Discovery 3 Disco 3 handbrake woes

Default Disco 3 handbrake woes

Hi all,

So Iím on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

The handbrake does release but not fully. The left hand side makes a very worrying noise while driving and I can feel a slight hesitation while pulling away from a standstil.

I tried pulling the release cable to completely disengage the handbrake system but only managed to snap the nylon string attached to it.

To add, I replaced the entire handbrake system about a month ago so I sis not expect to have trouble so soon

Have this happened to anyone else? Any tips or tricks to resolve this?

Cheers

Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

Quote Originally Posted by Discoverie View Post
    Hi all,

So Iím on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

The handbrake does release but not fully. The left hand side makes a very worrying noise while driving and I can feel a slight hesitation while pulling away from a standstil.

I tried pulling the release cable to completely disengage the handbrake system but only managed to snap the nylon string attached to it.

To add, I replaced the entire handbrake system about a month ago so I sis not expect to have trouble so soon

Cheers

My D4 did this on Sani Pass of all places. Pulled the cable release got the loud click you are supposed to, but the brakes did not release. Left the vehicle on the pass overnight - went and stayed in the lodge at the top - cane back next morning with a hack saw prepared to cut the cables - brakes released when I started the car.

I guess temperature? Not sure. I also had mine rebuilt (after this) and the gears replaced with metal ones. As far as a what to do - I donít have anything - 12h solved my particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoverie View Post
    Hi all,

So I’m on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

Cheers
    Looking at this from purely a generic failure analysis perspective and a question; ''whats different?'' then it could be related to the replacement.

This could be a classic example of what is termed ''Infant Mortality'', which, contrary to popular belief, is the highest cause of failures and not wear and tear or age.

In Heyyahhey's instance, his might have been electronic/electrical. These often give random and or intermittent failures.

Mechanical failure would not be intermittent (although there could be a number of exceptions to this rule).

This could then be due to a faulty/substandard part or poor fitment (or maybe a part not replaced)

So, on that basis, who replaced the entire system and what parts were used?

I would call them to come sort it out.
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/08/15 at 05:50 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Sound like you havenít pulled the release cable hard enuf to get it to release. Put something through the the cable loop and pull like hell

Or open it up and see whats happening.

Take off the rear disk, you can always remove the shoes and tie up the bits that might be scraping. Then get it properly sorted when you are back.

First put it into service mode: switch on ignition, push brake pedal down three times, hold it down on the third press, then hold down the park brake switch for 5 secs.

To take off the disk you need a 15 spanner or socket (twelve point)for the caliper bracket, a Torx T50 to remove the bolt holding the disk to the hub, and a flat screw driver to back the shoes off the drum.

Have a look at Bodsys Brake Bible for more detailed info

Here: https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/a...le_V1.4sml.pdf
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post

First put it into service mode: switch on ignition, push brake pedal down three times, hold it down on the third press, then hold down the park brake switch for 5 secs.
    My park brake gave me trouble for quite a while. It tended to intermittently do the gear grinding sound (Eina!) and then it jammed. The manual pull to the cable release works, but the one time it was just too tight, and I could not release it... This Service Mode trick fixed it - and (touch wood!) it has not re-surfaced!

Make a note of it and put it in the glove box for those unfortunate times that you have such a problem again!

The most important thing with the D3 (and D4?) park brake: keep the shoes well adjusted. As soon as they get too far from the drum, the motor and gearing in the EPB box has to travel too far and it jams.

I listen to how long the brake mechanism runs before it stops. When it starts running for too long (maybe more than 3 secs?), its getting risky, time for adjustment.

Its really easy to adjust the shoes (though you do need to remove each rear wheel).

Its just like a VW Beetles drums, check Bodsy's Bible for the detail, but basically:

Put a big flat screw driver in through the hole and turn the knurled wheel.

The way I remember the direction to move: screw driver handle moves towards the centre of the hub: shoes move to the centre of the hub (away from the drum). Handle moving away from the centre: shoes move away from the centre (towards the drum).
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    The most important thing with the D3 (and D4?) park brake: keep the shoes well adjusted. As soon as they get too far from the drum, the motor and gearing in the EPB box has to travel too far and it jams.

I listen to how long the brake mechanism runs before it stops. When it starts running for too long (maybe more than 3 secs?), its getting risky, time for adjustment.

Its really easy to adjust the shoes (though you do need to remove each rear wheel).

Its just like a VW Beetles drums, check Bodsy's Bible for the detail, but basically:

Put a big flat screw driver in through the hole and turn the knurled wheel.

The way I remember the direction to move: screw driver handle moves towards the centre of the hub: shoes move to the centre of the hub (away from the drum). Handle moving away from the centre: shoes move away from the centre (towards the drum).
    This and also blow in air at that hole, you will be surprised at the amount of dust that gathers inside the drum.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

and apply it every so often to keep it working. had some serious shudder as RH side stuck a few times in 2013, replaced the shoes when the disks needed replacement, followed Bodsy's bible and had 7 trouble free years so far
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!