Mass Photo Resizing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mass Photo Resizing

Sounds like you need to keep history (photo and text) of your trees. Would it work if you could snap a photo and enter text on your phone?

If so then it would be a nice project for me to build you a mobile app to do all of this. Things are quiet on the job front and Ive started cross skilling to mobile app development.

If not, then Id also suggest IrfanView

OK. I've tried playing with Irfanview. It's much too complicated and frustrating for just wanting to resize a batch of photos. It's not intuitive and has lots of acronyms like MRUDS and stuff with $ signs. Huge menus with many selections that I don't have a clue what any of them do. Very user unfriendly. And it went and changed my settings menu without me allowing it to. All I want to do is:

1. Select a batch of photos (5MB or more per pic)
    2. Resize the entire batch at once to a few hundred kB per pic.

That's all I need. I battle to use the camera itself. I just set all to auto and take pics. The thick manual that the camera came with gets ignored because it's got just too much.

Can anyone here give me the Irfanview clicks to do just this? I don't need the functionality, language, settings and choices of a professional editing suite.

I'm going to try some of the others suggested.

On Windows there is a little app tha you right click on the picture, or multiples, the it pulls up a sizing screen. Pick what you need and fire.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    OK. I've tried playing with Irfanview. It's much too complicated and frustrating for just wanting to resize a batch of photos. It's not intuitive and has lots of acronyms like MRUDS and stuff with $ signs. Huge menus with many selections that I don't have a clue what any of them do. Very user unfriendly. And it went and changed my settings menu without me allowing it to. All I want to do is:

1. Select a batch of photos (5MB or more per pic)
    2. Resize the entire batch at once to a few hundred kB per pic.

That's all I need. I battle to use the camera itself. I just set all to auto and take pics. The thick manual that the camera came with gets ignored because it's got just too much.

Can anyone here give me the Irfanview clicks to do just this? I don't need the functionality, language, settings and choices of a professional editing suite.

I'm going to try some of the others suggested.
    That is why I suggest that you try Jpeg Compressor. I've done batches of 500 and more photos with very little input from myself. Think it's about 3 step from selecting the photos to leaving it to do it's thing. An average weekend at a race or rally I've shot easily 3000 photos.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I second! Free, easy and works like a charm!
    Excellent. Just tried Faststone and got it right and done first time.

Paul, I'm going to try your Jpeg Compressor now too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    On Windows there is a little app tha you right click on the picture, or multiples, the it pulls up a sizing screen. Pick what you need and fire.
    Thanks Henris. I have used that but I want to resize many pics at once. With the Paint edit app you have to edit each photo. I have over 600 trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    That is why I suggest that you try Jpeg Compressor. I've done batches of 500 and more photos with very little input from myself. Think it's about 3 step from selecting the photos to leaving it to do it's thing. An average weekend at a race or rally I've shot easily 3000 photos.
    Thanks Paul, but it's going to have to be Faststone because:

The FREE version of JPEG Compressor has some functional limitations. You cannot use the Batch Processing and Command-Line modes. The purchase of the license (registration) is required to get the fully functional, licensed version of JPEG Compressor.
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2020/08/14 at 08:21 PM.

Excellent. Just tried Faststone and got it right and done first time.

Paul, I'm going to try your Jpeg Compressor now too.
    Have a good look at all the tabs to batch convert as well as the advance button when converting. Quite astonishing what this freewhare offers.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

As above Geertsema

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

I use bulkresize.com online free of charge. Do approx 50 pics at a time. Reduction size is selectable as a percentage of original.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

Hi guys, thanks for reminding me of this old program in my backup files!!

This predates windows, and goes back to a DOS world. But it works perfectly, without any of the additional "junk" that comes with the modern GUI programs.

It is simply called PhotoResizexxxx.exe (PhotoResize640.exe inside the zip file) where the xxxx in the name you can change, and refers to the width in pixels that you want the smaller image to be. The height will get adjusted proportionately.

So, download, unzip, park somewhere on your desktop, rename to PhotoResize640.exe, or PhotoResize1024.exe or whatever you choose.

Then simply drag and drop your photos on to it. Single files, multiple files at the same time, you choose.......

You will see a DOS box open and your resized photos will be in the same directory as your original photos, with the xxxx width value you chose appended to the name.

PS: no virus! I thought I should add this!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RiaanJ; 2020/08/15 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Have a good look at all the tabs to batch convert as well as the advance button when converting. Quite astonishing what this freewhare offers.
    Used those the first time I tried it. Very easy to use and intuitive. The best for my needs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JBX View Post
    I use bulkresize.com online free of charge. Do approx 50 pics at a time. Reduction size is selectable as a percentage of original.
    Thanks for this JBX. Unfortunately I have a radio internet here in the Karoo (No ADSL nor fibre available). So it takes long to to upload the pics and downloads them into the downloads folder. FastStone is embedded on my laptop and converts them rapidly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for reminding me of this old program in my backup files!!

This predates windows, and goes back to a DOS world. But it works perfectly, without any of the additional "junk" that comes with the modern GUI programs.

It is simply called PhotoResizexxxx.exe (PhotoResize640.exe inside the zip file) where the xxxx in the name you can change, and refers to the width in pixels that you want the smaller image to be. The height will get adjusted proportionately.

So, download, unzip, park somewhere on your desktop, rename to PhotoResize640.exe, or PhotoResize1024.exe or whatever you choose.

Then simply drag and drop your photos on to it. Single files, multiple files at the same time, you choose.......

You will see a DOS box open and your resized photos will be in the same directory as your original photos, with the xxxx width value you chose appended to the name.

PS: no virus! I thought I should add this!!!!
    Hi Riaan. I predate DOS. I have done geek stuff like programming using Basic on a Sinclair ZX81 when I was young and curious. I could work in DOS 30 years ago but have had no need to since then as I now use computers as management tools and have lost all inclination to do the geek stuff. I even detest remotes with their plenty buttons as inadvertently pressing something unaware of what was pressed results in consequences that take a day to resolve. I just have no patience for this stuff.

I wouldn't have a clue how to unzip anything except for my trousers or jacket these days. That's why techies get paid these days and I use the easiest tech stuff for my needs. It has to be intuitive now or else I forget how it works next month. So far FastStone meets all my needs.

I have no fear of viruses. That's why I pay Messrs Kaspersky R400 a year to ensure my computer stays clean.
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2020/08/15 at 05:06 PM.

Hi Riaan. I predate DOS.

I wouldn't have a clue how to unzip anything.
    Nee man, jy's nog 'n youngster! Ek sou graag die klein .exe program hier op laai maar die forum verbied dit. Kan iemand dalk help?

Okay, hier is 'n plan. Die attachment is die werklike program, net die extension is verander na .zip
    So verander (rename) net die extension na .exe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    Okay, hier is 'n plan. Die attachment is die werklike program, net die extension is verander na .zip
    So verander (rename) net die extension na .exe
    Dankie Riaan. Maar ek kry die volgende:

Compressed folder error. Windows cannot open the file.

Soos ek seg, ek sukkel nie met geek goed nie. Dit werk of first time of dis nie vir my nie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2