no power and even some smoke?!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default no power and even some smoke?!?

Hi guys

My new pajero is giving me tough time. We went for a little drive up paarl mountain. I replaced the vacuum solenoids for the front diff last week so just wanted to check that. At least that seems sorted.

So on our way down I had her in 4x4 and was in manual mode and testing the cars engen braking in first gear. No crazy incline.

As soon as I came back on the tar I switched her back into RWD and flipped back to auto. The car pulled well, like usual and all was good.

Then, after a km or two the engen had almost no power, struggling to reach 60km/h. There was even some smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The car idles perfectly.

Any ideas would be great.

Default Re: no power and even some smoke?!?

Its on a 3.2 2003 Pajero

What colour smoke?

light colored

Quote Originally Posted by domkiki View Post
    Hi guys

My new pajero is giving me tough time. We went for a little drive up paarl mountain. I replaced the vacuum solenoids for the front diff last week so just wanted to check that. At least that seems sorted.

So on our way down I had her in 4x4 and was in manual mode and testing the cars engen braking in first gear. No crazy incline.

As soon as I came back on the tar I switched her back into RWD and flipped back to auto. The car pulled well, like usual and all was good.

Then, after a km or two the engen had almost no power, struggling to reach 60km/h. There was even some smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The car idles perfectly.

Any ideas would be great.
    I really don't know. But, its sounds like a fuel issue. Start with checking if the fuel filter is dirty (dirt in the tank). The gen 3 has a mechanical diesel pump and things can get problematic there if it is damaged. Has this car ever been tampered with (e.g diesel pump, engine anything).

Did you get any dash lights, like a combination of traction control and something else flickering?

Do not drive it till you have sorted it out. If it is diesel pump then it can damage the engine (pistons).
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/08/15 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I really don't know. But, its sounds like a fuel issue. Start with checking if the fuel filter is dirty (dirt in the tank). The gen 3 has a mechanical diesel pump and things can get problematic there if it is damaged. Has this car ever been tampered with (e.g diesel pump, engine anything).
    Thanks for the reply.

I literally bought it a couple of weeks ago, so don't have a very clear history except the service history. Since then I've just changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and the vacuum solenoid. was running fine from there.

I have noticed that the idle vacuum valve ( i think that's what its called) is connected, but the pin connecting to the butterfly mechanism has been disconnected. But this was like that before the time, so cant be that

light colored
    Light blue? Light Grey? White? Density of smoke?

light grey, but was when I put
    foot down just to get to 60km/h. After that I just backed down and there was no smoke.

not a big amount of smoke

Thanks for the reply.

I literally bought it a couple of weeks ago, so don't have a very clear history except the service history. Since then I've just changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and the vacuum solenoid. was running fine from there.

I have noticed that the idle vacuum valve ( i think that's what its called) is connected, but the pin connecting to the butterfly mechanism has been disconnected. But this was like that before the time, so cant be that
    Yea, I've followed your posts since purchase . I was really hoping it would be trouble free.

If we are thinking about the same pin then that shouldn't be causing it. That pin has a tendency to get old and then work loose all the time. The car will just shut off slightly slower. Sometimes it will also cause a check engine light. This has take place on my dad's 3.2 for 60k already.

Did you buy from a dealer or private? Is there any further history you can get on the vehicle? FSH?

Did you ever take it to Jacques to get checked out?
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/08/15 at 08:21 PM.

light grey, but was when I put
    foot down just to get to 60km/h. After that I just backed down and there was no smoke.
    Mine also chucks a bit of smoke when accelerating hard after coasting and it's the common rail. That normal for a diesel. I'd be more concerned if it was smoking under idle. So no idle smoke?
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/08/15 at 08:21 PM.

Yea, I've followed your posts since purchase . I was really hoping it would be trouble free.

If we are thinking about the same pin then that shouldn't be causing it. That pin has a tendency to get old and then work loose all the time. The car will just shut off slightly slower. Sometimes it will also cause a check engine light. This has take place on my dad's 3.2 for 60k already.

Did you buy from a dealer or private? Is there any further history you can get on the vehicle? FSH?

Did you ever take it to Jacques to get checked out?
    I bought it privately unfortunately. The services just show normal service items.

Unfortunately it hasn't been to Jacques yet, but think it should go asap, if I can get it there.

Thing is its my only vehicle.

Mine also chucks a bit of smoke when accelerating hard after coasting and it's the common rail. That normal for a diesel. I'd be more concerned if it was smoking under idle. So no idle smoke?
    no idle smoke at all. There was just nooooo power. I'll check oil level tomorrow. If that remained stable (not up or down), then I 'll take her for a drive again.

also no engen light came on. Would a blocked intake result in the same issues?

I bought it privately unfortunately. The services just show normal service items.

Unfortunately it hasn't been to Jacques yet, but think it should go asap, if I can get it there.

Thing is its my only vehicle.
    I think Jacques is going to be your best bet. There could be a few things wrong. Start with the fuel filter, it could be dirty diesel.

Check your oil level. Diesel may end up in the sump if the pump (seal) has failed catastrophically. Though that would've cause heavy over-fueling and lots of black smoke.

Do not take it to someone who does not know these cars, they will see it, hear your symptoms, and diagnose diesel pump immediately (it may turn out to be that but someone reputable will follow the correct process to get to that diagnosis). Diesel pump failures on these actually seem to be mostly related to running out of fuel.

As a side note, try using 500ppm diesel where you can find it. The pre-common rail 4m41 seem to run happier on it and most guys who know them well recommend it.

no idle smoke at all. There was just nooooo power. I'll check oil level tomorrow. If that remained stable (not up or down), then I 'll take her for a drive again.

It would have to be severely blocked and then it would not idle smoothly, but I'm just speculating and a mechanic is what you need.

thanks for you time and comments. will keep you guys posted.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to domkiki For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't drive it further, maybe it's even worth flatbedding it to the mechanic. Those are expensive engines, the monetary pain if driving it further stuffs it up will be pretty epic.

I'd at least liaise with a reputable garage before starting it further, it may be something basic like a vacuum line or wiring that popped off, a simple fix or they may identify something more serious that needs to be nipped in the bud.

Edit. I see it's the 2003, I thought it was the 3.2 DID motor, I've seen people having some pretty spectacular engine rebuilds after seemingly mild symptoms.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/08/16 at 01:31 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

I also bought a new 2hnd vehicle just over 2 weeks ago, I'm also a little jittery that hidden gremlins may rear their heads.

Unless it's an undeniable deal, ie a meticulous previous owner 2hnd is always a crapshoot, even if you are diligent in inspecting the vehicle.

From my experience a good R5-10k is typically needed to cover catching up maintenance or doing repairs to latent defects to get a newly purchased 2hnd vehicle ship shape.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

I recon its the diesel pump thats the problem

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Just had a little probe around the engen bay. the oil level has remained constant. One thing that I've noticed is that the fuel priming button (on top of the fuel filter element housing) presses down really easily. Compared to when I changed the filter a couple of weeks ago.

This means that either there is air upstream from it or the seals downstream has popped? I'll open the air bleed screw and pump a little to see if there's any fuel that comes out.

The fuel tank level is on 1/4, so it cant be empty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast