Default Renault Duster clutch

Hi there

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2016 Duster 1.5Dci with 77000km.

The vehicle has been driving perfectly, but I did a bit of traffic driving yesterday and i had a bit of clutch shudder.

Has anyone with a Duster had this issue before? What did it cost to replace the clutch? I assume it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

Any ideas or info would be helpful.

Also, I'm wondering if it's worth getting an extended warranty for the car next year (warranty ends in Feb 2021). Or should rather let it end and have a good mechanic service and repair the vehicle when the need arises?

The car is used for town driving with the odd dirt road here and there.

Cheers
    Luke

Default Re: Renault Duster clutch

77k is "normal" for a clutch replacement these days, so they won't cover it. Leave the extended warranty, the Duster should be cheap enough to fix a few times before reaching the expense of an extended warranty. I always see them as a waste of money anyway. Especially at 77k km, you shouldn't encounter too many issues. Get the clutch replaced by a good mechanic, get a couple of quotes, the prices are often insanely different depending on who you ask. The dealerships will likely be the most expensive, but ask for a quote anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

I doubt that your clutch is going. If it isnít slipping then itís fine.

If yours is the 4WD then remember that your 1st gear is geared very low compared to a regular 1st gear. So just using slightly more throttle input when pulling away solves that problem. Personally, I never used 1st gear in traffic, unless to crawl. I pull away in 2nd.

As far as service costs go, youíd be better servicing it at the dealer because their costs are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    77k is "normal" for a clutch replacement these days, so they won't cover it. Leave the extended warranty, the Duster should be cheap enough to fix a few times before reaching the expense of an extended warranty. I always see them as a waste of money anyway. Especially at 77k km, you shouldn't encounter too many issues. Get the clutch replaced by a good mechanic, get a couple of quotes, the prices are often insanely different depending on who you ask. The dealerships will likely be the most expensive, but ask for a quote anyway.
    I honestly hope I don't have to replace the clutch, since I just bought the vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    I doubt that your clutch is going. If it isnít slipping then itís fine.

If yours is the 4WD then remember that your 1st gear is geared very low compared to a regular 1st gear. So just using slightly more throttle input when pulling away solves that problem. Personally, I never used 1st gear in traffic, unless to crawl. I pull away in 2nd.

As far as service costs go, youíd be better servicing it at the dealer because their costs are good.
    I bought the 4x2 Duster.

If we don't renew the warranty, we'll definitely get the vehicle serviced elsewhere. Fortunately, I know a few very good mechanics in town.

Discuss this with the dealership that sold the vehicle, as this could very well fall under the CPA as a pre-existing issue.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Discuss this with the dealership that sold the vehicle, as this could very well fall under the CPA as a pre-existing issue.
    How long do I have before they are not liable?
    As far as I know, it's 21 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyer View Post
    How long do I have before they are not liable?
    As far as I know, it's 21 days?
    3 years

What can a consumer do if a supplier fails to comply with the Consumer Protection Act?
    A consumer must lodge a complaint with the supplier, preferably in writing. If the complaint is lodged by telephone, ask for an e-mail address in order to confirm the conversation about the complaint in writing. Normally, a big business has a department that specifically deals with complaints, it is best to follow the procedure prescribed by that department.
    Before complaining to the supplier, the consumer must know how s/he wants the complaint to be resolved, for example, repairing or exchanging the item bought, by refund or being paid damages. Make copies of all the documents in support of the complaint, for example, a tax invoice, quotes, e-mails and so on.
    Keep records of the date of the complaint, name of the consultant complained to, the reference number of the complaint, and any other relevant details.
    Follow up on the complaint.
    If the complaint is not resolved by the supplier within a reasonable time period, the consumer may lodge a complaint, with the relevant ombud, industry ombud, Consumer Goods and Service Ombud, National Consumer Commission, National Consumer Tribunal, an alternative dispute resolution agent, consumer court or civil court; depending on the type of complaint.
    A complaint must be lodged within 3 years of it occurring. Only a civil court can make an award for damages.

I'm no lawyer, but the act says this:

Implied warranty of quality
    The Act provides for an implied warranty of quality. In terms of this warranty the producer/importer, distributor and retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards outlined in the Act.

The right to redress
    Consumers must receive a fair settlement of just claims, including compensation for misrepresentation, or shabby goods or services.

https://www.westerncape.gov.za/gener...protection-act

https://www.legalwise.co.za/help-you...ection-act-cpa
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

More info:

https://www.legaladviceoffice.co.za/...-motor-vehicle

The basic clause here is that the dealer must either repair, replace or refund at the dealerís expense.

The fact that they sold the vehicle with a warranty and a roadworthy implies that they claim the vehicle was in a perfect mechanical condition.

"Sec 55 Right to safe and good quality goods

- Supplied goods must be able do what they are designed for
    - Be of good quality and free of defects and in working order
    - Be durable and useable for a reasonable time period
    - Comply with the applicable standards or public regulations

It is irrelevant whether the defect was obvious or hidden or whether the consumer should have detected it before delivery."

https://www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/how-we-can-help/
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    More info:

https://www.legaladviceoffice.co.za/...-motor-vehicle

The basic clause here is that the dealer must either repair, replace or refund at the dealerís expense.

The fact that they sold the vehicle with a warranty and a roadworthy implies that they claim the vehicle was in a perfect mechanical condition.

"Sec 55 Right to safe and good quality goods

- Supplied goods must be able do what they are designed for
    - Be of good quality and free of defects and in working order
    - Be durable and useable for a reasonable time period
    - Comply with the applicable standards or public regulations

It is irrelevant whether the defect was obvious or hidden or whether the consumer should have detected it before delivery."

https://www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/how-we-can-help/
    Thank you very much. This helps a lot.

Hi there

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2016 Duster 1.5Dci with 77000km.

The vehicle has been driving perfectly, but I did a bit of traffic driving yesterday and i had a bit of clutch shudder.
    Cheers
    Luke
    Hi Luke

It's probably that the fluid has never been replaced. Replacing the fluid is much cheaper than replacing a clutch. On our vehicle, the clutch and brakes share the same reservoir. Brake fluid contains glycol which is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and is miscible (forms homogenous mixture). When the percentage of water in the mixture reaches 3%, air bubbles will form at the callipers where the water vaporises from the heat. The system gains about 1% of water every six months (between 1.5% and 3% per year). Each 1% of water drops the boiling point about 39 degrees F for our Dot 4.

Bleeding the brake lines is easy as it is done in the conventional way. However, I have not figured out the two clip method for bleeding our clutch line. Let me know how it's done.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    Hi Luke

It's probably that the fluid has never been replaced. Replacing the fluid is much cheaper than replacing a clutch. On our vehicle, the clutch and brakes share the same reservoir. Brake fluid contains glycol which is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and is miscible (forms homogenous mixture). When the percentage of water in the mixture reaches 3%, air bubbles will form at the callipers where the water vaporises from the heat. The system gains about 1% of water every six months (between 1.5% and 3% per year). Each 1% of water drops the boiling point about 39 degrees F for our Dot 4.

Bleeding the brake lines is easy as it is done in the conventional way. However, I have not figured out the two clip method for bleeding our clutch line. Let me know how it's done.
    Thanks very much. First time I've heard of a vehicle sharing the same reservoir for two completely different parts.

Will take a look.

Thanks very much. First time I've heard of a vehicle sharing the same reservoir for two completely different parts.

Will take a look.
    Did you ever get this sorted out? My clutch also tends to shudder after a bit of driving, even if i wasn't crawling in traffic.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Hi there. I eventually found it was the dual mass flywheel and clutch that needed replacing. Did it all for R15kish.

Bought the parts at Alert (Valeo Kit)

Had the work done at a local clutch and brake place. All good now. It was done at 85 000km and the original parts were still in. The original was a LuK flywheel and clutch with Valeo concentric slave cylinder.
    Last edited by Lowflyer; 2021/10/19 at 03:18 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowflyer For This Useful Post:

Just did exactly the same on my Duster. It was shuddering from about 140k but now at 215k the concentric slave cylinder started leaking fluid so I decided to replace the slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel in one go. It cost 17k in total from Centurion Brake and Clutch. I spoke to the mechanics there and they also confirmed that it is the dual mass flywheel. It is designed to absorb some of the engine vibrations but over time it wears too much, gets play and you get the clutch shudder. Seems like a Duster design fault.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theo Bos For This Useful Post:

Wife, s duster 2014 model 49k on clock.
    The shudder started almost from day 1. Service manager just said it is not covered by warrantee.
    We just live with it till it dies. Just slip the clutch on take off. Sooths the nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Bos View Post
    Just did exactly the same on my Duster. It was shuddering from about 140k but now at 215k the concentric slave cylinder started leaking fluid so I decided to replace the slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel in one go. It cost 17k in total from Centurion Brake and Clutch. I spoke to the mechanics there and they also confirmed that it is the dual mass flywheel. It is designed to absorb some of the engine vibrations but over time it wears too much, gets play and you get the clutch shudder. Seems like a Duster design fault.
    This is exactly why I'm looking to replace with a single mass flywheel. I can handle some vibrations, but not shudder. It makes sense to me that springs in a hot environment will stretch over time and not do their job properly thereafter.

On other vehicles, I've replaced or had to replace the engine mounts. Going with harder mounts increases vibrations, but they last longer and transfer power more quickly to the tyres instead of wasting motion / friction.

Back to clutches:
    On race machines or even just higher HP OEM machines, they use a single mass clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Wife, s duster 2014 model 49k on clock.
    The shudder started almost from day 1. Service manager just said it is not covered by warrantee.
    We just live with it till it dies. Just slip the clutch on take off. Sooths the nerves.
    I've seen reports of replacing Duster clutches anywhere from 23k to 90k. The longevity seems to depend upon how the clutch is used - lots of hills, lots of robots, etc.

Most vehicle brands consider clutches to be non-warranty, consumable items, like tyres, batteries, etc.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    This is exactly why I'm looking to replace with a single mass flywheel. I can handle some vibrations, but not shudder. It makes sense to me that springs in a hot environment will stretch over time and not do their job properly thereafter.

On other vehicles, I've replaced or had to replace the engine mounts. Going with harder mounts increases vibrations, but they last longer and transfer power more quickly to the tyres instead of wasting motion / friction.

Back to clutches:
    On race machines or even just higher HP OEM machines, they use a single mass clutch.
    Hi Butch

I was reading through this thread again and saw this post by you. I received an email from LMB around the time I replaced my dual mass flywheel. They said they had just manufactured a few sets of single mass flywheels and clutches for the Duster.

Email attached. Name:  Screenshot_20211118_002902_com.google.android.gm.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  127.4 KB

Thanks for the update. So, they have finally produced a few sets.