Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Toyota Motor can't make a Land Rover stop leaking Oil

Which simply means a Toyota badge in there is not stronger than Land Rover.

One Life. Live it.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Toyota Motor can't make a Land Rover stop leaking Oil

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Which simply means a Toyota badge in there is not stronger than Land Rover.

One Life. Live it.
    Maybe not, but it will last longer than the rest of the land rover
    2 A 2 Quit

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Burger View Post
    I will bugger up any LC in a day - Including the motor.

Would you like to donate yours for a demonstration?
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/04/14 at 08:46 PM.
    One Wife. Livid.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Any proof to backup your statement?

I have seen Landys taken abuse. More than any other vehicle would ever be able of taking. Camel trophy comes to mind.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

I will bugger up any LC in a day - Including the motor.

Would you like to donate yours for a demonstration?
    If there is a will there is a way, anybody can bugger up a vehicle in a day (including the motor), not exactly an achievement.
    2 A 2 Quit

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Burger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post

I have seen Landys taken abuse. More than any other vehicle would ever be able of taking. Camel trophy comes to mind.
    I would say my proof is in post#1, the original motor was replaced by a Toyota motor, how long the rest of the vehicle last, depends on the owner.

Yes I have also seen lots of vehicles taken abuse, and surprisingly land rover's was not the only one. What comes to mind is Peugeot's 504 in North Africa, Land Cruisers in Columbia or a Hilux that just won't die.
    2 A 2 Quit

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post

Well there will always be a land rover as the winner of the camel trophy, the organizers made sure of that by only allowing land rovers to enter. Dont know what it says about landy but it says something
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

If there is a will there is a way, anybody can bugger up a vehicle in a day (including the motor), not exactly an achievement.
    Then I cannot see any relevance in your statement that the Toyota motor will last longer than the rest of the Land Rover.

Many years ago - in 2006 - I was also brain washed that a Toyota Land Cruiser is supposed to be the ultimate reliable overland vehicle and I was looking to buy an 80 series with 4.2 Diesel.

Mind you, I went to look at 6 of them. 4 Normally aspirated, 2 with turbos.

ALL but one of them had kaput engines and ALL had less than 200 000 km on the clock.

The only one that ran like a swiss watch, was a normally aspirated one with over 300 000 km on the clock.

I doubt it was simply bad luck.

I do wonder though why I do not feel the need to lurk around in the Toyota section of this forum.
    One Wife. Livid.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

S wat julle wil oor watter een van LC of LR meer indestructible is, maar...

Ek sien baie meer ou LR as LC wat nog heel, op die pad, en op 4x4 trails rond ry.

Behalwe LR, is dit deesadae n uitsondering en wow moment om enige voertuig ouer as 1980 te sien ry. Ou Land rovers sien mens orals.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

15. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    S wat julle wil oor watter een van LC of LR meer indestructible is, maar...

Ek sien baie meer ou LR as LC wat nog heel, op die pad, en op 4x4 trails rond ry.

Behalwe LR, is dit deesadae n uitsondering en wow moment om enige voertuig ouer as 1980 te sien ry. Ou Land rovers sien mens orals.
    Is nogal waar. Die rede is natuurlik voor die hand liggend. Pre 1980 was roeswering maar swak op meeste voertuie, so baie voertuie het suiwer agv roes tot niet gegaan. Maar as jy baie olie oor yster gooi, roes hy nie sommer nie!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

That ToyMowta got parked for keeps!
    1995 110 Defender County "Ouboet"
    2013 2.5dci 4x2 Navara D/C LE auto "Witwolf"

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Is nogal waar. Die rede is natuurlik voor die hand liggend. Pre 1980 was roeswering maar swak op meeste voertuie, so baie voertuie het suiwer agv roes tot niet gegaan. Maar as jy baie olie oor yster gooi, roes hy nie sommer nie!
    Toyota, is vandag nog swak, hier by ons , is baie nuwe Hi Luxes, na 2 jaar roes hulle bo die windskerm, en as die eienaar kla daaroor by agente word vir hulle gese dit is neglect want hulle gebruik dit op die strand, my Land Rover word nou 16 jaar lank gebruik op strand vir boot lansering , en raai wat GEEN GEEN ROES
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Toyota, is vandag nog swak, hier by ons , is baie nuwe Hi Luxes, na 2 jaar roes hulle bo die windskerm, en as die eienaar kla daaroor by agente word vir hulle gese dit is neglect want hulle gebruik dit op die strand, my Land Rover word nou 16 jaar lank gebruik op strand vir boot lansering , en raai wat GEEN GEEN ROES
    Dis mos wat bedoel!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Wel my Cruiser dink hy is n Land Rover - lek olie uit die voorste diff. My hele driveway is vol olie

Hopenlik is dit net die plug
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

The aluminum body on the series models and the Defenders was always a big advantage at the coast .Yes the steel bits rust but coating the chassis with diesel and old engine oil (plus the natural LR oil from leaks...) helped preserve them.
    Before the beach ban the most popular beach vehicles were Land Rovers and Beach buggies in Northern KZN .
    Yes painting has improved dramatically over the years but steel bodies are still vulnerable at the coast .
    Most of the 80s LCs have rusted away because Toyota used to have a poor reputation for rust.I remember going for a job interview at one of the companies that did metal pressings for Toyota in the early 80s ,they also made the bins for Toyota bakkies.I was horrified how rusty the metal was before they dipped the whole thing in acid to remove the rust.Not a good start ! There was no such thing as E coating in those days ...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GollyJeep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GollyJeep View Post
    The aluminum body on the series models and the Defenders was always a big advantage at the coast .Yes the steel bits rust but coating the chassis with diesel and old engine oil (plus the natural LR oil from leaks...) helped preserve them.
    Before the beach ban the most popular beach vehicles were Land Rovers and Beach buggies in Northern KZN .
    Yes painting has improved dramatically over the years but steel bodies are still vulnerable at the coast .
    Most of the 80’s LC’s have rusted away because Toyota used to have a poor reputation for rust.I remember going for a job interview at one of the companies that did metal pressings for Toyota in the early 80’s ,they also made the bins for Toyota bakkies.I was horrified how rusty the metal was before they dipped the whole thing in acid to remove the rust.Not a good start ! There was no such thing as E coating in those days ...
    My father always believed that oil was a mechanics best friend, you can never apply too much oil to motor parts, should not be concerned that some leaks occur (unless it is clearly a fault issue) and that the best protection from rust is applied oil (or oil leaks). I trust the Land Rover engineers were not stupid when they allowed the chassis to remain bare metal. I am not a fan of coating a chassis post manufacture with a protective coating and then it rusts beneath this layer undetected. If you know you are in a harsh environment be extra vigilant and treat the vehicle more regularly with oil. My Defender oil leaks are just fine thank you very much!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topolino For This Useful Post:

Wel die Isuzu motor in my Landy ook nie! Hy lek olie saam met die steering box, gearbox en agter diff. Die dag wat dit ophou lek top ek net weer op.
    Die pavers in die driveway kan ek amper gebruik as fire lighters.
    Darm is alles net seels wat lek. Miskien vervang ek hulle miskien nie, ek geniet dit om voor elke trip al die olies op te top en verras te word om te sien daar is nog oor na die trip.
    Olie lek if nie, if it makes you happy then you've got the right Badge.
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!

Then I cannot see any relevance in your statement that the Toyota motor will last longer than the rest of the Land Rover.

Many years ago - in 2006 - I was also brain washed that a Toyota Land Cruiser is supposed to be the ultimate reliable overland vehicle and I was looking to buy an 80 series with 4.2 Diesel.

Mind you, I went to look at 6 of them. 4 Normally aspirated, 2 with turbos.

ALL but one of them had kaput engines and ALL had less than 200 000 km on the clock.

The only one that ran like a swiss watch, was a normally aspirated one with over 300 000 km on the clock.

I doubt it was simply bad luck.

I do wonder though why I do not feel the need to lurk around in the Toyota section of this forum.
    Indeed, when you look at second hand, make sure your mechanic knows the vehicle and he has final say. My brother and I first looked at Patrols, nice ones for good price available, problem was they were all waiting for spares, drives better than 80 and overall nicer vehicle. Eventually looked at more than 15 cruisers both diesel and petrol and they were not well maintained and serviced. Eventually found one that was not to bad, had to replace radiator immediately. Bought at 175 000 km and now sitting at 470 000 km. Problems is every 250 000 the gasket on no 1 cylinder goes and you replace it, had mine done at 310 000km. Radiator is weak point on 4.5 as every few hundred thousand it goes, apparently it is plastic. I think I am now on third, at least decent enough to warn you. Why Toyota, well spares are all over in Africa and if not in stock not more than two days away. Cheap, replaced rear brake pads in Rwanda at total cost of R800.00. Mechanic proudly came to me and showed me"genuine Toyota" and he was right. Never mind wat you tube mechanics say, you put Toyota in Toyota and it will last. In terms of soul, yes the Land Rover wins, still many 130 to be found in Arusha in Tanzania and they seem to do ok. I suppose at end of day everything has limited life and at end of day it comes to what you want. I have had many offers lately for my 80, the reason being that the ones on sale are often not in good condition and the problems start after you bought it. Never accept that a Toyota does not break, make sure it was serviced often and was driven regularly. It might be a lemon if it has low mileage.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan H For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast