Lessons learnt

Thread: Lessons learnt

Default Lessons learnt

Just come back from a trip into Moz, through Kosi border up to Zavora, back through Kruger...8 days.

We're novices, so most of these 'tips' might be obvious to the well travelled african explorer...but they might also help others travelling across into Moz for the first time etc.

In no particular order:
    -ZA sticker, 2 x triangles, reflective vest etc all required by law, but weren't checked at any stops.
    -Don't give the police a reason to arrest you (we found out the hard way).
    -Don't take pics anywhere near police/borders/military or naval buildings etc.
    -Keep your shirt on while travelling in main centres or built up areas.
    -Don't take the "constable's" details down!
    -Ensure your paperwork and licenses are 110%! Moz police don't readily accept copies of documents (even certified ones).
    -An international drivers license is well worth the time and effort...especially if your license has expired & you're on a temp.
    -Speed limits are to be adhered to...60kph at the 60kph sign, not 100m down the road!
    -Be wary of dogs and animals...you may be arrested for killing someone's dog etc (story from a well-travelled friend just after I missed a pooch that decided my bullbar looked like a good plaything...use it, don't use it).
    -Pay in Met's where possible...you'll save money! We got between 3.1 and 2.6 Mt's to the Rand (April '09).
    -It pays to know a bit of Portuguese.
    -Take GOOD bugspray...not only for the mozzies, but for other insect stings too (consider 'Anthisan' & 'Celestimine').
    -Carry extension cords and the power cables for your fridge and chargers etc...you might get power at a camp site that advertises none.
    -Strap everything down...some of those gravel roads are ROUGH (needless to say deflate tires for corrogated gravel)!
    -If there's access to a beach, consider taking a small inflatable boat; so you can drive on the sand - otherwise you're walking.
    -Take 'closed' water shoes for walking on rocks.
    -Weejons or Shewees (and wetwipes)...your wife will love you for them!
    -Don't rely on one particular fuel stop...there were a few fuel stops that either didn't have electricity, looked very small & dodgy, or were closed when we passed by. Suggest take an empty jerry just in case.

Will add to the list if anything comes to mind. Otherwise, enjoy!

*EDIT* Oh yes, almost forgot...those big bags of charcoal sold on the side of the roads: Buy one, the coal is awesome! worked out at about R30 for that big bag. The dry grass they stuff into the top of the bag is supposed to act as a fire starter
    Last edited by Maml; 2009/04/21 at 04:52 PM.
    Mike

Mike,

You have a PM.

Thanks

Do not keep more than R150:00 and metís in an wallet and keep all your cards eg.Edgars and bank cards in the same wallet. Arrange the money so that when you open it you can see the cash.
    If stopped and you had to pay a fine open that wallet and tell him that is all cash on you, holiday and all costs been paid by internet and you had to use an OTM to get cash.
    Try not to pay any bribes
    Keep cash hidden in different places in the car.
    DO NOT have any CDís that is copiesí of the original CD. That will get you extra problems. Use a I-Pot and USB memory stick system. No portable I-Pots in eye sight.
    Be plight and friendly and use only English and for the rest play dumb or keep an pocket dictionary by hand.
    If you fill up with fuel let the wife get the metís and not out the wallet.
    Do not bye any plants from the locals. It is illegal and you create an market for them to destroy nature.
    Do not feel sorry for them even when they beg for money. How will they survive when you gone?
    Keep all your papers in an bantex folder so that you can see all documents and do not give the file to them.
    If you are stop stay in the car with safety belt on (all persons in car) and keep the sandals on. Only get out when the person is at the car and stated why you was stop. Only the driver get out the car, not all. Do not use the sell phone.
    This is AFRICA have passions.
    Keep some one updated of all travelling and destinations. Bye a Mozambique Mcel or Vodacom card and use it in an old phone. At the end of a trip sell it or give it to some one as an gift.

Nico
    [email protected]

Thanks for the tips Mike. Are you going to post some pics?

Zackd4D Guest

Hi

We're leaving for Zavora in about 2 weeks time. First time to Moz.
    So how was Zavora, looks pretty nice on the website?
    Was the fishing ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre K-ZN View Post
    Thanks for the tips Mike. Are you going to post some pics?
    Yes, will update the Moz-trip thread I opened in the KZN section...

Quote Originally Posted by Zackd4D View Post
    We're leaving for Zavora in about 2 weeks time. First time to Moz. So how was Zavora, looks pretty nice on the website?
    Was the fishing ok?
    Hi Zack,

Zavora was great, rustic; but worthwhile. Toilets & showers worked fine, except the gas wasn't behaving; so had cold showers all round.
    Sites were good - assuming you can get a grassed one. There are 'thatched' rondavel type shelters for each camp area...nice to shelter from the sun/rain (?think they're called barakah's?).

Sea is clear & clean, and doesn't leave you sticky like on our shores. Snorkelling is great - but try for spring low, otherwise it's difficult getting to the nice big snorkelling pool at the end of the reef.
    Fishing wasn't great - no one caught anything while we were there - not even the locals.
    I would go back, but would spend more time there...long drive, so make the most of it.

(again) Suggest taking closed sandals or fin-booties for walking on rocks...and possibly diving gloves (barnicles etc are sharp!).
    Mike

Hey Mike, glad to have you back.

Why aren't you answering your cell?

Dave
    oh ate too ate oh won 7 for oh too

The lesson I'm learning from this is to stay out of Moz!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    The lesson I'm learning from this is to stay out of Moz!
    No Uys, wrong lesson. I have also just come back from Moz. Had the most amazing time, encountered the most amazing hospitality at every place we visited. Granted we not once had any of the experiences that Mike had. Our entry and exit at both border posts (Girriyondo and Kosi Bay) were quick and efficient. Not one encounter with a traffic official along the way. Was not stopped at a single control point. Will be going back again in the not to distant future. My experience would rate Moz. as a warm and friendly place to visit.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

I found that when you visit Moz, you go to placed that want you there, or the places that have never seen you.

Friendly destinations and remote destinations. The rest can hop sideways for all I care.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

We returned last w/e from 2 weeks in Tofo - absolutely stunning. Komatipoort (we paid a person) was a breeze, stayed over at honeypot, fine except no fridge in our house. Played in the sea, dived, rode quads, enjoyed one or two 2M - came back one trip, again border no problem even though we did it all ourselves.
    This was our 2nd trip up that beautiful part of the world, stayed 2 weeks in zavora Christmas 2007. We have never been stopped by cops - maybe having the red triangle on the nose of the landy helps.
    But, each time we came back, it has cost us a new fuel pump
    We bought as little diesel in moz as possible, and filled up in Nelspruit. Possible dirty diesel in moz, and definitely dodgy diesel in Nelspruit. Had to drain the tank and it is a murky grey colour. Am considering contacting the fuel company concerned.
    Next time, and we definitely will go again, we will take our own fuel, or an empty container and strain it.
    Tar Roads - Another example of Government's wasteful spending.
    2001 Disco XS Manual - Minky
    DL1000 V-Strom
    DS650 - Borat - sold
    DS650X - Boris

Moz sure does have its challenges. I have been keeping close to the issue of the "famous" cops (EN1 crew) and it seems that in recent times you dont hear of as many instances whereby the cops have been unecessary with the travelers.
    For a while I really got upset at the fact that a few corrupt officials can ruin it for everyone to the point that I avoided Moz like the plaque.
    Moz has so much to offer and I believe the government have climbed in and are really making a a stance against the "EN1" crew which is good for us. So much so, that I return again in 2 months to the INhambane province.

On the Diesel issue raised Kirsty - 2 things
    1) for sure you must contact the chemical company. They need to know whats happeninng out there in order to rectify this.
    2) have a look for the Diesel-Sure test kit. It is FABULOUS. A Compact design that fits into your clove compartment that will ensure you can test your Deisel with a few drops before putting it into your tank.
    It was developed by a fellow traveller (an engineer I think) who after a trip from Lesotho when he encountered bad fuel had to repair (at a cost) the damage caused.
    It is a life saver. I just got mine from the car and looked at the packaging for a number. 083 350-0792 (sorry no name) call them an get one FAST, before your next trip.
    For a couple of bucks (I think I paid R120 a few years back) it gives you peace of mind and can save you from a very unpleasant experience, especially while out of the country.

300 Tdi 90" 8) mmmm
    Disco 4

Default moz cops

Hi all, just spent a week at Praia de Barra. All went well with none of the problems mentioned above. Cops at almost every village, but you shouldn't go faster than 60 through there anyway, it is not safe with all the people around.
    One tip we got from a local: they have an anti corruption line (I did not get the number), called the 'green line'. I was stopped for speeding, but was definitely not. I firmly told the officer that and that I could prove it with my GPS. I then said if he was going to continue claiming I had been speeding then I'd call the green line. He quickly let me go. However I have been warned that if you were actually speeding then don't do this, you'll find yourself in trouble.
    Toyota Prado;
    Isuzu 3 litre diesel doublecab