Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bush Lapa buying advice

I am seriously considering buying a Bush Lapa, I am used to camping in a ground tent but with old age creeping up on me I would like a bit more comfort.

I would like to get to a stage where the caravan is always packed and ready so that I can basically load food and go away with minimal packing and organizing.

It will be used mostly by 2 adults, would be nice to have extra sleeping space for a friend occasionally, but not a requirement.
    I was looking at a Boskriek originally, but have been doing a bit of research and thinking…

So here are my “problems”:

1. I am fairly tall, 1.86m. The rear door on the Gogga range is quite low, so I have to bend down quite a bit to get in and out. If I lie on the bed my feet hang off the end, and if I sit up in the bed my head touches the roof of the tent part. If I shuffle forward to get off the bed my head touches the metal part of the roof. My head just about touches the rear door handle when it is open, and it touched the bushwing awning roof poles of the one set up in their showroom. The caravan roof that only opens to the one side also brushes against my head when I walk inside. They can supply me with a longer matrass, it will just make the standing space inside even smaller. I’m sure bigger wheels will help with the outside height problem. What I do like is the small and lightweight size.
    2. I get up 2 or 3 times in the night to go to the bathroom. If you sleep with just the mosquito net closed it is easy to get in and out. If it is cold and you want to sleep with the door closed, I think it might be a bit of a hassle to open and close the horizontally split rear door, keeping the support chains out of the way etc. And no space for a porta potty inside.
    3. The last thing I am wondering about is the geyser in the right front. To use the geyser the door must obviously stand open. When it rains or at night for instance, you either don’t have hot water, or the door must just stand open all the time? This is just my OCD and probably not a problem.

If I go up to the Baobab it solves all the “problems” I have with the Gogga, with the disadvantage of price, size and weight. I like off the beaten track camp sites, but hardly ever go to places where you really need a 4x4 to access the camp site, so I don’t think the size of the Baobab will be that much off an issue? I will be towing with my trusted old 2700i IFS Hilux.

I was wonder what other tallish people have experienced? Do you live with the shortcomings of the Gogga range or does it become irritating once the excitement of the new toy has worn off?
    Is a Gogga just to small for tall people or can one make some changes to live with it?
    Last edited by BlueRocket; 2020/08/19 at 02:53 PM.

Default Re: Bush Lapa buying advice

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocket View Post
    I am seriously considering buying a Bush Lapa, I am used to camping in a ground tent but with old age creeping up on me I would like a bit more comfort.

I would like to get to a stage where the caravan is always packed and ready so that I can basically load food and go away with minimal packing and organizing.

It will be used mostly by 2 adults, would be nice to have extra sleeping space for a friend occasionally, but not a requirement.
    I was looking at a Boskriek originally, but have been doing a bit of research and thinking…

So here are my “problems”:

1. I am fairly tall, 1.86m. The rear door on the Gogga range in quite low, so I have to bend down quite a bit to get in and out. If I lie on the bed my feet hang off the end, and if I sit up in the bed my head touches the roof of the tent part. If I shuffle forward to get off the bed my head touches the metal part of the roof. My head just about touches the rear door handle when it is open, and it touched the bushwing awning roof poles of the one set up in their showroom. The caravan roof that only opens to the one side also brushes against my head when I walk inside. They can supply me with a longer matrass, it will just make the standing space inside even smaller. I’m sure bigger wheels will help with the outside height problem. What I do like is the small and lightweight size.
    2. I get up 2 or 3 times in the night to go to the bathroom. If you sleep with just the mosquito net closed it is easy to get in and out. If it is cold and you want to sleep with the door closed, I think it might be a bit of a hassle to open and close the horizontally split rear door, keeping the support chains out of the way etc. And no space for a porta potty inside.
    3. The last thing I am wondering about is the geyser in the right front. To use the geyser the door must obviously stand open. When it rains or at night for instance, you either don’t have hot water, or the door must just stand open all the time? This is just my OCD and probably not a problem.

If I go up to the Baobab it solves all the “problems” I have with the Gogga, with the disadvantage of price, size and weight. I like off the beaten track camp sites, but hardly ever go to places where you really need a 4x4 to access the camp site, so I don’t think the size of the Baobab will be that much off an issue? I will be towing with my trusted old 2700i IFS Hilux.

I was wonder what other tallish people have experienced? Do you live with the shortcomings of the Gogga range or does it become irritating once the excitement of the new toy has worn off?
    Is a Gogga just to small for tall people or can one make some changes to live with it?
    The Kewer and Miskruier both have pop up roofs now. The front bed no longer has the beam across so bumping head problem solved.
    It is not a mission to open the door at night.
    I have canvas cover made by alloutdoors for the geyser compartment door to prevent rain etc. getting in and a geyser stainless cover that fits over the geyser so can be used in rain.

The Baobab 3 is great and suits a lot of people. However it is not as easy to move around, tow etc. You can pack a lot mote into it though. The Gogga tows much easier.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Firstly, 40 is not creeping up on old age.

The rear door is smallish, but not really a train smash. I'm 1.85 and no problem for me. We only close the canvas door at night. The goggas are designed to be as small as possible with purely sleeping and packing inside. The Baobab etc offers more space inside, but yes at size and weight disadvantage.

It boils down to your style of camping. 3 Weeks December holidays will be better with a Baobab, but offroad touring the goggas are tops.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

I'm 1.78m and can see how anyone taller could have a few hassles. The one advantage of the Gogga range is that they fit in a standard garage which was one of my requirements. Unfortunately I can't help you much on this one.

The mosquitto net is easy to open and close but it also has a solid canvas as well that you can zip up. We've never had to close the actual door from the inside (and we've camped wild in the Kgalagadi).

We don't have the geyser and prefer the packing space. It's easy enough to quickly heat water on the stove.

I don't think you'll have any trouble towing the Boabab where you're going. The Miskruier is very light and sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm towing. The Boabab is not that much heavier.

In short, we love our Miskruier but your height might be more of a issue than it is for us. It can't be fun bumping your head every now and again and at some point you could get gatvol.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Does the 500mm longer length of the Baobab really make it that much more difficult to maneuver?
    The +-200kg I can understand

Hi Bluerocket

If you want to try a Miskruier out for a weekend to see if you can live with it, we have a Miskruier available for rental at our branch in Brackenfell.
    Give me a call on o836316995 if you are interested.
    Regards
    Jannie

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post

I don't think you'll have any trouble towing the Boabab where you're going. The Miskruier is very light and sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm towing. The Boabab is not that much heavier.
    Trust me there is quite a big difference in towing the two.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Does the 500mm longer length of the Baobab really make it that much more difficult to maneuver?
    The +-200kg I can understand
    Only the weight makes a difference. The length is not an issue. I could move my Boskriek in my driveway by hand, definitely not the Baobab. Had to fit ewiks to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I'm 1.78m and can see how anyone taller could have a few hassles. The one advantage of the Gogga range is that they fit in a standard garage which was one of my requirements. Unfortunately I can't help you much on this one.

The mosquitto net is easy to open and close but it also has a solid canvas as well that you can zip up. We've never had to close the actual door from the inside (and we've camped wild in the Kgalagadi).

We don't have the geyser and prefer the packing space. It's easy enough to quickly heat water on the stove.

In short, we love our Miskruier but your height might be more of a issue than it is for us. It can't be fun bumping your head every now and again and at some point you could get gatvol.
    Thanks!

Luckily My one garage door is high enough. The previous owner had a huge caravan and built the garage to suit, so storage is not a problem for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Only the weight makes a difference. The length is not an issue. I could move my Boskriek in my driveway by hand, definitely not the Baobab. Had to fit ewiks to move around.
    Did you go from a Gogga to a Baobab and then back to a Gogga?

You’re in Cape Town. At least go and have a look at the Armadillo range in their factory at Milnerton. Will give you a good comparison if you’re a tall guy. (ExtremeOutdoor).
    Drik Hoskin

Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4
    RAV4 VX
    Armadillo Shack caravan
    Silverback Sesta Comp 29er

Did you go from a Gogga to a Baobab and then back to a Gogga?
    Yes....lucky for me the BL's hold their value. My wife especially felt that the Baobab was just too big for 2 people. When overlanding the Goggas are better.

I really like that the Kewer has the pop up roof. Makes the interior more roomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drik View Post
    You’re in Cape Town. At least go and have a look at the Armadillo range in their factory at Milnerton. Will give you a good comparison if you’re a tall guy. (ExtremeOutdoor).
    it always confuses me on this forum when someone asks for a specific brand and then gets told to go look at something else, be it vans, cars etc.? Not starting a fight just a general comment.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Yes....lucky for me the BL's hold their value. My wife especially felt that the Baobab was just too big for 2 people. When overlanding the Goggas are better.

I really like that the Kewer has the pop up roof. Makes the interior more roomy.

I agree with the pop up roof, it makes a massive difference to the space inside.

On the Kewer I found the little table absolutely useless for me. I could not even get in under it to sit, my legs are just to long
    If I can think of another clever idea to utilize that space it might work...

I agree with the pop up roof, it makes a massive difference to the space inside.

On the Kewer I found the little table absolutely useless for me. I could not even get in under it to sit, my legs are just to long
    If I can think of another clever idea to utilize that space it might work...
    Luckiliy I'm not 6ft so table wil work if we get caught in bad weather.

You could always turn it into some packing space or similar.

We have the Kewer and are around 1.80m tall so I guess average height.

We absolutely love being able to live in the van when the weather is lousy outside - rainy or strong winds. In strong winds, I prefer to stow the awning rather than test it against the elements- it is so easy to put up and take down, this really is a non issue

The table and chairs are brilliant to eat at or work from. We also flatten the area and use it to chill stretched out. We wouldn’t change it for anything but we are not nearly as tall as you.

I am pretty sure BL will make you a Boskriek with a pop up roof.

Re the awning height, this is easily solved by choosing bigger tyres or get BL to mount the awning higher but this could interfere with storage in a standard garage

If climbing into the backdoor irritates you on account of your height, this could be a problem in the long run. Not much you can do there I don’t think
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyageur For This Useful Post:

I own a Boskriek.( #1164) I'm nearly 64 and am 188cm tall. I don't suffer with my head touching the tilted roof. Once one gets used to how to enter and exit the van (sit on the edge of the bed and step out)the door is not an issue. We generally only use the canvas screen as the bed is surrounded by canvas anyway so what is the point of closing the metal door. Similarly the bed. At first it seems a little difficult but with use you learn how to get up and move around without too much disturbance. I love the Boskriek. Easy to move and tow and fits my garage. Has more than enough packing space. At the end of the day its what your personal needs are but for two of us we have no need for anything bigger.
    Peter

2006 Pajero Gen3 LWB 3.2 DiD
    2015 Pajero Gen4 LWB 3.2 DiD
    2019 Pajero Gen4 SWB 3.2 DiD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PajGLS2 For This Useful Post:

Hi

We have a Kewer, with the full pop up roof, never close the back door just zip canvas closed. I am 183cm and don't have a problem getting in or our.

Easy to tow.

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

I think you got most answers but let me also give my input. I own a Boskriek. I am 1,87 tall and 55 years old. I went on a 3 months Sabatical through Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. For the majority of this time we stayed in the Boskriek. Now to answer your concerns. I have never bumped my head in the 3 months. Not at the awning, nor the door, nor the bed. And I never crouched. My wife did bump her head the very first evening we got into bed and I thought that was that. But she clearly learned her lesson. Never happened again. The only way your head will bump the awning is if it was not erected accurately. Never had the issue with my legs being too long either. I also worried about it but it was no issue. I did add a eggshell mattress topper in the end but this was more the fact that I am a big boertjie than my length. The door is no issue at all. You just have get in and out the right way i.e exit backwards. Secondly, I have a geaser. I bought the little sail from Mario and immediately stopped worrying about it. Have to admit it was a winter trip so no issues with rain. Will reply on point 3 in next post

Point 3. The toilet. We had a porta potty in the Boskriek for the entire 3 months during the evening. It fits nicely next to the 3rd bed in the isle. Trust me without it you either have a wife that is crazy about camping or you will be divorced. We only closed the actual door when it was extremely cold like in Sutherland. Rest of the time we just used the canvas door. Let me rather talk about the real things which may be a problem. I already mentioned that for such a long trip you my reconsider a mattress topper. I have now added the Alko stabilisers to make it more stable. I have added a inverter for when there is no power and you need a electric blanket. Suggest you get a induction plate when the wind goes crazy and the gas stoves goes out even with the wind protection. The only negative comment I have is that when it gets really cold and you cannot leave a window open there is a lot of condensation. Lastly, I love the boabab, but it does not fit into my garage, I would have had to tow the extra weight and height for 15000 km of which lots was offroad in sand and I have to move it around on my own. Hope my English was ok and this helps with you decision.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast