Black market

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Black market

Default Black market

Do you support the black market? Maybe not keen to admit ? I for one wont but booze at inflated prices , heard someone asking 750 for a black label ( asume whisky) and 100 bucks odd for smokes . A restaurant we like to go to increased the tea price to 40 bucks , as they have to buy at a premium , I pay this , but only have 1 cup of tea, and they really need the customers support .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Default Re: Black market

If it really has to i will support it - but what is the black market really. Is it illegal sales with or without inflated prices, is it legal sales with an inflated price?
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

I dont smoke but heard of crazy prices people are paying for smokes....R2000 plus a carton!!!

Wine, in the Western Cape it seems to be a buyers market with farms selling wine at a discounted price.....some farms are struggling and desperately need the cash to keep the boat afloat.

Beer....not so easy to obtain.

No. And I would never pay R40 for a tea under any excuse, even when that tea would be pure whiskey like it used to be during prohibition.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Wine at good prices is easy to get here in the WC.
    In a lot of cases better than normal liquor store prices.

I can neither confirm nor deny support, it will be against the law to buy. sell and transport wine at the moment after all.

What is interesting is how blatantly people advertise - some do the "buy 2 wine glasses for R400 and get this box behind it included" but many just advertise very directly.

Have no need to buy from any black market.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

be careful with black market booze especially hard tack, eventually some fake stuff make its way in and that stuff can seriously damage your health.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

The prices for booze is rather insane. I don't get why people try to sell it at such high prices, heck, just double the price and you would still make a ton of money. I for one don't buy booze during the ban on sale. I do smoke, so you can make your own assumption there if you like , but I can tell you 1000 is way too much, and very few people pay that.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Smokes have come down to R550 a carton which isn't too bad now.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

I don't agree with the term "Black Market"

Black Market to me indicates illegal products or illegally acquired products.

Like when I can buy a bottle of booze for R200, but I buy for a R100 from a guy that works in the bottle store and stole it there while working.

If I buy the same product, from the same licenced liquor store, but just at a time when government says it is a no-no, that to me doesn't really constitute a "Black Market" transaction.

But enough about semantics, back to your question - Yes I would. I haven't yet, but I would.

I got a "Black Market" haircut from my barber while she was supposed to still be closed. I couldn't give two shits about the stupid government regulations, the woman that cuts my hair has 2 kids to feed, and it is her only income.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Smokes have come down to R550 a carton which isn't too bad now.
    Not a smoker, but yes that is wat happens. They find better ways of bringing it in with less loss to authorities, so more availability, more competitors and less stock loss allows for price to be driven down.

The market will always correct itself, it's the great thing about capitalism.

Although I have heard people saying that what is available now os terrible and very unhealthy, but that could just be from the regular manufacturers, scared their customers don't come back to their brand after lockdown ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannas View Post
    Not a smoker, but yes that is wat happens. They find better ways of bringing it in with less loss to authorities, so more availability, more competitors and less stock loss allows for price to be driven down.

The market will always correct itself, it's the great thing about capitalism.

Although I have heard people saying that what is available now os terrible and very unhealthy, but that could just be from the regular manufacturers, scared their customers don't come back to their brand after lockdown ends.
    They don't need to scare us. I cannot wait to go back to my preferred brand.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

I really hope that those who pay these high prices for non essentials are not the same who moan "No money".
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    They don't need to scare us. I cannot wait to go back to my preferred brand.
    My dad says the same

But remember lots of people out there have lost their livelihoods or sacrificed large percentages of their income. And when the lockdown is over and everybody is allowed to sell again, all this cheap crap will still be available, so their prices will drop drastically as people try to sell out of them. Lots of people are going to be tempted (or forced by finances) to buy those cheap imports. I do think it will hurt sales of the large legitimate brands in the long-run.

Paying R600 for case of windhoek..Thats R25 each.,Average restaurant asks R30-40 each...So still a bargain
    same with brandy/whiskey at R500 per bottle..Still cheap.....Compared to cigarettes which are waaaaaaaaay overpriced

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    ... . A restaurant we like to go to increased the tea price to 40 bucks , as they have to buy at a premium , I pay this , but only have 1 cup of tea, and they really need the customers support .
    Do you mean they sell tea for R40, or do you get a nice cold cup of "tea"?
    Last edited by JanB; 2020/08/12 at 09:23 AM.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I really hope that those who pay these high prices for non essentials are not the same who moan "No money".
    I stopped smoking some time after the start of lockdown. I'd planned to quit. I had stocked up prior to that, and my decision was that when my cigarettes, were done, I'd quit. And it has worked. I've not touched a cigarette since early April.

That said, I really understand a bunch of stuff regarding things. And I honestly feel that people are entitled to spend their money on what they want to spend it on. And complain about what they like as well.

I'd be dead honest and say that should I not have planned to quit and merely been forced to, everybody would have declared my smoking "essential". I would probably have killed a few people in the process of quitting.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

22. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Not your money

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Why?

As long as it is not someone who owes you money, how is it your concern?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kola For This Useful Post:

Kopdoek has force changed the market place forever.

"sin" commodities has moved from formal to informal sector and will not change back. When the markets open again , one day, the formal sectors will open again, but people that have lost jobs due to stupid Gov regulations, will find money in the informal sector.

Commodity prices will come down, informal market competition will rise, imports will rise and other crime types will follow.

Gov has created a market that they will not control. The genie is out the bottle.

Between tobacco and liquor the companies have already cancelled almost R 3 billion of planned investment.

Other market segments will follow.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast