Namibia re-opens to international tourists 1 Sept - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Namibia re-opens to international tourists 1 Sept

I think the bureaucrats pose a bigger risk than COVID.

Inconsistent interpretation, last minute rule changes, etc..., while this situation normalizes. When "special things" are required - such as negative COVID-19 PCR test results, there is plenty of room for all kinds of mularkey regarding interpretation of rules, "on the spot" legislating, etc... I'd be more worried about that and the subsequent nuttiness than the risk of catching COVID, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Except that nobody is operating flights direct. Right now, she'd need to go via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian... Not exactly direct.

Air Namibia may resume at some point. SAA and COMAIR (BA) are not operating.
    Looks like Airlink will start operations as from October 5th.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Looks like Airlink will start operations as from October 5th.

Westair may have some flights (from Cape Town) - I am waiting on details... Thanks for the info on Airlink.

Had a very interesting discussion with one of the prominent lawyers in Namibia.

Apparently, the new healthcare act was enacted yesterday. Under this act, the healthcare minister can declare a state of healthcare emergency which gives him the same power as what the president had under State of Emergency.

So just watch this space.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Hoop net hy hou ons oop,want ek wil kavango to ry, alreeds in Maart betaal. Riverdance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Also, Covid is no reason to not travel. Life is short, something will kill you. Might as well enjoy life
    Also no need to take unnecessary risks purely for a holiday.

All im saying is maybe its a good idea not to rush the borders, let it calm down abit, if theres a spike in Covid infections nothing stops the borders from closing again and then you are stuck in a foreign country, it was a massive problem for expats getting back home during the lockdown.

Its not about " not enjoying life because of Covid" its taking a step back and letting the world settle abit post Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    See attached. Problem is yes if you are tested positive. Other problem is how does the test get done? It is at least a step in the right direction, but still too many questions. Also for overseas visitors we are still off the books as we are still on the high risk list, so most of them have to do a 14 day quarantine when they return home. Holding thumbs though
    The US Sate Dept. website for Namibia was, unusually, helpful. Testing can be done at the Pathcare labs, locations throughout Namibia. I emailed them and they sent me the flyer below. I've responded to ask what current turnaround times are for tests.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CalDriver; 2020/09/18 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correct typo!
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Testing can be done at the Pathways labs, locations throughout Namibia.
    Caldriver, the lab you refer to are PATHCARE. They are a large and very professional South African company with branches throughout South Africa. I had used them regularly in the past.

I would think that if bloods taken in a larger center such as Windhoek early morning, you should have the result within 24 hours. In a smaller center they would have to be transported and perhaps expect 48 hours. I will be interested in their response to your query.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Caldriver, the lab you refer to are PATHCARE. They are a large and very professional South African company with branches throughout South Africa. I had used them regularly in the past.

I would think that if bloods taken in a larger center such as Windhoek early morning, you should have the result within 24 hours. In a smaller center they would have to be transported and perhaps expect 48 hours. I will be interested in their response to your query.
    Ah, yes, you are of course correct! Fixed.

Very good to hear they are a professional outfit. I will report back when I hear from them. Good point about Windhoek, but that doesn't dovetail well with the 5-7 day rule in Namibia currently. I suppose one could go off to a destination (say Etosha) for 5 days, then revert back to Windhoek, wait for results at Urban Camp and then be off after that? Or maybe something like that. Just trying to think through the practicalities.

Oom Stan, as always the voice of reason

Pathcare has proven themselves in this time. We have received blood test as quick as 12 hours!!! Even with the covid backlog, normal test turned around in leas than 6 hours.

So I suspect, if you present yourself at Pathcare for a covid test at your own cost, you will have a result within 24 hours
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

At lady pohamba hospital you are not allowed to enter the building.
    NHP medical have their mobile clinic available outside. So you have to pay cash and then claim from your
    medaid. But if you get preapproval for the test it is easier.
    If you have to be admitted to LP Hospital you must have a test done prior.
    Friend of mine his wife had her results within 12 hours.

PATHCARE responded to me, test results in 24-72 hours. Perhaps you're right that the turn around time is related to the distance from the main lab/s.

For tourists that turnaround time does seem like it'll work with the government's 'test at day 5, released on day 7' program. For the most part. It'll be interesting to see how tourist numbers are in these early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    The US Sate Dept. website for Namibia was, unusually, helpful. Testing can be done at the Pathcare labs, locations throughout Namibia. I emailed them and they sent me the flyer below. I've responded to ask what current turnaround times are for tests.
    I hear what you are saying, the 6 locations are better than expected though actually.
    There is just still quite a bit of confusion as to how the whole thing will work, and how to plan your holiday around the whole thing.

Can you have the test done and then send the results to the relative GRN authority?
    Will the GRN insist on testing the travelers themselves, if so, how and where?
    Then you have to have another test done before your departure, hoping that you get the results in time to catch your flight.

And then the obvious question which is actually the main threat, what happens if you test positive...

but lets wait and see if there are any changes in the new regulations which we will hopefully be getting soon. At least there is movement in the right direction.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    I hear what you are saying, the 6 locations are better than expected though actually.
    There is just still quite a bit of confusion as to how the whole thing will work, and how to plan your holiday around the whole thing.

Can you have the test done and then send the results to the relative GRN authority?
    Will the GRN insist on testing the travelers themselves, if so, how and where?
    Then you have to have another test done before your departure, hoping that you get the results in time to catch your flight.

And then the obvious question which is actually the main threat, what happens if you test positive...

but lets wait and see if there are any changes in the new regulations which we will hopefully be getting soon. At least there is movement in the right direction.
    I agree, but clearer than before. According to the US State Department (not entirely reliable...but it's what we've got ) "U.S. citizens can obtain a COVID-19 test in Namibia from the private laboratory PathCare..." which implies that is the test required on day 5. Not an assurance I suppose, but maybe. Full info here:
    https://na.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I was looking for the German's version of that, thinking that with their closer ties they might have more detailed info, but I haven't found it.

Why the test done before departure?

And yes...of course there is that thing about trying not to catch it! I have been in a philosophical quandary. I am fairly desperate to travel again, but also don't want to a)get COVID and b) contribute to rising case numbers and/or risk to others. On the other hand, if traveling from a place with similar per capita numbers, is that contributing to risk? Being on the airplane with 100-200 others that have all had recent PCR tests and are masked actually seems like reasonable risk to me. Hmm...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

the airlines require a negative test, basically same as when you fly in.

I heard today that the day 5 test may no longer apply, but just something I heard, nothing concrete. Hopefully an official release soon. At the moment any info that does not have the Nam Grn stamp on I don't take it too seriously.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

For all those who are following this and have a better understanding, What are the chances as it currently stands to do a road trip from SA to Nam in December?

Will all land borders be open or only selected ones? Will SA land borders be open?

We have posponed our trip and already made 2 date changes to try get our trip possible. We are now starting to fear that we might have lost all deposits and in some places full payment as the establishments no longer want to change dates or refund us.
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser
    Land Cruiser VDJ 71
    2020 LC 200 GXR
    2020 LC FJ

Quote Originally Posted by geoff norton View Post
    For all those who are following this and have a better understanding, What are the chances as it currently stands to do a road trip from SA to Nam in December?

Will all land borders be open or only selected ones? Will SA land borders be open?

We have posponed our trip and already made 2 date changes to try get our trip possible. We are now starting to fear that we might have lost all deposits and in some places full payment as the establishments no longer want to change dates or refund us.

I'd think anybody would be just guessing at this point. If I were to guess, I would guess:

- Yes, via the 18 borders that were open previously for freight.

130 tourists arrived yesterday on HK Airport.
    Johan Kriel

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by geoff norton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    130 tourists arrived yesterday on HK Airport.
    I really hope this does not go the way the UK went, they also travelled and allowed travel over June July and August summer holidays

Now they are entering a second wave.

We have been lagging europes trend by two to 3 months, so if worst case senario, we should prepare for a second wave to start December/ January
    Last edited by Karol; 2020/09/22 at 08:58 AM.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Friend of mines' sister was to fly in air namibia from ortambo to windhoek on 1october.
    Air Namibia cancelled the flight due to "covid". She has to speak to her travel agent
    What now, is the second wave here already

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast