ASPW's latest build in Oz - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: ASPW's latest build in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by samkoch View Post
    I was just thinking...imagine if Andrew's daughter marries a Janse van Rensberg. Since he has no sons...would his daughter be Ms Saint Pierre White Janse van Rensberg? My v#$k Marelise!!!!
    Mrs

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the correction!!! Indeed Mrs.!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4CIwmttThM

His latest video on tour. Watched it early morning after my cycle.

I have to admit, and although I still don't think his latest build is The Ultimate touring rig, I am super jealous, not just for the Cruiser, his life as he portrays it in his videos, the opportunities presented to him, the film making, photography. Man I can see myself in a similar scenario. Ok, he has worked hard at it and for decades, but still.....

Imagine we in our beloved and most stunning country can tour and wild camp with the same safety levels.

I am green this morning
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Btw what tires did he move to from BFGS?

Quote Originally Posted by Bundutrailer View Post
    Btw what tires did he move to from BFGS?
    Latest build is on Falken.

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4CIwmttThM

Imagine we in our beloved and most stunning country can tour and wild camp with the same safety levels.

I am green this morning
    I agree, watching some of those videos...it does trigger envy.

My only reservation on the Oz overlanding scene is that, coming from Africa, I would miss the wildlife.

I find those remote outback areas a bit dead compared to the African bush that I am used to, although this is from a purely 'video' perspective as I have never been to Oz.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post

My only reservation on the Oz overlanding scene is that, coming from Africa, I would miss the wildlife.
    Thats exactly the same for me too. As much as it must be completely amazing to 'wild' camp like that wherever you want, what do you do once youve setup camp? Theres no animals coming down to the water hole, no spoor to investigate and track, just nothing. How boring.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Thats exactly the same for me too. As much as it must be completely amazing to 'wild' camp like that wherever you want, what do you do once youve setup camp? Theres no animals coming down to the water hole, no spoor to investigate and track, just nothing. How boring.
    No lion, cheetah, leopard and elephant.

However - Australia has more than 800 species of birds. Plenty of these are in the parrot / parakeet family. As we often regard these as pets, we don't really see it as wild life. So it buggers up one's mindset a tad. Well mine anyway - since I used to breed some of them.

Landscapes are truly beautiful - but ya - there is no place like Africa.
    ZS1ETphonehome

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

... no spoor to investigate and track, just nothing. How boring.
    Especially with kids, getting up in the morning and checking spoors for what animals were around at night while munching on breakfast...it's part of the ritual.

Europe also has some amazing scenery ( Wales and Scotland have some great spots for camping) but it's always that bit too safe and quiet if you are used to Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I agree, watching some of those videos...it does trigger envy.

I find those remote outback areas a bit dead compared to the African bush that I am used to, although this is from a purely 'video' perspective as I have never been to Oz.
    I lived there for a couple of years and bushwalked extensively . I agree despite the bird species it is very quiet in the bush . Depending on where you are you can travel very far to find mountains too . But what drove me insane were the flies . On a beach one day i was trailed by a cone of flies about 30 metres long and half a metre wide . But what makes up for all of that is the diversity in terrain in terms of jungle, rivers, lakes , deserts and beaches you can drive on etc . And the ozzies are the funniest and friendliest bar none .
    Last edited by MartinClem; 2020/09/25 at 10:55 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinClem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post

However - Australia has more than 800 species of birds.
    Now thats very interesting. I see South africa has ~850. compared to Australia's 828. I never would have thought Australia had almost as many as us!
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Now thats very interesting. I see South africa has ~850. compared to Australia's 828. I never would have thought Australia had almost as many as us!
    SA has closer to 1000 species by now. In fact - 989 according to the latest Sasol bird app (July 2020) But there are the odd migrant that shouldn't be here, that is here etc.

It will be the same for Oz - and that count excludes the islands and NZ.
    ZS1ETphonehome

No different when you are camping in the Western Cape. One has to drive 9 hours from CPT to camp among wild animals. I miss the game reserves around Gauteng.
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2009 Toyota Prado 150 VX (202kw)
    OL Front bumper | Snorkel | OME Suspension

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4 Comfort line

Ex 2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw) | TD Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper | Air Helpers | Snorkel | FR Roofrack
    Ex 1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw) |Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | FR Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Rear Bumper
    Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I can identify with that sentiment although purely from a personal level. FB has become far too toxic for my liking and the emotions stirred up by this pandemic has exacerbated the personal attacks to the point that it is no longer a place I visit. Interesting point about this thread is how few comments are about the build and mostly about the person
    Nailed it
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2009 Toyota Prado 150 VX (202kw)
    OL Front bumper | Snorkel | OME Suspension

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4 Comfort line

Ex 2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw) | TD Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper | Air Helpers | Snorkel | FR Roofrack
    Ex 1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw) |Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | FR Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Rear Bumper
    Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AceVentura For This Useful Post:

Surprised that this thread has turned personal towards ASPW. My original post was meant to bring attention to the build itself and not the person. I have watched so many of his videos because he is a great story teller with great stories to tell.

Regarding this build specifically which was the aim of my first post:
    1. He took a fantastic overland vehicle and turned it into a struggling behomoth that got stuck in sand twice (maybe on purpose, I can't be sure).
    2. The camper is impractical and basically a 2 man roof top tent with a small living area. The storage space under the bed is less useful than the canopy under a RTT would be.
    3. His wife struggles to reach things she needs!
    4. And finally, he doesn't seem to have learned Australian bush etiquette like not to camp on private land without permission, what crocodile tracks look like and how it is never a good idea to camp in a river bed as dry as it might be.

He obviously has a different audience now that he is based in Perth but this seems too much even for the Aussies. With the amount of money, his camper would cost to build, it doesn't seem to be a worthwhile way to spend money, even if it isn't yours.

Regards,
    Last edited by FatHuey; 2020/09/27 at 07:11 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

I'm also not too keen on his latest build, but I have no doubt he will do something about the dynamics of the car and try to fix some of those issues. He wants to use this for longer trips when the Australian state borders open up again so he will need to deal with that.

As a person, I have no issue with the guy from what I can see on videos. He is honest, straightforward, and has more experience overlanding than I have being alive, so there is a lot I can learn from him.

Being younger, I do prefer Ronny Dahl's more laidback attitude and presentation style, but I think he would drive me insane if I did a trip with him (constantly getting himself horribly stuck and then arriving at camp after midnight, etc). Horses for courses and I am just glad we have both of these channels (and others) to enjoy when we can't be out in the bush ourselves...

Just don't get me started on "bladskud Andre" and that Safari program he presents... Interesting destinations, etc, but the presentation style is cringeworthy to the extent that I can't watch it.
    Last edited by Lou07; 2020/09/29 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    No lion, cheetah, leopard and elephant.

Landscapes are truly beautiful - but ya - there is no place like Africa.

I don't get the pre-occupation with the Big 5. You see one, you've seen them all. Most of them just stand around or lie around and do nothing. Some of them kill something once a week. They might even shag. Whoopeee, call the Youtube Brigade.

I'd much rather see awesome landscapes than watch an ellie defecate or a lion sleep.

And then some say: "You can't swop the smells of Africa, the smell of rain on a dusty veld". So other countries have no rain, no dust, and no bush?

Nee wat mense. Get over it.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I don't get the pre-occupation with the Big 5. You see one, you've seen them all. Most of them just stand around or lie around and do nothing. Some of them kill something once a week. They might even shag. Whoopeee, call the Youtube Brigade.

I'd much rather see awesome landscapes than watch an ellie defecate or a lion sleep.

And then some say: "You can't swop the smells of Africa, the smell of rain on a dusty veld". So other countries have no rain, no dust, and no bush?

You are an enigma Jakes

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    You are an enigma Jakes
    wrapped in a mystery inside a paradox
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Waking up in Rooiputs or Mpayathutlwa with a huge need for the toilet and a lion in your camp is likely to change your opinion on them.

Very few adrenaline rushes come close to being face to face with any of the big five outside the perceived safety of your vehicle. A mock charge even more so.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast