Wheel Uplift vs. Larger Tires

Default Wheel Uplift vs. Larger Tires

For very rocky and rutty terrain, which one would be more important: 315/70R17 tires at the expense of a small loss of wheel uptravel, say 10mm per wheel and the need to use a limiter, or 285/70R17 tires but with slightly more wheel uptravel, the 10mm per wheel?

Default Re: Wheel Uplift vs. Larger Tires

Why are you loosing the 10mm. Tyre catching the body?

Different advantages depending on terrein and traction devices. Bigger footprint is great, but useless if the opposite wheel has no traction, or can't be locked. Nut, taking the width of the wheel, you may find that the outer edge of the tyre on the extended side can make up for your loss in bump. Take your axle angle at full articulation, and extend it by the 40mm that the tyre is wider, and see what additional reach you have. Unfortunately that won't apply to and IFS setup, although the angle of the vehicle itself may come into play.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

One point to consider is the power available to drive the larger tyre. My go to site when things tyre related pops up is https://www.errolstyres.co.za/odcalculator. According to this calculator you will have a 42mm larger circumference on the 315, this will affect your fuel consumption as well as performance of the vehicle.

Do you have enough power to easily drive those wheels, I don't think there will be a major difference in negotiating the terrain you mentioned as long as you have enough power to do so
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Very good point. I hardly noticed a difference in power, but my fuel consumption did suffer a bit when I went from 245 (29.5") rubber to 31s. These were very aggressive MTs, which gave much better traction, so I was happy with that. Now on 33" HTs, and it sucks power out of the old TD27. Runs 0.2bar average higher boost pressure to maintain the same type of speeds on the tar and although I have not had the oppertunity to work out the fuel consumption, it looks worse. Off road I have also not had a chance to see what it is going to do. But the 4.1 gears compared to 2.1 of before should help in some situations. It's where you need to get momentum built up fast where I am going to suffer. Hoping I can find a good gear ratio between the 15 gears I now have compared to 10 of before. Crawling should be a treat.

Now my wife is saying the 33s look too small and out of proportion on the Sani, but 35s stretches its legs even more, and lifts me by another 25mm. Choices, choices, lol....
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by humvee4us View Post
    For very rocky and rutty terrain, which one would be more important: 315/70R17 tires at the expense of a small loss of wheel uptravel, say 10mm per wheel and the need to use a limiter, or 285/70R17 tires but with slightly more wheel uptravel, the 10mm per wheel?
    Firstly, answering only the simplistic and immediate question and not getting into the more complicated aspects already mentioned by others, I would say this depends to some extent on the exact terrain being crossed, and to some extent on the vehicle in question.
    In a vehicle without lockers or TC, lifting a wheel causes one to grind to a halt, so suspension travel is pretty important. On the other hand, plowing the diffs into the ground has the same effect irrespective of lockers and traction control...

I have always believed that a larger diameter tire improves off-road ability, but width not so much (although that too is dependent on the exact type of terrain). Of course, it brings other potential issues such as higher loadings on the drivetrain and suspension. And it certainly has a negative affect on on-road performance...
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

I would disregard the size of the tyre and worry about the ply rating first.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus