Default Travel advice Northern Namibia and northern Botswana : mid-November to mid-december

Hi there,

I really need some advice for planning my about three weeks self-drive trip in northern Namibia and northern Botswana.

Arrival and 4x4 rental in Windhoek, then,

• Sandwich Harbour over Us Hoogte Pass and night in Walvis Bay
    • Swakopmund and night at Spitzkoppe
    • Cape Cross, Messun Crater and night at Brandberg
    • Twyfelfontein and night there
    • Palmwag and night at Grootberg

After Palmwag I would like to drive up into Kaokoveld but donít know if I am up to driving on roads like Van Zylís pass etc.... what would you recommend ?

Then

• Night at Hobatere
    • Entering Etosha through Galton Gate
    • Night at Olifantsrus
    • Night at Halali
    • Night at Namutoni
    • Night at Rundu
    • Night at Divundu

Then I donít know wether it is better to drive

• over Kasane, Vic Falls, Savuti, Khwai, Moremi and leave the 4x4 in Maun
    • Or the other way round over Maun, Moremi, Khwai, Savuti and Leave the 4x4 in Kasane

Is this route compatible at all with the season ?

Last time I traveled in Namibia in this period was in the southern part... so no weather issues...

Thanks for your help !

Default Re: Travel advice Northern Namibia and northern Botswana : mid-November to mid-decemb

not sure how you mean with sandwhich harbour over Us pass then walvisbay?

Also I would recomend to rather stay in swakop than walvis.

to do kaokoveld from palmwag and van zyl's etc you would need a few days.

Route conditions regarding weather it could be a bit early to tell, we do sometimes have rain that time of year which can change routes and conditions over-night, but usualy there are alternative routes available.

also are you lodging or camping?
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Default Re: Travel advice Northern Namibia and northern Botswana : mid-November to mid-decemb

Quote Originally Posted by Poisell View Post
    After Palmwag I would like to drive up into Kaokoveld but donít know if I am up to driving on roads like Van Zylís pass etc....
    Not many 4x4 rental agencies will allow you over Van Zyl's (or even into Kaokoveld in general).

Also, your Botswana part of the trip (Moremi, Chobe, ....) in December could be questionable due to weather.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Far too much driving. Namibia and Botswana are long distance low speed countries. You'll be tired every day and have to set up and break camp daily. Rather stay over 2 or more nights per location. Maun - Moremi is a days drive on its own as is Savuti - kasane. Low range deep sand at 20- 40 km/h. The roads between Maun, Moremi and Savuti could have black cotton soil mud at that time. That is low range slow.

Red face Re: Travel advice Northern Namibia and northern Botswana : mid-November to mid-decemb

Hi
    thanks for all your advice!

the us pass part was just to say that I didnít want to take the main routes but to
    drive the smaller roads instead...

Yes I will do camping and there would be no other vehicle which seems to be a bit of a problem in regards to the difficulties I could run into weather wise...

so if I understand right, you would suggest to leave out the Kaokoveld part and the Botswana part? Actually no car rental mentioned to refuse if I were to go to Kaokoveld...

up to where would I be on the safe side weather wise on Botswana side ?

is Caprivi as uncertain as Botswana is ?

which places did I leave out which could be of interest ?

which places deserve a longer stay ?

sorry for all those questions but I obviously donít want to make anything wrong ...

and thanks for all your help

Just make very sure with the rental company regarding kaoko and damaraland. Many of them end the cover as soon as you go "off-road", and then it is usually in the small print.

I also would not really recommend those areas alone, on my tours I have often come across tourists stuck or with a broken vehicle, or lost. Once even got a call to help search for people, luckily they had a sat phone, but their description of where they were was not great, in a river behind a mountain...uhm, ok.

The weather question is always a tough one because it could rain it could not, we can't really say. The best then is to not take chances and turn around and look for another route, or in most cases wait a few hours till it is safe to cross.

Sandwhich harbour I would recommend to use a operator for a day trip, less stress and they will show you a lot of stuff you would not see on your own.

Maybe skip kaoko this time, do it on your next nam trip and dedicate at least 10 days for that. I would say drive from swakop to brandberg white lady lodge or Madisa camp. Camp there for 2 or 3 nights and explore the area a bit. That would give you a few extra days for the rest of your trip. As mentioned by others it is all a lot of ground to cover in three weeks.

We usually recommend to stay at least 2 nights per spot, and not do more than 350km per day. That makes it a holiday.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post

Sandwhich harbour I would recommend to use a operator for a day trip, less stress and they will show you a lot of stuff you would not see on your own.
    Not to hijack again - any recommendation here, maybe yourself?

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Not to hijack again - any recommendation here, maybe yourself?

I do mainly guided self-drive trips to damaraland and kaoko, 4x4 trail trips and advisory/back-up on vehicle launches etc. For that reason never started offering sandwhich trips as unsure when I am here or not, so don't want to make a promise to a client which I might have to cancel. If I am in the area and somebody asks obviously I would be happy to oblige though.

But usually when we do have clients that want to book a sandwhich excursion with all the bells and whistles I use this chap and can highly recommend Ol' Uncle Hans: https://www.facebook.com/atlanticdeserttours/
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post

I do mainly guided self-drive trips to damaraland and kaoko, 4x4 trail trips and advisory/back-up on vehicle launches etc. For that reason never started offering sandwhich trips as unsure when I am here or not, so don't want to make a promise to a client which I might have to cancel. If I am in the area and somebody asks obviously I would be happy to oblige though.

But usually when we do have clients that want to book a sandwhich excursion with all the bells and whistles I use this chap and can highly recommend Ol' Uncle Hans: https://www.facebook.com/atlanticdeserttours/

Thank you Walter.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans 90 For This Useful Post:

Hi and thanks again for all this advice...

So here is the new itinerary (or part of it) without the Kaokoveld and Botswana part...

Arrival and 4x4 rental + night in Windhoek, then,

• Walvis bay - Sandwich Harbour and night in Swakopmund
    • Cape Cross and night at Spitzkoppe Tented Camp
    • Brandberg and 2 nights at Brandberg White Lady Lodge (visit of Messun Crater, white lady painting) any suggestions here (itinerary, etc...) ?
    • Twyfelfontein and night at Mowani Mountain Camp (visit of Petrified Forest and / or Burned mountain)
    • Palmwag and night at Grootberg Lodge
    • Night at Hobatere Lodge
    • Entering Etosha through Galton Gate Night at Olifantsrus
    • Night at Halali
    • Night at Namutoni
    • Night at Rundu
    • Night around the Waterberg plateau (Waterberg Quest Farm ) any suggestions here please (camping sites, itineraries, etc..) ?

We would then like to enter Kgaladadi NP to finish our trip in Upington... open to any suggestions

Thanks again for your help !

Still too much driving in my opinion. It's really hot inland that time of the year and cooler at the coast. You're aware that Namutoni to Rundu will take a day in the heat? Get a flat tyre and you'll lose a lot of time too. At least 2 nights per spot. Otherwise you'll be very tired of setting up camp late and breaking camp early every day. Touring vast stretches of Africa on your own is not the same as a "If this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium" type of European tour. You'll be missing out on a lot at each place.

Just on the Namutoni to Rundu trip you'll have to miss out Lake Otjikoto, The Tsumeb Museum where the German cannons are and the Hobatere meteorite (Biggest in the world) near Grootfontein. At Swakop/Walvis you'll have to miss out on a desert tour, Dune 7, Welwitchias, The Namib Naukluft Park, Goanikontes Oasis and plenty other things to do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

I also don't understand, why would you want to drive all the way to Rundu from Namutoni, just to drive back to Waterberg the next day. Ther's nothing very exiting in or near Rundu. Better skip Rundu and go directly to Waterberg. And rather visit Hoba meteorite near Grootfontein on the way there.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2020/08/24 at 08:57 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thatís exactly why I opened this thread on this forum !!

So I just donít plan Rundu and save 2 days for something else...

thanks!

any suggestions on routes to take (also in December )?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisell View Post
    Thatís exactly why I opened this thread on this forum !!

So I just donít plan Rundu and save 2 days for something else...

thanks!

any suggestions on routes to take (also in December )?
    In December the entire country empties to the coast where it is much cooler than inland. If you want to be anywhere near the coast in December you need to book now. Swakop, Henties and Walvis are a rush hour at this time of year. This has the effect of lower accommodation prices inland for the holiday season. For a two week trip try to limit yourself to one or two areas. Namibia is a vast country.

Hi and thanks a lot for all the replies...

it took me a while to get back here because I had to reconsider a couple of things based on your advice.

I finally planned the tour the other way round .

windhoek
    4x4 rental
    night at immanuel lodge

waterberg plateau
    night at andersson camp

Hoba
    tsumed museum
    night at Onguma tamboti camp

Night Halali camp

night at Okaukuejo camp

night at Olifantsrus camp

Palwag concession
    night at Grootberg lodge

twyvelfontein
    organ pipes and burnt mountain
    night at mowani camp

white lady painting
    night at white lady lodge

messum crater (turn-off left from d2342) Coming back out on the d2303
    brandberg west mine
    night at white lady lodge

small bush menís paradise
    night at Spitzkoppe

cape cross
    goanikontes
    moon landscape
    welwitchia plain
    night in Swakopmund

Sandwich Harbour 1/2 day
    dune7
    night in Swakopmund

dune 45
    elim dune
    (weíve already been to big daddy and Deadvlei last year)
    night in Sesriem campsite

night in Kalahari game lodge (I know itís a bit of driving ...)

Twee rivieren for admin
    Night in Kieliekrankie KTP

night in matopi on Bosobogolo trail to Mabuasehube

night in loshongolo camp

night in Matopi KTP

night in Grootkolk KTP

Night Kgalagadi lodge

Upington return of 4x4

flight to CPT