Talk at me with regards to Border Collies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Talk at me with regards to Border Collies

We've been looking around for a larger dog that can stay outside. Also to be a friend to our younger Cocker Spaniel as our older one is on pension and not playful anymore.

I've come across a litter of brown Border Collies, and most importantly the price is affordable. Their parents are "Sheepdogs" in the Karoo.

My concern is this - will they get the exercise they need? I have a 1100sqm erf which is unobstructed and the dogs has the run of it. A friend recently had to move into her townhouse with her Border Collie from her farm due to unfortunate circumstances. He seems to be doing OK, and she recons 1100sqm is more than enough for these dogs.

I'm going to be frank, we do not have the time nor inclination to do 5km walks with our dogs 3x a week.

Am I going to be doing this pup a disservice by enclosing him in such a space?

Your inputs greatly appreciated.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Default Re: Talk at me with regards to Border Collies

If you are looking for a low maintenance dog this is probably not the way to go.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Is a single garage really big enough for you. Yes it will suffice BUT. Some dogs just lie against the garage door and sleep all day. Border collies love, have to be active all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    We've been looking around for a larger dog that can stay outside. Also to be a friend to our younger Cocker Spaniel as our older one is on pension and not playful anymore.

I've come across a litter of brown Border Collies, and most importantly the price is affordable. Their parents are "Sheepdogs" in the Karoo.

My concern is this - will they get the exercise they need? I have a 1100sqm erf which is unobstructed and the dogs has the run of it. A friend recently had to move into her townhouse with her Border Collie from her farm due to unfortunate circumstances. He seems to be doing OK, and she recons 1100sqm is more than enough for these dogs.

I'm going to be frank, we do not have the time nor inclination to do 5km walks with our dogs 3x a week.

Last edited by Robbief; 2020/08/13 at 09:17 AM.
    Roberto Forbes
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Kix

Border Kollies is pragtige, wonderlike en baie slim honde.

Net een probleem. Hulle is geteel om te werk. Ek meen regtig WERK. As jy hom nie kan besig hou en baie ruimte bied nie word hy 'n probleemhond. Die brakkie waarin jy belangstel se voorsate sÍ genoeg!
    My persoonlike ondervinding.

Ek sal liewer na 'n ander ras kyk.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Then this breed is not for you.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

My parents just got their third collie two weeks ago and they stay in a 1400sq property. They have two dogs at a time no more. The dogs do just fine, they also donít walk their dogs, but I think the key is how much time you willing to put aside for your dogs. If the dog is outside it might not get the interaction that it requires and will start becoming destructive.

My 2c Worth allow the dogs in the kitchen so they can still be around you. They are very
    Intelligent so quite easy to train and get them on the right track
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

Please donít get a working breed if you donít intend on working it. 10 000 sqm is not large enough if the dog is not stimulated.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FantomBadger For This Useful Post:

We have a border collie/alsation cross and she is active. Our yard is about 1100 sqm and she is all over the place, no barriers. Very alert dog and barks at every one that comes near the fence. My son had her at a training course for almost 2 years and she is well disciplined. They need attention.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

No, border collies must work. Everyday, the whole day. Not just exercise. I grew up in a family of sheep farmers and I saw the collies being worked, it is a skill to train and work them for both the handler and the dog.

I love German Shephards, we had one for 13 years. She played and ran around when there was space and had the normal puppy naughtiness, but she was never hyper. Their intelligence is just something to behold; they learn very fast and enjoy the process. If you get a good one, they are great with kids.

Ridgeback? Also a dog which will use the space if they have it, but they are actually fairly lazy. The lady I used to stable my horse at had 2 on a plot. They were most often found in the kitchen in their baskets but also gladly joined long outrides with the horses. We have a neighbour with 2 Ridgebacks in a very small garden and they are much quieter than some of the little stoep skuitertjies in the estate.

In my opinion, for any large dog breed, you need to be prepared to exercise them regularly and like with any dog in general, just spend time with them to teach, play and bond. Maybe not 5 km daily, but I would rather do a short walk daily than attempt to fit in 5km 3 times a week.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/08/14 at 10:05 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

My neigbour got these dogs in a normal 900 sq m erf. They become very noisy due to lack of stimulation.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    No, border collies must work. Everyday, the whole day. Not just exercise. I grew up in a family of sheep farmers and I saw the collies being worked, it is a skill to train and work them for both the handler and the dog.

I love German Shephards, we had one for 13 years. She played and ran around when there was space and had the normal puppy naughtiness, but she was never hyper. Their intelligence is just something to behold; they learn very fast and enjoy the process. If you get a good one, they are great with kids.

Ridgeback? Also a dog which will use the space if they have it, but they are actually fairly lazy. The lady I used to stable my horse at had 2 on a plot. They were most often found in the kitchen in their baskets but also glady joined long outrides with the horses. We have a neighbour with 2 Ridgebacks in a very small garden and they are actually much quieter than some of the little stoep skuitertjies in the estate.

In my opinion, for any large dog breed, you need to be prepared to exercise them regularly and like with any dog in general, just spend time with them to teach, play and bond. Maybe not 5 km daily, but I would rather do a short walk daily than attempt to fit in 5km 3 times a week.
    When I stayed in Stellenbosch we had a brown one, the yard 3000 sqm, and the dog exercised by itself. Depends where the dog comes from. There are litters that are more "domesticated" compared to the farm bred border collies.
    Robert

'09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)

Through the years I had 7 Border Collies - still have 1 female - 13 years old now

They need a lot of interaction and space - it is cruel to put them in an enclosed yard especially alone
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    My neigbour got these dogs in a normal 900 sq m erf. They become very noisy due to lack of stimulation.
    That is small.
    Robert

'09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)

I have one, happens to be brown/white. She's my second Border Collie. I live on a 2000 sqm stand. It's not big enough. I take her with when I ride my m/bike, 10 km's and she hardly breaks a sweat. Yes some seem to be OK with no exercise but why would you do that to a dog that needs exercise and stimulation. Search "Border Collie Rescue", they are just off the R21 here in Gauteng as well as Cape Town, full of dogs that have driven their previous owners crazy. Very sad.

Her's the link. https://bordercollierescue.co.za/
    A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if youíre rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honde.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	584159

I have 3 border collies, Klara(13), Ruby(10 months) and Belle (2 years). Been living with Collies for 14 years.

My advice don't get only one then you have trouble, get 2 that can keep each other busy.

During winter I don't give them enough exercise but during the warmer months we go out.

Lovely dogs.
    Last edited by HannesS; 2020/08/13 at 09:54 AM.

Never known a border collie to be calm, spent many months at Wonderboom Military base during my 2 years in the old days, remember clearly the one and only house opposite the base main gates, the entire property was the diamond wire fence, they had a border collie that would run, permanently, around the perimeter of the fence, get to the starting point, have one solid bark, and start the process again, it just would not stop, I swear there was a 20cm deep trench dug from all the running...

Also had a business client that only owned border collies, she lived in a secure freestanding complex, probably around 500 square meters max ground space, they needed a ton of exercise and constant attention, which she gave, and still that was not enough..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Personally I will never understand people that want dogs that don't stay in the house.

Even more confusing is why someone would want a dog to leave it un-stimulated in the back yard.

Rather don't get a dog if that is your intention. They deserve better.

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Aviator_01 For This Useful Post:

my 2c
    As an ex Dog handler/instructor 20 + years experience (including 8 years in the sandpit) Border Collies is not the way to go..
    Guaranteed that he will act out his/her frustration on your garden and anything laying around.
    These are working dogs that require attention, stimulation and space.
    Peet Rademeyer

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8SE
    2007 SOLD Mercedes Vito 115CDI
    1998 Sold - Kia Sportage 4x4 Gen1
    2003 Sold - Mazda 2.5 DC 4x4
    1996 Sold - Isuzu 2.8 DT Reef

2008 BMW F800GS
    2006 Renault Modus 1.6 Auto (student car)
    2013 Hyundai i20 (Swambo's car)
    2014 Honda CBR125r (Boy's racer)
    2003 Jonway 125 (Girls racer)

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenZone For This Useful Post:

Get a Ridgeback.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_01 View Post
    Personally I will never understand people that want dogs that don't stay in the house.

Even more confusing is why someone would want a dog to leave it un-stimulated in the back yard.

Rather don't get a dog if that is your intention. They deserve better.
    I think I might have not expressed myself correctly.

We love our dogs and they get more attention than I do most of the time. Our Spaniels sleep in our bedroom and in the bed most of the time. The Collie will be part of the family and in the house most of the time, but we want a dog to sleep outside for that little bit of extra security.

I have a very active 5 year old and he will probably keep the dog somewhat busy.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast