campingsites FOR hwange - MANA POOLS JULY / AUG 2021

Default campingsites FOR hwange - MANA POOLS JULY / AUG 2021

hello ,we are planning our trip for next year to Hwange and mana pools, the planning is to stay 4 nights hwange and 5 nights Mana Pools, and 4nights tuli total of days staying 23
    and taking the kariba ferry to Mana pools and back

We are renting a landcruiser with 2 rooftop tents in joburg and no turbo so not fast on the roads ,what is the best way to go to Hwange, via Botswana and overnight on the way to Hwange or directly into Zimbabwe via beitbridge?Also thinking about fuel?

Can anyone give us information about where to book campsites at Mana Pools and which are the best ?

much appreciated
    Last edited by TASHUNKA; 2020/09/07 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: campingsites FOR hwange - MANA POOLS JULY / AUG 2021

Make sure you stay at least one night at Sinamatella - excellent views out over the bush. We've stayed at main camp Hwange too and it's handy for the office and has a restaurant and bar.

The logical trip is Beitbridge-Bulawayo-Hwange. When we crossed Beitbridge (a while ago now) it was fast and efficient - contrary to the rumours...

When do you go to Tuli block, before or after Hwange? Your original post is muddled, we don't know in what order you plan to do your trip.

Give us an idea and we can assist you.

hello again, we will start at joburg to Hwange or Mana pools it depends from the kariba ferry schedule that we have to take at mlibizi ,and the last 4 or 5 nights we will stay at tuli
    our trip starts at the 22th july at joburg and we will have to be back on the 13th august to fly out from joburg , thanks already

Great.

From Jhb I'd head straight north through Beit Bridge. Stop at Great Zimbabwe ruins and then on to Mana via Harare.

After Mana if you are dead set on the ferry then so be it, but you could also take the road via Chizarira and then onto Hwange (maybe via Vic Falls for a night if you haven't been). I'd head straight to Robins and then see what camping is available in other parts of the reserve. Sinamatella is amazing for views but the chalets are being used for staff accommodation by a mining firm, not sure how that will impact your stay there.

Leaving Hwange I'd head south via Bulawayo and spend a couple of night in Matopos before crossing at Plumtree and onto Tuli via Francistown.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Lets hope that Covid allows your African trip to occur. Fuel does not need to be a consideration, fuel stations have 2 queues, one for local currency and one for those paying in USD, the USD queue is not really a queue you just drive up and pay.

Rob is correct re Beitbridge, we have passed through there about 12x in the last 4 years and only had a single bad experience. If going straight to Mana, which is a good idea, I'd rather go Beitbridge/Bulawayo (stay at Matobo/Matopos)/Gweru/Kwekwe/Kadoma/Chegutu/Chinhoyi/Mana. This route is 50kms further but a) you bypass Harare and b) the Beitbridge/Harare road is one of the worst in the country, completely destroyed by large vehicles, avoid if at all possible. The downside is you miss Great Zimbabwe.

The ferry does not always run, it depends if there are sufficient paying customers, so you will need to have an alternate plan.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2020/09/08 at 02:01 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

https://africageographic.com/stories...national-park/

Chinese are planning to mine coal in Hwange !!! get there soon or else it'll be gone - forever! Join any and all protest groups you can find to stop this. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this nonsense MUST be stopped.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wilfwalk For This Useful Post:

Seems its been done
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Hi.
    Could someone please advise me how to book in Mana.
    Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushdreamer For This Useful Post:

For our upcoming trip to Mana Pools, I've used https://www.manapools.com for booking campsite. Email: ant[at]manapools.com
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    When do you go to Tuli block, before or after Hwange? Your original post is muddled, we don't know in what order you plan to do your trip.

Give us an idea and we can assist you.
    If you do go to Tuli I suggest Molema Bush Camp - friendly and a great site on the riverbank.

Since its still a while to your trip, perhaps some further ideas.

1: By now you should be aware of avoiding Beit Bridge at ALL costs. I would suggest you go via Botswana (sleep over at Elephant Sands) and enter Zimbabwe via the tiny Pandamatenga border post which gets you into Hwange.
    2: In Hwange you can camp at the picnic sites in the Park - best place in the park to camp is Masuma Dam but also try Shumba picnic site (both easy access from Pandamatenga Border Post) - booking via Zimbabwe National Parks.
    3: IF the ferry is running you can travel west to east on the lake to get to Mana. More likely you will need to drive - see video below.
    4: Again to avoid Beit Bridge I would exit Zimbabwe via Plumtree Border post into Botswana and access Tuli that way. There is also a very small border post South of Plumtree if you are more adventurous. Stay in Matopos (also known as Matobo) National Park outside Bulawayo on your way down from Mana if you can (or replace Tuli with this). Cecil John Rhodes is buried there because he believed it to be the most beautiful place in Africa.

Link to video on Masuma Dam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWatfY3fXUo&t=585s
    Link to video on drive to Mana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DOMfZSU4ZA&t=330s

Enjoy
    Last edited by GrahamF; 2021/01/13 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamF View Post
    Since its still a while to your trip, perhaps some further ideas.

1: By now you should be aware of avoiding Beit Bridge at ALL costs. I would suggest you go via Botswana (sleep over at Elephant Sands) and enter Zimbabwe via the tiny Pandamatenga border post which gets you into Hwange.
    2: In Hwange you can camp at the picnic sites in the Park - best place in the park to camp is Masuma Dam but also try Shumba picnic site (both easy access from Pandamatenga Border Post) - booking via Zimbabwe National Parks.
    3: IF the ferry is running you can travel west to east on the lake to get to Mana. More likely you will need to drive - see video below.
    4: Again to avoid Beit Bridge I would exit Zimbabwe via Plumtree Border post into Botswana and access Tuli that way. There is also a very small border post South of Plumtree if you are more adventurous. Stay in Matopos (also known as Matobo) National Park outside Bulawayo on your way down from Mana if you can (or replace Tuli with this). Cecil John Rhodes is buried there because he believed it to be the most beautiful place in Africa.

Link to video on Masuma Dam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWatfY3fXUo&t=585s
    Link to video on drive to Mana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DOMfZSU4ZA&t=330s

Enjoy
    What is the name of the very small border post south of Plumtree? Is it Matsiloje?
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    What is the name of the very small border post south of Plumtree? Is it Matsiloje?
    yes - the one west of Plumtree is Ramokgwebana and then the small one south of there is Matsiloje (Mphoengs)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbaleee For This Useful Post: