Has anyone used Paintless Dent Repair before?

Default Has anyone used Paintless Dent Repair before?

I used to think Paintless Dent Repair(PDR) was for pulling out small trolley bumps or other minor parking lot knocks till I found a YouTube channel about PDR and had my mind blow.

These guys can restore pretty major damage, including creased metal, sharp body lines, very deep dents. I would imagine the repair possibilities are only limited by the skill of the PDR technician. There are naturally limits but the repairs the videos below show are far beyond anything I thought possible.

https://youtu.be/6_iXK_YgWQQ

https://youtu.be/6vV2zQLnGvM

Default Re: Has anyone used Paintless Dent Repair before?

Has anyone tried Paintless Dent Repair in SA?
    If so what was the cost compared to traditional panelbeaters and what was the finished work like?

One significant advantage of PDR is time, they'll only need your vehicle for a day, along with no dodgy spray work with suspect masking, over spray on surrounding panels if not the whole vehicle, risk of future paint failure, poor stripping and assembly, poor panel gaps etc. Finding a good panelbeater can be an expensive and frustrating minefield, PDR largely sidesteps most of the aforementioned pitfalls and should be significantly cheaper to boot.

Had an under 1 year old car hammered by hail last year and it was badly damaged.
    Was repaired by Eastern Autobody in Boksburg using PDR.
    The result was mind blowing as every dent was pulled out and there is just no evidence that there was any damage. It is literally unbelievable.

I had another car which was damaged many years ago and this was repaired conventionally by a well reputed body shop.
    However the car was never the same afterwards although at first glance it looked alright

Almost all the dealers around me (probably elsewhere as well) use them. They ask something like R280 per panel. Might've changed since then. But I don't think these guys can do creased metal etc...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Had a nasty ding from a cricket ball removed from my GTI.

Was on the front fender. The technician went in through the bonnet and wheel well with all sorts of specialized tools and hammers.

Results were amazing, absolutely no evidence of a dent ever been there. Took him about 30mins.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

They repaired a nasty dent on my wifes car at a cost of R800, the panelbeating quote came in at just over R 12000.

Try as I may, I cannot find any traces of the dent / repair.

I now use them once a year or so to remove all small parking lot dents from my vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Almost all the dealers around me (probably elsewhere as well) use them. They ask something like R280 per panel. Might've changed since then. But I don't think these guys can do creased metal etc...
    There are limits but the videos I posted show repairs far beyond anything I would expect would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Had a nasty ding from a cricket ball removed from my GTI.

Was on the front fender. The technician went in through the bonnet and wheel well with all sorts of specialized tools and hammers.

Results were amazing, absolutely no evidence of a dent ever been there. Took him about 30mins.
    How much did that cost?
    Having it panelbeated would probably have set you back a good R5k.