Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: What are the must watch African YouTube Overland Chanels

These have been mentioned many times on the thread so far but I have to say thanks to My Life in Africa, Get out go, 4x4 Ventures and Ed Bath overlanding for keeping the wife and I entertained. Love the content and wish Covid could be behind us so that you guys can bombard us with fresh content again! Keep up the great work guys!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Van der Poll For This Useful Post:

Enjoyed the Overlanding Escape video! Think it is great for channels to do something together.

I have tried to improve my content a bit, below the last 2 videos I did:

Groenkloof:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc62T9rdQ6U&t=156s

Paradise 4x4:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sxs4DcIyw&t=55s

Planning a longer trip for April. Will be doing the Senqu trip with Halfway Fourways - this is if Covid restrictions allows for it...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Hi All,

Ryan, Ed and I have started a new Overlanding channel called Overlanding Escape. The first episode will be launching Mon 18 Jan at 20:00;
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL0...qaL3EWUBuJ8MxA

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
    Christoff
    Yes gents, love it!
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post:

I've watched a lot of the channels over the last week, simply because I decided I've had enough of Netflix etc., and wanted things closer to my real passions; - the bush, overlanding, all those things. Actually craving authenticity. Great contributions by everyone, thank you.

I do massively appreciate Juba's Journey, simply because of the honesty and authenticity of the production. I'm a bit put-off when stickers with brand names and stuff for YouTube channels start going boldly on vehicle doors and it becomes such an obvious intentional commercial 'venture'. Perhaps if it is that, then fine, it's no different to a Voetspore etc. in the making, but I really appreciate a couple or family truly overlanding and documenting their journey on a non commercial basis, not seeking sponsorships, not trying to make it a career. Authenticity is a winner in todays world.

Just my 5c, either way, lekker to watch all the stuff. So when do our borders open again and no COVID tests?
    Last edited by Kortgat; 2021/01/31 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling error
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Yes this thread changed my life

I subscribed to all mentioned channels and can't wait for the next episode of each one.

Spend much more time on these channels than Dstv and Netflix combined.

Further I watch the live feeds of the game reserves with Tembe being no 1.

I also enjoy the daily feedback on the ST Lucia estuary.

Keep going guys..youvare giving us great joy when we cannot get out ourselves.

Finding out about new camp sites or passes or trips.

Wonderful.
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2021/01/31 at 12:53 PM.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Yes this thread changed my life

I subscribed to all mentioned channels and can't wait for the next episode of each one.

Spend much more time on these channels than Dstv and Netflix combined.

Further I watch the live feeds of the game reserves with Tembe being no 1.

I also enjoy the daily feedback on the ST Lucia estuary.

Keep going guys..youvare giving us great joy when we cannot get out ourselves.

Finding out about new camp sites or passes or trips.

Wonderful.
    What Hannes said

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markus and Zelda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    I've watched a lot of the channels over the last week, simply because I decided I've had enough of Netflix etc., and wanted things closer to my real passions; - the bush, overlanding, all those things. Actually craving authenticity. Great contributions by everyone, thank you.

I do massively appreciate Juba's Journey, simply because of the honesty and authenticity of the production. I'm a bit put-off when stickers with brand names and stuff for YouTube channels start going boldly on vehicle doors and it becomes such an obvious intentional commercial 'venture'. Perhaps if it is that, then fine, it's no different to a Voetspore etc. in the making, but I really appreciate a couple or family truly overlanding and documenting their journey on a non commercial basis, not seeking sponsorships, not trying to make it a career. Authenticity is a winner in todays world.

Just my 5c, either way, lekker to watch all the stuff. So when do our borders open again and no COVID tests?
    Juba sold everything he owns and quit his job to do his trip and create his YouTube content.

Youíll excuse the rest of us if weíre not able to do so and thus add branding and sponsorships to be able to pay for the content you get for free.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Juba sold everything he owns and quit his job to do his trip and create his YouTube content.

Youíll excuse the rest of us if weíre not able to do so and thus add branding and sponsorships to be able to pay for the content you get for free.
    Not cool to attack a guy for his opinion. You will loose subscribers for sure. After all, they are your customers, free or not.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

I agree with this and itís a little strange that you think putting stickers on your door to try and promote something youíve put countless hours and finance into makes it un authentic. The couple of sponsors we worked hard for and are very grateful to have donít tell us what to say or how to shoot out there, not attacking anyoneís opinion here just looking at it from the other side. I get that everyone has personal taste but I donít think itís fair assuming people are being un authentic because they have stickers on their door.
    We are grateful and appreciate everyone who watches and supports our stuff so thank you to all of you.

Regards
    Edward Bath

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Edward Bath For This Useful Post:

I hate adverts but will never complain about them as I get to watch YouTube for free. I don't mind product reviews, as I see things I might not have seen before.

We have no right to expect anyone's videos for free.
    ZS1ETphonehome

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Bath View Post
    I agree with this and itís a little strange that you think putting stickers on your door to try and promote something youíve put countless hours and finance into makes it un authentic. The couple of sponsors we worked hard for and are very grateful to have donít tell us what to say or how to shoot out there, not attacking anyoneís opinion here just looking at it from the other side. I get that everyone has personal taste but I donít think itís fair assuming people are being un authentic because they have stickers on their door.
    We are grateful and appreciate everyone who watches and supports our stuff so thank you to all of you.

Regards
    Edward Bath
    Yup.

I think it comes down to how one goes about it. Stickers, reviews, product placement can be done well.

Alternatively, it can be done like 4WD-24/7, at which point it actually becomes a joke.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

It's fine guys, still like your channels plenty, stickers or not, just pointing out that I prefer content without branding everywhere. I.e. the guy who does it simply for the passion of amateur film making, sharing and with no commercial intent.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

I watch almost all the local content and cannot wait for the next vid to be released. Personally I would love to be able to be in the boat with these guys, but can imagine the cost, dedication and many many hours spent to provide a quality 30 min vid, for free.

I also watch a lot of Aus vids and some go overboard with promoting their sponsors. If done like 4WD-24/7 where they dedicate a few minutes at the end I don't mind because I never watch that.

What I dislike is the lot of disruptive advertising in between, but not attributed to these guys.

Keep it up Gent, I love what you do and I cannot wait to explore with you though your lenses and comments.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Ď18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    Ď19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    Ď17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

I have subscribed to most of the local ones mentioned. I enjoy watching the local content.

Botswana content is awesome from Edward, Christoff, My Life in Africa and 4x4 ventures . - please guys doing what you are doing and share with us. As this is something we are planning hopefully next year, due to covid we would have done Botswana this past December.

Above mention do carry some branding and advertising. But that is not what their channel/content are about.

Even Roam Overlanding who has a fair amount of sponsors with his build of the Hilux is still not all about sponsors.

Andre 4x4 and wd24/7 is sponsor orientated, although certain of their content I do enjoy.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Hi guys as yet another youtuber wannabe there is an aspect of youtubing that I dont think is discussed . If you are on'a trip with friends you are either going to ruin their trip by being pedantic about getting the shot and make them all awkward or you are going to miss the spontaneous shot because your camera wasnt ready. I think that is a big cause for shaky clips where you hurriedly grabbed a camera to try and get the moment before it is too late. And dont even think of re shooting it unless your whole group are professional actors.I suspect that is why people like ASPW rather camps on his own so that he can control everything .

Yes, it is very frustrating to get home and then realize that the magical clip has wind garble for sound. Talking about sound - you must either pay a fortune to use the songs you like or you are stuck with lift music. That is why most youtube videos sound the same because that is the only free music available.
    If you have a full time job it takes you ages to finish the editing due to it taking an immense amount of time - especially if you are a digital dinosaur like me. Its not all moan and gripes . There is something very satisfactory to at last have a video ready and you know it is saved on Youtube and not on my hard drive where I will most probably loose it.

Ok after all of that i am not going to miss the opportunity to invite you to visit my Overlandervanman site where i Show you how I built my own 4x4 camper or at least check out the video I released yesterday of our Baviaanskloof trip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0CEJ2WMik
    thanks
    anton

Last edited by Anton Alberts; 2021/02/01 at 02:56 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anton Alberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Alberts View Post
    Hi guys as yet another youtuber wannabe there is an aspect of youtubing that I dont think is discussed . If you are on'a trip with friends you are either going to ruin their trip by being pedantic about getting the shot and make them all awkward or you are going to miss the spontaneous shot because your camera wasnt ready. I think that is a big cause for shaky clips where you hurriedly grabbed a camera to try and get the moment before it is too late. And dont even think of re shooting it unless your whole group are professional actors.I suspect that is why people like ASPW rather camps on his own so that he can control everything .

Yes, it is very frustrating to get home and then realize that the magical clip has wind garble for sound. Talking about sound - you must either pay a fortune to use the songs you like or you are stuck with lift music. That is why most youtube videos sound the same because that is the only free music available.
    If you have a full time job it takes you ages to finish the editing due to it taking an immense amount of time - especially if you are a digital dinosaur like me. Its not all moan and gripes . There is something very satisfactory to at last have a video ready and you know it is saved on Youtube and not on my hard drive where I will most probably loose it.

Ok after all of that i am not going to miss the opportunity to invite you to visit my Overlandervanman site where i Show you how I built my own 4x4 camper or at least check out the video I released yesterday of our Baviaanskloof trip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0CEJ2WMik
    thanks
    anton

Anton, ek het jou ombouing van die camper geniet. Hou so aan.
    BTW, ek is 'n subscriber ook van jou op YT

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Anton, ek het jou ombouing van die camper geniet. Hou so aan.
    BTW, ek is 'n subscriber ook van jou op YT
    Baie dankie Dwayne . Veral omdat jy subscribe het. Gee n man weer motivering om voort te gaan . Op n baie opwindende oomblik met subscribers . Nog 5 subscribers dan het ek die magiese 1000 subscribers bereik . Ek het nooit in my videos gepush vir subscribe nie dan vat dit maar net bietie langer
    Last edited by Anton Alberts; 2021/02/01 at 04:02 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Alberts For This Useful Post:

Dis baie entertaining om te hoor wat almal se terugvoering is, beide die wat content verskaf en die wat terugvoering gee.

Een ding is verseker, daar gaan 'n handjie vol YouTube channels wees wat baie goed gaan doen itv sponsorships ens. en dan gaan daar die groep wees wat silos van supporters het. Beide is great vir die offroad communities. Ek hoop beide partye respekteer mekaar en support mekaar waar hulle kan.

Ek hoop ook regtig dat ons as SA mense, probeer content maak vir die SA mark en ons eie ekonomie probeer bevorder. Dis duidelik dat almal die volumes (subscriptions) jaag van Australia maar ek wil amper sÍ dat hulle nie eintlik belangstel in wat SA doen nie. Dalk hou Europe se manne van wat ons hier doen... of dalk is daar 'n paar SA channels wat my nou gaan verkeerd bewys oor hulle stats... maar stats is ook net stats as daar wesenlike volume is. Anyway, my punt is net dat ek hoop ons almal contribute in die SA mark.

As iemand wat ook ons familie se trips probeer deel op YouTube vir 'n hobby, dink ek dis belangrik vir almal om dievolgende te lees.

As jy kyk:
    • Kyk na die video, en as jy dit nie like nie, kyk na die video se kanaal en soek nog een video. Probeer die 'latest' episodes kyk om die creator 'n benefit te gee. As jy ook nie daarvan hou nie, move on. Moet nou nie die man skiet op die plek nie.
    • As jy die video like, druk die like knoppie. Moenie daardie ou wees en die dislike knoppie druk nie. Almal probeer.
    • As jy comment, lekker. Probeer value add, nie video of audio tips gee nie.
    • Subscribe na die channels wat jy kyk, dalk verras hulle jou eendag.
    • En dalk nommer 5, share videos wat goed is met jou mede kamp mense... soos jou WhatsApp groepe, of Facebook, of instagram, ens.

As jy videos maak:
    • Moenie iets probeer justify nie... kykers kyk wat hulle wil kyk en soek iets wat hulle like... nie wat jy like nie.
    • Praat in jou taal, dit gaan baie meer authentic wees tensy jy met iemand praat wat engels is. Of praat net wat jy wil.. maar kerels, daar is niks fout met ons taal nie en daar is genoeg kykers hier om jou kanaal goeie vordering te gee. En as jou engels baie goed is, dan gooi hom.. ek se maar net.
    • Vind 'n tema vir jou kanaal, sodat mense weet wat jou kanaal bied. Dis mos die doel hier, maak 'n video sodat ander kan sien waar jy was, of wat jy eet, of wat jy maak, en dan kan hulle dit ook doen.
    • Moenie maak of jy 'n seasoned overlander is en 4x4 guru is as jy een of twee trips gedoen het nie.. baie kykers ken baie meer.. probeer liewers leer in die proses.
    • Probeer met ander channels chat en wees verwysings vir mekaar. Dit help almal.

Nou ja, kom ons geniet ons SA kanale en dalk in 'n paar jaar van nou af het ons 'n industry vertical geskep wat ons SA mense help.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tjoppie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Alberts View Post
    Baie dankie Dwayne . Veral omdat jy subscribe het. Gee n man weer motivering om voort te gaan . Op n baie opwindende oomblik met subscribers . Nog 5 subscribers dan het ek die magiese 1000 subscribers bereik . Ek het nooit in my videos gepush vir subscribe nie dan vat dit maar net bietie langer
    Ek ook sopas een geword. Ek subscribe en kyk dit voor ek sabc kyk. Aan almal, hou so aan dankie
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by tjoppie View Post
    Dis baie entertaining om te hoor wat almal se terugvoering is, beide die wat content verskaf en die wat terugvoering gee.

Een ding is verseker, daar gaan 'n handjie vol YouTube channels wees wat baie goed gaan doen itv sponsorships ens. en dan gaan daar die groep wees wat silos van supporters het. Beide is great vir die offroad communities. Ek hoop beide partye respekteer mekaar en support mekaar waar hulle kan.

Ek hoop ook regtig dat ons as SA mense, probeer content maak vir die SA mark en ons eie ekonomie probeer bevorder. Dis duidelik dat almal die volumes (subscriptions) jaag van Australia maar ek wil amper sÍ dat hulle nie eintlik belangstel in wat SA doen nie. Dalk hou Europe se manne van wat ons hier doen... of dalk is daar 'n paar SA channels wat my nou gaan verkeerd bewys oor hulle stats... maar stats is ook net stats as daar wesenlike volume is. Anyway, my punt is net dat ek hoop ons almal contribute in die SA mark.

As iemand wat ook ons familie se trips probeer deel op YouTube vir 'n hobby, dink ek dis belangrik vir almal om dievolgende te lees.

As jy kyk:
    • Kyk na die video, en as jy dit nie like nie, kyk na die video se kanaal en soek nog een video. Probeer die 'latest' episodes kyk om die creator 'n benefit te gee. As jy ook nie daarvan hou nie, move on. Moet nou nie die man skiet op die plek nie.
    • As jy die video like, druk die like knoppie. Moenie daardie ou wees en die dislike knoppie druk nie. Almal probeer.
    • As jy comment, lekker. Probeer value add, nie video of audio tips gee nie.
    • Subscribe na die channels wat jy kyk, dalk verras hulle jou eendag.
    • En dalk nommer 5, share videos wat goed is met jou mede kamp mense... soos jou WhatsApp groepe, of Facebook, of instagram, ens.

As jy videos maak:
    • Moenie iets probeer justify nie... kykers kyk wat hulle wil kyk en soek iets wat hulle like... nie wat jy like nie.
    • Praat in jou taal, dit gaan baie meer authentic wees tensy jy met iemand praat wat engels is. Of praat net wat jy wil.. maar kerels, daar is niks fout met ons taal nie en daar is genoeg kykers hier om jou kanaal goeie vordering te gee. En as jou engels baie goed is, dan gooi hom.. ek se maar net.
    • Vind 'n tema vir jou kanaal, sodat mense weet wat jou kanaal bied. Dis mos die doel hier, maak 'n video sodat ander kan sien waar jy was, of wat jy eet, of wat jy maak, en dan kan hulle dit ook doen.
    • Moenie maak of jy 'n seasoned overlander is en 4x4 guru is as jy een of twee trips gedoen het nie.. baie kykers ken baie meer.. probeer liewers leer in die proses.
    • Probeer met ander channels chat en wees verwysings vir mekaar. Dit help almal.

Nou ja, kom ons geniet ons SA kanale en dalk in 'n paar jaar van nou af het ons 'n industry vertical geskep wat ons SA mense help.
    Kon dit nie beter gestel het nie
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast