Discovery 3 Disco 3 handbrake woes





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 1

    Default Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Hi all,

    So Iím on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

    The handbrake does release but not fully. The left hand side makes a very worrying noise while driving and I can feel a slight hesitation while pulling away from a standstil.

    I tried pulling the release cable to completely disengage the handbrake system but only managed to snap the nylon string attached to it.

    To add, I replaced the entire handbrake system about a month ago so I sis not expect to have trouble so soon

    Have this happened to anyone else? Any tips or tricks to resolve this?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    450
    Thanked: 853

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Discoverie View Post
    Hi all,

    So Iím on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

    The handbrake does release but not fully. The left hand side makes a very worrying noise while driving and I can feel a slight hesitation while pulling away from a standstil.

    I tried pulling the release cable to completely disengage the handbrake system but only managed to snap the nylon string attached to it.

    To add, I replaced the entire handbrake system about a month ago so I sis not expect to have trouble so soon

    Have this happened to anyone else? Any tips or tricks to resolve this?

    Cheers

    My D4 did this on Sani Pass of all places. Pulled the cable release got the loud click you are supposed to, but the brakes did not release. Left the vehicle on the pass overnight - went and stayed in the lodge at the top - cane back next morning with a hack saw prepared to cut the cables - brakes released when I started the car.

    I guess temperature? Not sure. I also had mine rebuilt (after this) and the gears replaced with metal ones. As far as a what to do - I donít have anything - 12h solved my particular issue.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,898
    Thanked: 13205

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Discoverie View Post
    Hi all,

    So I’m on vacation in Hartenbos and my vehicle decided to act up.

    The handbrake does release but not fully. The left hand side makes a very worrying noise while driving and I can feel a slight hesitation while pulling away from a standstil.

    I tried pulling the release cable to completely disengage the handbrake system but only managed to snap the nylon string attached to it.

    To add, I replaced the entire handbrake system about a month ago so I sis not expect to have trouble so soon

    Have this happened to anyone else? Any tips or tricks to resolve this?

    Cheers
    Looking at this from purely a generic failure analysis perspective and a question; ''whats different?'' then it could be related to the replacement.

    This could be a classic example of what is termed ''Infant Mortality'', which, contrary to popular belief, is the highest cause of failures and not wear and tear or age.

    In Heyyahhey's instance, his might have been electronic/electrical. These often give random and or intermittent failures.

    Mechanical failure would not be intermittent (although there could be a number of exceptions to this rule).

    This could then be due to a faulty/substandard part or poor fitment (or maybe a part not replaced)

    So, on that basis, who replaced the entire system and what parts were used?

    I would call them to come sort it out.
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/08/15 at 05:50 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,154
    Thanked: 520

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Sound like you havenít pulled the release cable hard enuf to get it to release. Put something through the the cable loop and pull like hell



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    973
    Thanked: 298

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Or open it up and see whats happening.

    Take off the rear disk, you can always remove the shoes and tie up the bits that might be scraping. Then get it properly sorted when you are back.

    First put it into service mode: switch on ignition, push brake pedal down three times, hold it down on the third press, then hold down the park brake switch for 5 secs.

    To take off the disk you need a 15 spanner or socket (twelve point)for the caliper bracket, a Torx T50 to remove the bolt holding the disk to the hub, and a flat screw driver to back the shoes off the drum.

    Have a look at Bodsys Brake Bible for more detailed info

    Here: https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/a...le_V1.4sml.pdf
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    140
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post

    First put it into service mode: switch on ignition, push brake pedal down three times, hold it down on the third press, then hold down the park brake switch for 5 secs.
    My park brake gave me trouble for quite a while. It tended to intermittently do the gear grinding sound (Eina!) and then it jammed. The manual pull to the cable release works, but the one time it was just too tight, and I could not release it... This Service Mode trick fixed it - and (touch wood!) it has not re-surfaced!

    Make a note of it and put it in the glove box for those unfortunate times that you have such a problem again!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    973
    Thanked: 298

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    The most important thing with the D3 (and D4?) park brake: keep the shoes well adjusted. As soon as they get too far from the drum, the motor and gearing in the EPB box has to travel too far and it jams.

    I listen to how long the brake mechanism runs before it stops. When it starts running for too long (maybe more than 3 secs?), its getting risky, time for adjustment.

    Its really easy to adjust the shoes (though you do need to remove each rear wheel).

    Its just like a VW Beetles drums, check Bodsy's Bible for the detail, but basically:

    Put a big flat screw driver in through the hole and turn the knurled wheel.

    The way I remember the direction to move: screw driver handle moves towards the centre of the hub: shoes move to the centre of the hub (away from the drum). Handle moving away from the centre: shoes move away from the centre (towards the drum).
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,460
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    The most important thing with the D3 (and D4?) park brake: keep the shoes well adjusted. As soon as they get too far from the drum, the motor and gearing in the EPB box has to travel too far and it jams.

    I listen to how long the brake mechanism runs before it stops. When it starts running for too long (maybe more than 3 secs?), its getting risky, time for adjustment.

    Its really easy to adjust the shoes (though you do need to remove each rear wheel).

    Its just like a VW Beetles drums, check Bodsy's Bible for the detail, but basically:

    Put a big flat screw driver in through the hole and turn the knurled wheel.

    The way I remember the direction to move: screw driver handle moves towards the centre of the hub: shoes move to the centre of the hub (away from the drum). Handle moving away from the centre: shoes move away from the centre (towards the drum).
    This and also blow in air at that hole, you will be surprised at the amount of dust that gathers inside the drum.
    www.lani4travel.com

    Louis Le Grange

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    590
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake woes

    and apply it every so often to keep it working. had some serious shudder as RH side stuck a few times in 2013, replaced the shoes when the disks needed replacement, followed Bodsy's bible and had 7 trouble free years so far
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •