and what would remedy be for that?

Would you recommend turbo replacement out of an abundance of caution? Or would the problem typically get progressively worse before runaway?

What could cause positive crankcase pressure, and what would remedy be for that?
    I guess your problem is more in line with post #4. First investigate the hardware.

Oil residu must be quite severe to cause engine runaway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Do a systematic step by step elimination of the possibilities starting at the easiest, most logical, least involved, cheapest possibilities first.

I agree on the fuel build up in the inlet manifold being unlikely - no fuel in inlet manifold. Carbon and oil maybe but check this out at a later stage.

One thing that has also benefited is to ask "what happened before the problem occurred" and one of the first steps would be to go and look in this area. EG - A new battery was fitted and a vacuum pipe was damaged in the process.

These are amazing vehicles and do not have issues. It is usually simply "some one" that caused a problem.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

I guess your problem is more in line with post #4. First investigate the hardware.

Oil residu must be quite severe to cause engine runaway.
    Just FYI

A comment on this point. On my 2.5tdi diesel WL Ford with 250K km I was interested in how much oil residue was in the intercooler. I took it off and found very little. Washed it out with petrol and then blew it out with compressed air before refitting it. Got it washed after that reversed it out idling got into the street and then accelerated. Hoo boy!
    It started revving and knocking like hell and immediately realised the problem. I kept it in gear and braked like hell to kill the motor runaway. It was scary especially when I realised just how little it actually took to experience the run away. Granted it was petrol vs oil but my point is there could only have been a sniff of it left in the manifold and it was maneuvered around being washed as well. Just saying FYI.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2020/09/08 at 03:22 PM.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

I Used to own a 2004 with 440 000 km on, did the same. So I had the intake cleaned because this was the advise given to me. Worked like a charm. Problem solved. So, I might be highly unlikely but it was my problem so its also very possible.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

I Used to own a 2004 with 440 000 km on, did the same. So I had the intake cleaned because this was the advise given to me. Worked like a charm. Problem solved. So, I might be highly unlikely but it was my problem so its also very possible.
    Not arguing but trying to understand.

In a carburettor fed petrol engine, excessive carbon in the combustion chamber can glow and cause combustion after switch off because fuel can still be sucked in. On an FI engine not possible becasue when you switch off, the fuel supply is also cut off.

On a modern diesel engine, like the 3.2, fuel is also cut off the moment you switch off. So how excessive carbon can casue run on, I'm unsure of. Especially with such a relatively high compression ratio.

Would not mind an explanation. I guess at that mileage it might be a combination of glowing carbon and excessive crank case fumes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

It's not maybe fitted with one of those "compensaters" that they used to fit on the early turbo diesels to make them idle for 30 seconds in order for the turbo to have oil flow while it is winding down?
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CornellMans For This Useful Post:

Not arguing but trying to understand.

In a carburettor fed petrol engine, excessive carbon in the combustion chamber can glow and cause combustion after switch off because fuel can still be sucked in. On an FI engine not possible becasue when you switch off, the fuel supply is also cut off.

On a modern diesel engine, like the 3.2, fuel is also cut off the moment you switch off. So how excessive carbon can casue run on, I'm unsure of. Especially with such a relatively high compression ratio.

Would not mind an explanation. I guess at that mileage it might be a combination of glowing carbon and excessive crank case fumes.

No idea, mine was sorted though. I googled the issue now a bit and it seems there are few possibilities
    1. the Idle diaphragm or engine kill diaphragm can have a leaking pipe or broken seal which can also cause this
    2. carbon built up (Direct injection pumps not common rail (200-2006) (mine was sorted with this issue sorted)
    3. faulty throttle control valve

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

No idea, mine was sorted though. I googled the issue now a bit and it seems there are few possibilities
    1. the Idle diaphragm or engine kill diaphragm can have a leaking pipe or broken seal which can also cause this
    2. carbon built up (Direct injection pumps not common rail (200-2006) (mine was sorted with this issue sorted)
    3. faulty throttle control valve
    This is a good summary. Mechanic said idle and kill diaphragms are good, as well as tubing to the diaphragms are not leaking. Not sure how he tested the diaphragms or tubing or how he "knows" and I would like that information. How can I instruct him to clean out the carbon build-up without removing the heads? Are you saying that carbon build-up (if the build-up exists) is in the intake manifold, in other words just after the air cleaner exit plumbing? Can he squirt copious amounts of carb cleaner in to the air intake while it's running, like in a gasoline engine? Or are you saying to buy "diesel fuel additive" like Sea Foam type stuff for diesels?

This is a good summary. Mechanic said idle and kill diaphragms are good, as well as tubing to the diaphragms are not leaking. Not sure how he tested the diaphragms or tubing or how he "knows" and I would like that information. How can I instruct him to clean out the carbon build-up without removing the heads? Are you saying that carbon build-up (if the build-up exists) is in the intake manifold, in other words just after the air cleaner exit plumbing? Can he squirt copious amounts of carb cleaner in to the air intake while it's running, like in a gasoline engine? Or are you saying to buy "diesel fuel additive" like Sea Foam type stuff for diesels?
    Okay that eliminates two simple solutions. If it is carbon build up then yes it is in the intake manifold (more prevalent on the gen 4 common rail see here on a triton 4m41 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYp8...tiveTechnician). I suppose if the flaps on the intake manifold are carbon'd up they may stay open and not actually blocked which is what usually happens. If you clean the manifold (easy to remove) then use a genuine gasket.

But the other suggestions should also be investigated (Jelo's post for example). Is it using any oil? Turbo seals failing will result in high oil usage so if its not using oil then its probably not that.

No ignore my posts. I'm just an old keyboard warrior.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

This guy with a Pajero on YouTube seems very positive on LiquiMoly diesel intake spray-in cleaner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAmVtpm5Pc
    Last edited by nonoctane; 2020/09/09 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    No ignore my posts. I'm just an old keyboard warrior.
    You are faaaaar more knowledgeable than I am, I'm an absolute newbie .

This guy with a Pajero on YouTube seems very positive on LiquiMoly diesel intake spray-in cleaner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAmVtpm5Pc
    If your intake is really dirty and causing the problem too this extent then that intake cleaner will do nothing.

Name:  Pajero - Intake Manifold.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  114.1 KB

This is what my gen 4 common rail looked like after 250k (car ran fine though). I cant imagine any amount of engine cleaner would get rid of that. I would not feel comfortable with that going out through my engine anyways.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/09/09 at 10:14 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast