2.8 GD6 questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2.8 GD6 questions

Hi Chaps

A mate and I recently purchased identical Fortuners and are both new to the Toyota brand. I had wondered about the following, is this normal or not really?

1. When switching the ignition on we both felt our batteries were a little flat, it almost sounds like both are struggling to start, they swing over 1st time, it just does not sound as urgent as our other vehicles if that makes sense, is this just a Toyota thing? Both went through a 40 point check at Toyota and we have been told the batteries are fine.
    2. Do you guys leave your vehicle idling when you stop for 10 minutes for instance before you take off again of in these modern engines is this no longer necessary?
    3. Finally, is there a setting to leave the "follow me home" lights on for 30 seconds for instance when you lock the vehicle?

All the best and thank you.
    Jayson

2016 Toyota Fortuner GD6 Auto
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

Default Re: 2.8 GD6 questions

I can only speak from my experience whether its correct or not.
    The battery thing....on my 3d4d it sounded urgent as you put it but with my new 2.8 seemed like the battery was flat. I putt a new battery in as my old one was old and on its way out . I put the bigger battery in and it was better but not like the d4d was. Since new battery much better.
    How old is the battery? Have you done a load test on it.?
    With idling when I stop after a drive I dont always let it idle before turning off (again only my experience) the manual says you should let it idle for 1 minute before turning off. When starting in the morning I idle for about a minute( but not because I have to only because I'm waiting for the gate to open and putting the radio on etc). I dont "race" it until the temp is up though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shaggy For This Useful Post:

I have the 2.8 Hilux and found the battery not up to the job.
    I replaced it with a 90 amp hr Delco and it is 100's now.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

My battery does the same. So glad others brought this issue up. Mine is 3 years old bought brand new. Going in for 50 000 service end of month, not happy about the battery at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ezee rider For This Useful Post:

I think Shaggy said it all.
    Had one myself, but never worried about it.
    Take it to a battery supplier and let them check it out.
    I would recommend you to read that 800 page handbook page by page.

Enjoy that wonderful car.
    Ryk van Renen

On the follow me home lights. just flash your brights after switching off the vehicle and the lights will stay on for 30 seconds

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

For interest sake....How long did your batteries last. Mine is a 2017 model, so we 3 years now, will take it to a battery centre and see what they say. Do you think this could fall under warranty or not a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    For interest sake....How long did your batteries last
    As I precaution I replaced my April 2016's model battery earlier this year, so you 'should' be fine for another year (or more?) (Tests show battery was still fairly OK, but the winter might have killed it)

Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    Do you think this could fall under warranty or not a chance?
    Don't think so.

BTW - the 'slow cranking' phenomenon was present from the start, ok I mean from the beginning. Even with the brand new battery fitted it still does not sound very confidence inspiring, but all is good it seems.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Mine is a 2016 and changed the battery 3 months ago. I doubt warranty would cover it batteries generally have 2 year warranty. Some cheaper ones only a year .
    If you change it put the bigger one in with bigger cranking amps. And bigger amp hours. The price difference was small.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    ...BTW - the 'slow cranking' phenomenon was present from the start, ok I mean from the beginning. Even with the brand new battery fitted it still does not sound very confidence inspiring, but all is good it seems.
    Mine takes a bit longer to crank in winter than in summer, but to me it is noticably faster to crank than a D4d.

Batteries are excluded from warranty items.

On the OP's question 2. No I never let it idle when stopping and I never let it idle in the morning either. I start it and drive, obviously lower revs until it has warmed up.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/08/11 at 09:09 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Hi guys, thanx for the replies. The slow cranking issue only started a few months ago. Was never like that. Bakkie sleeps in a warm garage every night, so its not the cold. Just sounds and feels like it is on its way out. Will go test today still and rather upgrade to a bigger one.

Just FYI I put the 562 in and paid R1800. They first quoted about R2400. Haggle a bit.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shaggy For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb Re: 2.8 GD6 questions

When I drive down to the coast, I normally idle for 3 min. when stopping, before switching off the GD-6. I know many do not do this, but I just feel the turbo works hard on the open road, especially towing a trailer.

WOW guys, thanks for all of this, makes perfect sense. I will get the battery looked at.

Brights for the follow me home lights, just brilliant!!!

2016 Toyota Fortuner GD6 Auto
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

I bought my wife one just before the lockdown and this weekend I drove it for the first time while I was in Durban. Hers is a 4x4 auto which i must say seems very nice in general. I did not notice anything about the starter being sluggish. I was towing my boat from its storage in Gale street to the Ski Boat club in Dbn and I must say I was pretty impressed. It is much easier than shifting a manual all the time, although i have no issues doing the same route with my amarok.

We cant use vehicles to launch at the moment so no idea how it would do on the beach with the boat. Only thing I do notice is that it sits down quite a lot with the boat on the hitch which I don't really notice on the amarok. I don't think I will do anything about this as this will seldom be used for towing duties and it is still fine over bumps and such with the boat on the back. This is not a very testing tow route as it is virtually all dead flat.

Things I did not really fancy. The carpets seem very cheap and crappy for a vehicle in this class. They are pretty much in line with what I have in the VW up! which is a cheap crappy (actually not very crappy) car. My amarok has much nicer carpeting and it is a bakkie. This may have something to do with the general sense of refinement. Its not awful, and is actually very nice once, well on the move, but it does sound a little agricultural getting up to speed. A little more acoustic insulation would probably help a lot with the NVH.

The other thing, which I really don't like is that the gearbox downshifts all the time. My son was driving it down fields hill and the engine was screaming. I thought he was being a pillock and buggering around with the paddle shift, but then I went down the same hill, i noticed that as soon as you touch the brakes on a downhill it downshifts. My wife drives it with the cruise control and then it practically bounces off the rev limiter on steeper downhills.

I would just prefer it to drive like a normal auto and let you decide when you want to gear down. This was all in eco mode, by the way, which I never felt the need to change out of. The other issue, and it is a bit nit picky, is that the gears do seem to hunt a lot. This is driving on very light throttle openings and generally pottering about. I would expect it to lock up the torque convertor and stick with a gear a little longer, but it seems to very seldom lock up. This may well be me driving it badly and not understanding the vehicle properly.

Overall, I must say that I am very happy with it. We fitted some Thule roof racks to deal with surf boards and they are highly recommend. I have front runner on my amarok and they make a hell of a racket. I don't hear anything from the Thule's. It deals with beach duties and swallows a lot of gear when needed. We have not had to stuff any fish in the back yet, and I would really prefer the amarok for this.

This wagon replaced a c class merc and actually gives better fuel consumption, holds enormous amounts more stuff and my kids can actually fit into the vehicles unlike the cClass where they had they knees around their ears.

My wife is also warming to it quite a lot now.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Just FYI I put the 562 in and paid R1800. They first quoted about R2400. Haggle a bit.
    I just had to fit a battery to my amarok which was around R2300. I normally just go to dixon, but I thought let me just get a quote from the VW parts guys for their economy line. They were about R300 cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I am not sure if Toyota have a similar program, but with VW Economy parts you can get the same OEM parts a lot cheaper if your car is more than 5 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I just had to fit a battery to my amarok which was around R2300. I normally just go to dixon, but I thought let me just get a quote from the VW parts guys for their economy line. They were about R300 cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I am not sure if Toyota have a similar program, but with VW Economy parts you can get the same OEM parts a lot cheaper if your car is more than 5 yrs old.
    I know Toyota does offer discounts on services for cars over 5 years.(not sure about parts).Toyota did quote around R2000 for the battery but couldn't get the 72ah . So I took that quote to battery centere (who supply) alberton Toyota and thats why they reduced the price for me. The dealers do on occasion get good prices but pays to shop around and use one quote against the other

The other thing, which I really don't like is that the gearbox downshifts all the time. My son was driving it down fields hill and the engine was screaming. I thought he was being a pillock and buggering around with the paddle shift, but then I went down the same hill, i noticed that as soon as you touch the brakes on a downhill it downshifts. My wife drives it with the cruise control and then it practically bounces off the rev limiter on steeper downhills.

I would just prefer it to drive like a normal auto and let you decide when you want to gear down. This was all in eco mode, by the way, which I never felt the need to change out of. The other issue, and it is a bit nit picky, is that the gears do seem to hunt a lot. This is driving on very light throttle openings and generally pottering about. I would expect it to lock up the torque convertor and stick with a gear a little longer, but it seems to very seldom lock up. This may well be me driving it badly and not understanding the vehicle properly.
    Nope, you're not driving it badly. Mine is the same and it drives me nuts. I'm not interested in chipping it for power or any of that other nonsense, but I'm seriously looking for a chip or remap to solve that gear down issue as well as to lockup the TC in all gears over 80km/h. Solving just those 2 issues would make it perfect.
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

I have the same issue when driving down fields Hill, 2.4 Auto in eco mode.
    Speaking of battery replacement, recently replaced the stock battery in mine, got 4 years out of it. Died at home so used the Toyota Road Side assist who sent AA to test and replace. Pretty quick and easy, was R1750 and the amp hours was more than the stock battery (cannot remember off the top of my head what it is though)

I bought my wife one just before the lockdown and this weekend I drove it for the first time while I was in Durban. Hers is a 4x4 auto which i must say seems very nice in general. I did not notice anything about the starter being sluggish. I was towing my boat from its storage in Gale street to the Ski Boat club in Dbn and I must say I was pretty impressed. It is much easier than shifting a manual all the time, although i have no issues doing the same route with my amarok.

We cant use vehicles to launch at the moment so no idea how it would do on the beach with the boat. Only thing I do notice is that it sits down quite a lot with the boat on the hitch which I don't really notice on the amarok. I don't think I will do anything about this as this will seldom be used for towing duties and it is still fine over bumps and such with the boat on the back. This is not a very testing tow route as it is virtually all dead flat.

Things I did not really fancy. The carpets seem very cheap and crappy for a vehicle in this class. They are pretty much in line with what I have in the VW up! which is a cheap crappy (actually not very crappy) car. My amarok has much nicer carpeting and it is a bakkie. This may have something to do with the general sense of refinement. Its not awful, and is actually very nice once, well on the move, but it does sound a little agricultural getting up to speed. A little more acoustic insulation would probably help a lot with the NVH.

Overall, I must say that I am very happy with it. We fitted some Thule roof racks to deal with surf boards and they are highly recommend. I have front runner on my amarok and they make a hell of a racket. I don't hear anything from the Thule's. It deals with beach duties and swallows a lot of gear when needed. We have not had to stuff any fish in the back yet, and I would really prefer the amarok for this.

This wagon replaced a c class merc and actually gives better fuel consumption, holds enormous amounts more stuff and my kids can actually fit into the vehicles unlike the cClass where they had they knees around their ears.

My wife is also warming to it quite a lot now.

What I do on the down hills is shift from D into Manual mode - it shifts down and is unaffected when you apply brakes. Works perfectly

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Hill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast