Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default What are the must watch African YouTube Overland Chanels

Hi outside Roam Overlanding SA who has quality productions, who else in Africa are a must see?

Default Re: What are the must watch African YouTube Overland Chanels

Get out m, Go!
    Jubaís Journey
    My life in Africa
    4x4ventures

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothan For This Useful Post:

For some reason I can't stand Roam's presentation style and voice. He has some really good content ideas but everytime I listen to him I end up turning off.

Edward Bath and Hendri Mouton are good

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gothan View Post
    Get out m, Go!
    Jubaís Journey
    My life in Africa
    4x4ventures
    Discovered those Today due to their series being featured on Overland Boyd except jubas journey, I will Check juba out.

I donít mind Roam too much, but also watch for the vehicle content, and donít mind having the sound muted.

I really have tried some other local channels, even some mentioned on the forum, but I find it very hard to take them serious.

My biggest gripe being the awful audio. Vocals are often super soft, and music so much louder. Wind noise in microphones.
    Some narration is so lifeless and dreary that it makes one feel like hanging oneself.

Shots with randoms walking past the front of the camera, or 3rd parties commenting in different languages off camera but the vocals are included in the clips. Turning the camera while filming.

In fairness some international channels also do this, but you donít find that with the more successful ones.

There has to be some level of production.

Iím not professing to be Steven Spielberg here, but before showing something to the entire world, have some pride...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    I donít mind Roam too much, but also watch for the vehicle content, and donít mind having the sound muted.

I really have tried some other local channels, even some mentioned on the forum, but I find it very hard to take them serious.

My biggest gripe being the awful audio. Vocals are often super soft, and music so much louder. Wind noise in microphones.
    Some narration is so lifeless and dreary that it makes one feel like hanging oneself.

Shots with randoms walking past the front of the camera, or 3rd parties commenting in different languages off camera but the vocals are included in the clips. Turning the camera while filming.

In fairness some international channels also do this, but you donít find that with the more successful ones.

Iím not professing to be Steven Spielberg here, but before showing something to the entire world, have some pride...
    true, guys like roam Overlanding and aspw are pros. Interesting style is the YouTube Chanel the road chose me, guy drove all around africa in a Jeep, 54,000 miles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundutrailer For This Useful Post:

Iíll go take a look at that channel.

Something like Ďsoftroadingthewestí is a decent compromise.
    heís not a pro, but manages to have bearable clips, for a one man band with a full time job.

I found that roam overland was not bad in the beginning but has since gone down

Another channel that i think he copied his hilux idea from is RoamingRhino Overland quite a nice hilux build
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

In no particular order:

Get out Go - Overlanding/Camp site reviews (Forum Member)

Roam - Initial interesting concept. Overlanding/Touring

Jubas Journey - Overlanding

Henk Bogaards - Good trail reviews (Forum Member)

Trygve Roberts - Mountain passes/Bucket list (Forum Member)

Hendri Mouton - Just a magic oke. Varied, touring/trails/builds (Forum Member)

Off Course 4x4 (4WD Action Style/Format) Trails/Camping (The other Forum Members)

Jors Malan - Trail building in the Klein Pellaarea (Forum Member)

Rolbos Overland - Touring/Overlanding/Camping (Been inactive for quite awhile now)

Lets Get Lost South Africa - Trails/Touring/Camping
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/09/08 at 02:25 PM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Everybody's a critic

Give this feedback in the video comments, that's how people learn. Or start your own channel and do it better

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Also have a look at
    Edward Bath Overlanding (forum member)
    4x4 Ventures SA (forum member)
    My Life in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    In no particular order:

Get out Go - Overlanding/Camp site reviews (Forum Member)

Roam - Initial interesting concept. Overlanding/Touring

Jubas Journey - Overlanding

Henk Bogaards - Good trail reviews (Forum Member)

Trygve Roberts - Mountain passes/Bucket list (Forum Member)

Hendri Mouton - Just a magic oke. Varied, touring/trails/builds (Forum Member)

Off Course 4x4 (4WD Action Style/Format) Trails/Camping (The other Forum Members)

Jors Malan - Trail building in the Klein Pellaarea (Forum Member)

Rolbos Overland - Touring/Overlanding/Camping (Been inactive for quite awhile now)

Lets Get Lost South Africa - Trails/Touring/Camping in a 4x2. Magic Oke, much respect. He just gets out and does stuff in his 4x2 (Forum Member)
    Last edited by Christoff; 2020/09/08 at 11:04 AM.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Everybody's a critic

Give this feedback in the video comments, that's how people learn. Or start your own channel and do it better
    Christoff I think some people under-estimate what the gear costs. All very well saying cut out wind noise but that might mean a R5k mic. If youtube videos are just a hobby its hard to justify that kind of outlay

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Everybody's a critic

Hence my last sentence....

Hence my last sentence....
    Pretty presumptuous assuming just because the audio is bad in a clip that someone doesn't have pride in their work?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Christoff I think some people under-estimate what the gear costs. All very well saying cut out wind noise but that might mean a R5k mic. If youtube videos are just a hobby its hard to justify that kind of outlay
    Hey chaps, Ryan here from 4x4ventures, the most important thing to mention is COST, so I appreciate your comment, as it holds true.

The current spread of YouTube content creators are all unique in their own right and has something to offer everyone, new or old to the off road adventure "game." Some good content being created, and presenters from SA, and some channels are getting there. At the end of the day, there is no one size fits all.

REMEMBER that we pay for production gear, we self film, setup camps, drive, chat off the cuff, and lastly, edit the production, and don't have budget for the final stitching of this content created for everyone to watch for free. For example, a 30 minute pro episode can take 2 weeks, full time to create, audio, grade, graphix etc. We do this at a massive cost to ourselves, to share, with everyone.

We need support from local viewers. You can do this by hitting the appreciate thumbs up button, and leave a comment that is a progressive critique, and share locally.

We all have full time jobs and have a massive passion for sharing, teaching and inspiring others to have an adventure. We don't create to become millionaires. We make roughly 50$ a month from YouTube, so, just think a little before you compare us to the the Ausie and US shows. Those guys are getting paid sponsorships, all the product gear for every trip, salaries for working out there, and higher YouTube payments, some also have a shadow crew following and filming them - allot easier for them. We sometimes get gear, and once off, got some fuel allowance for a trip to Nxai Pan. Thank you Conqueror North Gate.

Guys, we salute you and your support. We would love to do this full time, but only with your help and proper brand patronage will it be possible. Help grow all the SA YouTube channels. We will get there, and hope to see you out there.

Cheers
    Ryan
    @4x4ventures

Support the local YouTubers. It means more to us than you know 🙌
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

Pretty presumptuous assuming just because the audio is bad in a clip that someone doesn't have pride in their work?
    Yes it is unfairly so.

but if I watched back a clip I might have made after doing my editing, and found something like the sound being at huge level differences, or the cross fading of images being unpleasant, do I not think that hey maybe I can get it a bit better? Or Ďchannel so and soí that I aspire to be like (or rival, or inspired me) watches and flows so nicely, how can I do that?

Would you paint your car door a massively different colour to the rest of the car, or would you at least try get te colour fairly similar?

Anyways... I donít have a channel, because I donít think I can do it properly with what I have.
    I donít go and criticize on the channels, because I am not doing it any better.

But I will list on an open platform somethings that they might read, that might make any of us look at our products differently, and then might help them improve the product they put out.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

Yes it is unfairly so.

but if I watched back a clip I might have made after doing my editing, and found something like the sound being at huge level differences, or the cross fading of images being unpleasant, do I not think that hey maybe I can get it a bit better? Or Ďchannel so and soí that I aspire to be like (or rival, or inspired me) watches and flows so nicely, how can I do that?

Would you paint your car door a massively different colour to the rest of the car, or would you at least try get te colour fairly similar?

Anyways... I donít have a channel, because I donít think I can do it properly with what I have.

But I will list on an open platform somethings that they might read, that might make any of us look at our products differently, and then might help them improve the product they put out.
    Not the greatest metaphor there chap. And I find your comment displeasing to say the least.
    All the channels mentioned in the posts above are created by passionate people, I have met most of the, and believe me when I tell you that what we do is created out of passion.
    And no, NOT as simple as painting a door I'm afraid.
    You on about quality. Basically you're saying that: if we can't get our productions up to the quality of the US and Ausies, then what, we must not try, on our own steam and cost? (my sum up of your comments) Correct me if I'm wrong, but it takes a door painter more than several tries to become pro. Infact, even just to get the first coat right?
    You my friend, are asking more of the channels and contribute very little to 'us' actually getting there. Audio is one of the toughest principles to master in Video creation, but you wouldn't know that.
    Simply put, think differently about this topic . . .
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Crocker For This Useful Post:

Yes it is unfairly so.

You realize they are not painting your door? If you reckon the painting sucks don't tune in.

Personally I love the diversity of options with youtube channels. When I don't like the direction a channel is heading in I do this seriously unbelievable move and turn my TV off .... Crazy right!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Yes it is unfairly so.

Hi there everyone! Edward Bath here from EdwardBathOverlanding. Just wanted to jump in here and say thank you to everyone who supports our channels it really means a lot and we always love to hear constructive criticism on our videos in order to improve them. The fact is unfortunately we do all of this at our own cost and by ourselves, we donít have a camera crew and thousands of rands to spend on expensive camera gear. So if a shot isnít perfect or the audio isnít 100 percent clear maybe just think about the fact that there isnít anyone out there helping us to make sure that everything is perfect. Itís our passion to go out there and show everyone the amazing places we are fortunate enough to visit and we do our best to find the perfect shot and edit the video to the best of our ability when we get back. We do all of this at our own cost and are not paid to create these films so I wouldnít really expect a professional film for free but in any case I think most of us are doing alright in terms of quality and things are just getting better and better with each video. Anyways thanks to everyone for the support and to those who offer criticism in a polite and constructive way we really appreciate it.

Cheers
    Edward Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Lets Get Lost South Africa - Trails/Touring/Camping in a 4x2. Magic Oke, much respect. He just gets out and does stuff in his 4x2 (Forum Member)
    Got that mixed up a bit Sean.

Diff-lock Warrior is the 4x2 oke.

Let's Get Lost has some proper kitted 4x4s.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

33. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast