2017 Ford Ranger handling issues

Default 2017 Ford Ranger handling issues - SOLVED, but WHY?

Hi,

i have some handling issues with my Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS DC 4x4 AUTO. Some specs of interest, the vehicle is fitted with OME suspension, 45000km, Bridgestone Dueler tires.

I had a tire failure on a dirt road. I ordered 2 new Dueler tires and had them installed on the vehicle (rear). The tires are identical to the front tires, except the front ones are about 50% life.

After the tires were fitted, balanced, i opted to do wheel alignment. This is where the fun starts... At higher speeds (100-120kmh) the vehicle becomes unstable since I have to constantly manage very small steering inputs to keep it straight. Also when passing other vehicles, when getting back into my lane it feels like the wheels are "biting" a bit and pulls it to the side, almost like the feeling of over-steering. Also, on the dirt road the vehicle is hard to control and I then use 4x4 to assist in keeping it straight.

The tire shop is telling me that it should be a bad shock absorber. I do not agree as this issue started ONLY AFTER i fitted the new tires. Before there were nothing wrong. Only when I left the shop this issue started. Also, OME suspension is guaranteed for 3 years with unlimited kms.

My question is if there might be a problem with the wheel alignment? The shop put it back on their aligment machine and confirmed it to be correct. My questions are:

1. Might there be an issue with there alignment machine which they are unaware of?
    2. What should the values be for the caster, camber, toe-in/out?
    3. Are the values the same for the 4x2, 4x4 and a vehicle fitted with an OME suspension?

What are your thoughts and suggestions and what are the correct values? Are these values a preset on the alignment suite or does the alignment operator/mechanic needs to put it into the alignment suite manually?
    Last edited by Induna; 2020/08/11 at 07:48 PM.
    Jacques van der Westhuizen
    2017 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS Auto DC 4x4
    2016 Ford Ecosport Titanium

Default Re: 2017 Ford Ranger handling issues

My dad's ranger had similar symptons. It would snake all over the road after a bump and TC would activate. Bad on gravel with corrugations. It turned out to be a broken left rear spring. Apparently it is not that uncommon. Maybe take a look.

Have you looked at the front shocks yourself. I had an issue where it snapped off 3 times on a hired vehicle (3 consecutive vehicles with upgraded shocks) at the bottom weld. Shock fell onto axle and was supported so it was actually not that obvious. Vehicle still drove fine.

Thanks I will have a look. How do I test the shocks without removing them from the vehicle? Note that this issue started only after new tires were fitted and wheel alignment was performed.

Try moving the new tyres to the front and vice versa and see how it behaves, when trouble shooting a problem like this start with the cheapest solutions first.

i would look at your rear springs, hangars and shocks as start as well. The rear suspension has no "adjustments" for alignment so i dont think what would be a contributing factors.

Also please post your alignment report for comment.
    Curent: VW Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: VW G6 GTi DSG

Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (Stolen but not forgotten)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto (Sold but not forgotten)
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw at the wheels! (Sold but not forgotten)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kish2604 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    Try moving the new tyres to the front and vice versa and see how it behaves, when trouble shooting a problem like this start with the cheapest solutions first.

i would look at your rear springs, hangars and shocks as start as well. The rear suspension has no "adjustments" for alignment so i dont think what would be a contributing factors.

Also please post your alignment report for comment.
    Thanks. the tire shop said the printer was inop and could not print a report. I will take it to another shop for re-alignment and then ensure that I get a printed report.

could the the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres not also be playing a part here?

if the front tyres are 50% done, they will have around an 8mm difference in diameter to the back tyres and as such a real difference in rolling circumference. How will this affect the drive train and handling, especially in 4x4 mode.
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DouglasN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    could the the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres not also be playing a part here?

if the front tyres are 50% done, they will have around an 8mm difference in diameter to the back tyres and as such a real difference in rolling circumference. How will this affect the drive train and handling, especially in 4x4 mode.
    I hear you. but... if both front one's are the same and both rear one's are the same it should not be a problem. When I puncture the old tire, I installed the standard spare wheel (which is much smaller than my current tires) and matched it with a second standard spare wheel I borrowed (to get the rear wheels the same size while I awaited delivery of the new tires). I drove to Cape Town and back (from Kathu) and had zero handling issues. This only occurred after I installed the 2 new tires on the rear.

So i had a similar issue after fitting a set of Grabber MTs. Would hit a bump at high speed and bakkie would give a serious twitch. That was with brand new shocks, torsion bars and leaf springs.

I pulled over to air down when hitting some gravel and noticed my tyres were pumped to 3.4bar!! That was from the tyre shop. Went down to normal and the twitching stopped completely.

Check you tyre pressures.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    I would also recommend doing this first. Fitting new tyres on the rear usually causes some funny handling at first. Handling is always better when fitting new at the front.
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD XLT 4X4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nieljooste For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2017 Ford Ranger handling issues - SOLVED

you were spot on. I test drove the vehicle and it remained unstable at high speed. So I decided to swop the wheels. I put the new wheels in the front and the old wheels at the back. Keep in mind the old wheels are about 50% worn, so about 1/2' diameter smaller. I test drove it again at high speed and now the vehicle is rock solid, as before.

Now my big question... WHY does it have something to do with the ESC or skid control? Maybe the rear driving wheels sensed that the front wheels turned faster and interpreted it as skidding? (although I did not see the skid light illuminating) So the vehicle is happy with smaller wheels at the back but not the front? Again why?

Is there anyone in the know why this would be the case?

The difference in handling is as clear as day from night...

there are sensors on each wheel that are used for the abs and traction control, they will be picking up that one set of wheels is turning faster than the other and then the computers are trying to compensate.

I don't know enough about the actual systems but I expect that there would be some internal rules for 4x2 mode and then also for 4x4 mode. What you were experiencing is the result of the system trying to manage the difference.

I think there might be enough of a difference in those tyres that in 4x4 mode you are causing some stress in the drive train, the only long term solution is 2 more new tyres I am afraid.
    Last edited by DouglasN; 2020/08/12 at 08:57 AM.
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.

there are sensors on each wheel that are used for the abs and traction control, they will be picking up that one set of wheels is turning faster than the other and then the computers are trying to compensate.

I don't know enough about the actual systems but I expect that there would be some internal rules for 4x2 mode and then also for 4x4 mode. What you were experiencing is the result of the system trying to manage the difference.

I think there might be enough of a difference in those tyres that in 4x4 mode you are causing some stress in the drive train, the only long term solution is 2 more new tyres I am afraid.
    Yes I will probably get 2 more tires. What bothers me is why did it react this way with the smaller wheel at the front, but not when it is at the back? There will still be a difference in wheel rpm for the same distance irrespective if they smaller wheels are at the front or back.

Default Re: 2017 Ford Ranger handling issues - SOLVED, but WHY?

My personal opinion:
    I don't think the electronics will interfere with as small a discrepancy as 50% tyre wear.
    I am convinced that the best grip must by on the rear wheels. If full tread has less grip than 50% tread (which is conceivable, if the deeper tread leads to more movement), then swapping the front and rear is a good option and is cheap and easy to do.
    But, my money is on the wheel alignment that changed the setup. I have experienced that in the past.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2017 Ford Ranger handling issues - SOLVED, but WHY?

In my opinion it's got nothing to do with electronics or circumference or wheel alignment or any of that. New tyres on the rear tend to cause funny handling as I said above, I don't know why, it just does, and that is my experience on a 4x4 and 4x2 vehicle. For this and other reasons I always put the new tyres on the front. If you really want to fit them on the rear, the funny handling will go away after a while, asof die band homself eers wil inloop.

Maybe you can run the new ones at the front for 10k or so, and then move them to the back again. They should behave normal then.
    Last edited by nieljooste; 2020/08/12 at 08:18 PM.
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD XLT 4X4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nieljooste For This Useful Post: