3.2 Coolant Replacement

Default 3.2 Coolant Replacement

Hi guys

I am planning on replacing my engine coolant on my 2003 Gen 3 3.2 did Pajero. I want to refill the coolant as it's been slightly low since I've bought it, but don't know what they used. So for peace of mind I'll just want to know what I have pumping through my engine.

Now the big question, where can I find the correct procedure to do this?

1) Draining the radiator itself seems easy. Simply open the radiator cap and remove the drain plug.
    2) How do you drain the rest of the coolant in the system (engine block and pump)
    3) Then how do you refill the coolant?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Pierre

Default Re: 3.2 Coolant Replacement

Hi,

I only use the Mitsubishi coolant in my 3.2. My cooling system is spotless after 250k. Can't say the same for my dads 3.2 where an alternative spec was recently used, subsequently degraded completely in 20k or so and now there is the first sign of "rust" in his radiator. It was spotless for the previous 360k.

There are very few things I don't use OEM parts for on my Paj, they last very long and they work. They recently changed the colour and spec of the coolant slightly though so cant actually remember what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfEaFDo9Omk I did not watch the video but it should have what you are looking for regarding the procedure. Make sure to get all the air out of the system after the flush or else you will run the risk of overheating.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi,

I only use the Mitsubishi coolant in my 3.2. My cooling system is spotless after 250k. Can't say the same for my dads 3.2 where an alternative spec was recently used, subsequently degraded completely in 20k or so and now there is the first sign of "rust" in his radiator. It was spotless for the previous 360k.

There are very few things I don't use OEM parts for on my Paj, they last very long and they work. They recently changed the colour and spec of the coolant slightly though so cant actually remember what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfEaFDo9Omk I did not watch the video but it should have what you are looking for regarding the procedure. Make sure to get all the air out of the system after the flush or else you will run the risk of overheating.

Cheers
    Thanks so much for the reply and info. I'll order some today from the dealers.

When I still had the Di-D, I used Caltex / Havoline Xtended Life Coolant.

When I sold the engine the block and radiator was "as new".
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    When I still had the Di-D, I used Caltex / Havoline Xtended Life Coolant.

When I sold the engine the block and radiator was "as new".
    I've only heard good things about the Caltex product. Busy getting quotes now, so will let you guys know what the prices are. Unfortunately it's something that I have to take into account at this stage.

Do you guys think it is wise te replace the thermostat while I'm at it?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by domkiki View Post
    Do you guys think it is wise te replace the thermostat while I'm at it?
    Yes, but get genuine part from Mitsu.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by domkiki View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply and info. I'll order some today from the dealers.
    I do not know Gen 3 Pajero's. But on my Gen 4 there was a choice between a green variety and a blue one. First ensure which of these is currently in your vehicle before you order.

Anyway, if it is some non-OE coolant (or very much deteriorated OE coolant), I would go for a complete flush using many litres of distilled water, until it comes out clear. I have learnt years ago not to try loosen the block drain bolts, because they easily snap off due to rust, particularly in an older engine. So, just flush out and then start adding the OE coolant into the radiator, let the engine run until coolant circulates (thermostat opens), remembering to also open your heater controls fully. Essentially I just replace the radiator coolant until the colour becomes that of new coolant (as little diluted by remaining distilled water as possible) or as near as possible. It is an expensive exercise because OE coolant is not cheap, but you do not need to do it again for probably the next 60,000 kms.

I recently did this on a Mazda MX5 and discovered the OE coolant was good for 10 years, so it is best to use them. As stated here, coolant mixing is not a wise thing.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    I do not know Gen 3 Pajero's. But on my Gen 4 there was a choice between a green variety and a blue one. First ensure which of these is currently in your vehicle before you order.

Anyway, if it is some non-OE coolant (or very much deteriorated OE coolant), I would go for a complete flush using many litres of distilled water, until it comes out clear. I have learnt years ago not to try loosen the block drain bolts, because they easily snap off due to rust, particularly in an older engine. So, just flush out and then start adding the OE coolant into the radiator, let the engine run until coolant circulates (thermostat opens), remembering to also open your heater controls fully. Essentially I just replace the radiator coolant until the colour becomes that of new coolant (as little diluted by remaining distilled water as possible) or as near as possible. It is an expensive exercise because OE coolant is not cheap, but you do not need to do it again for probably the next 60,000 kms.

I recently did this on a Mazda MX5 and discovered the OE coolant was good for 10 years, so it is best to use them. As stated here, coolant mixing is not a wise thing.
    Thanks for the info!

I don't think that it is OEM coolant, or at least I can't assume that it is. I have to treat it as though it isn't. I have two concerns:

1) I know that coolants should be mixed, but in practice this is inevitable to some degree. If you're not removing and flushing each individual component of the cooling system there's bound to be some left somewhere?
    2) If I flush out with distilled water and then adding 50/50 coolant, I will probably never be left with a real 50/50 coolant in my system. Unless I go through 20 liters+ of coolant.

I've also seen that some guys remove the thermostat for the flushing and refilling part. This makes sense as you don't need to wait for the thermostat to open thus it can be done much quicker. What do you guys think?

Yes, my advice was for lower mileage cars not needing thermostat replacement, so no open heart surgery at all ... remains the easiest. And yes, you will probably have to buy twice the amount of coolant needed for a full capacity replacement, but that will for sure be enough to get 90% of the distilled water out, getting you to within spitting distance of the optimal mix.

Last time I did such a type of flush, it took me most of the day, filling, running the engine, then draining again, but as said, you do not have to repeat this often.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post: