2020 Jimny Shocks

Default 2020 Jimny Shocks

My daughter bought a new Jimny.
    Has 241 km on the clock.

First thing is the rear is already hanging to the right, 5mm lower on the right than the left.

Other thing is I am not impressed with the shocks. If I sway the car at about 80 km/h it keeps on swinging for about 2 to 3 cycles before it stops swaying.
    Pretty much the same behaviour as a car with worn shocks. I removed the shocks, they are KYB gas shocks and they feel a bit pap, but then again I am used to working with Hilux, Cruiser and Willys shocks, do not know how tight a Jimny shock must be.

I considered replacing the shocks but all the spare shops we phoned this week say they do not stock shocks for the New Jimny yet.
    That is one of the reasons I removed them today, to measure them.
    I think they might be the same size as the previous Jimny.

Is there anybody with a shocks catalog with sizes or with a set of previous Jimny shocks so we can compare?

Rear:

KYB 41700-78R00
    Length centre to centre = 450

Eye/Eye - ID of eye is 12.1mm

thickness of eye is 32mm
    Travel = 150mm
    Dimensions of vehicle itself:

When rested on floor with shock removed:
    centre to centre is 415mm

Max length is 500mm

Front:

KYB 41600-78R00

Eye/stud

Length centre of eye to bottom of stud = 410

Stud is 10mm thick and 50mm long

Travel = 130mm
    The stud has a bush on it.

Bush OD is 13.6 and is 28mm long and fits the 10mm stud

Rubbers for top mount on the bush is ID=14 OD=30 and thickness = 14

Size of bottom eye is the same as the rear shocks.

Dimensions on vehicle itself:

Centre of eye to bottom of top mounting is 365mm

Max length is 460mm
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4 2700i, 'n groene met swart tyres
    19 Voertsheck Jeep CJ5 Built on 1984 Nissan Safari mechanics
    2011 Touareg 4.2 V8 Diesel.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past 4 years)
    1963 Willys Traveller

Default Re: 2020 Jimny Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by pietpetoors View Post
    Has 241 km on the clock.

First thing is the rear is already hanging to the right, 5mm lower on the right than the left.

Other thing is I am not impressed with the shocks. If I sway the car at about 80 km/h it keeps on swinging for about 2 to 3 cycles before it stops swaying.
    Pretty much the same behaviour as a car with worn shocks. I removed the shocks, they are KYB gas shocks and they feel a bit pap, but then again I am used to working with Hilux, Cruiser and Willys shocks, do not know how tight a Jimny shock must be.

I considered replacing the shocks but all the spare shops we phoned this week say they do not stock shocks for the New Jimny yet.

Is there anybody with a shocks catalog with sizes or with a set of previous Jimny shocks so we can compare?

Rear:

KYB 41700-78R00

thickness of eye is 32mm
    Travel = 150mm

Max length is 500mm

Front:

KYB 41600-78R00

Eye/stud

Travel = 130mm

Max length is 460mm
    Previous gen 3 Jimny had pin/loop type front shocks while the gen 4 has a pin/pin setup up front. Lenghts I only have for lifted applications but the Gen 4 fronts are 10mm shorter than the Gen 3 while the Gen4 rears are some 15mm longer than the Gen 3. Not a good fit then.

For the sag/lean, as a start pick up an Emu trim packer for the RHS front from the Somerset/Paarden Island MW or I can send them to you via Louis/Dawie in your Centurion store. Even dealers are resorting to packers given the low cost of resolving client complaints. If the front one alone does not fix the lean, chuck one in the RHS rear also.

Proper shocks (and ideally coils) should solve that pogo stick effect.

Most probably a stupid question, but with your new Jimny, and only 200 + kilometres covered, surely you should consider this as factory fault or warranty case? I'll be back to the dealer so quickly, they won't know what hit them!!!
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nico Wassermann For This Useful Post:

KYB is a good brand.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Wassermann View Post
    Most probably a stupid question, but with your new Jimny, and only 200 + kilometres covered, surely you should consider this as factory fault or warranty case? I'll be back to the dealer so quickly, they won't know what hit them!!!
    If he removed it, warranty is ka-poof!
    Sent from my iPhone

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    If he removed it, warranty is ka-poof!
    Agreed! But, I always revert back to the dealer first .... same subject, but different application. My caravan had a similar problem and after 2 years still got the manufacturer to accept responsibility - now that is good service!
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Wassermann View Post
    Agreed! But, I always revert back to the dealer first .... same subject, but different application. My caravan had a similar problem and after 2 years still got the manufacturer to accept responsibility - now that is good service!
    Agree, take back to dealer. Don’t remove shocks.
    Sent from my iPhone

Why do you remove the shocks to test them? the car is still under warrenty?
    Omly reason to remove is to directly replace with Gabriel safari Hdp.
    Use the same as the gen3 (jb43).

no spares shop will say they keep gen3 or gen4 parts for it. cause it is not a Toyota or a vw where you can get parts via a kfc drive through.

google Search for the Gabriel catalog, you will find the part number there, or just contact De-sol and he will supply with gabriel safari hdp's, if you are still not happy with your Suzuki dealer's response.

Oh.. and definitely do not tell them you removed the shocks your self.. that is good bye suspension warranty.

Explain your problem to dealership workshop foreman. and also go and test another Jimny..
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2020/08/10 at 05:03 PM.

Last week we chatted to 3 clients with new Jimnies and all experience the same.

So dealers will either tell me it is normal and nothing wrong or they will replace it with the same shocks.

But I guess you are right, we should first try them and see what they say.
    1963 Willys Traveller

Quote Originally Posted by locklaw View Post
    Previous gen 3 Jimny had pin/loop type front shocks while the gen 4 has a pin/pin setup up front. Lenghts I only have for lifted applications but the Gen 4 fronts are 10mm shorter than the Gen 3 while the Gen4 rears are some 15mm longer than the Gen 3. Not a good fit then.

For the sag/lean, as a start pick up an Emu trim packer for the RHS front from the Somerset/Paarden Island MW or I can send them to you via Louis/Dawie in your Centurion store. Even dealers are resorting to packers given the low cost of resolving client complaints. If the front one alone does not fix the lean, chuck one in the RHS rear also.

Proper shocks (and ideally coils) should solve that pogo stick effect.
    Not correct. The shocks on the gen 4 are the same configuration as on the gen 3. The lengths may be different.
    Last edited by saxj; 2020/08/11 at 09:00 AM.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by pietpetoors View Post
    Has 241 km on the clock.

Rear:

KYB 41700-78R00

thickness of eye is 32mm
    Travel = 150mm

Max length is 500mm

Front:

KYB 41600-78R00

Eye/stud

Travel = 130mm

Max length is 460mm
    A lot of us have had good results with the setup from Des-Sol. I don't think it is even worth the effort to try and get Suzuki to fix it.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

As expected.
    Took it to Suzuki today , they phoned and said nothing wrong I can collect. I asked the mechanic if he loosened the shocks and felt how stiff they are or if it had any play, he said no need to do it. He checked, they not leaking oil and normally if something wrong with the shock it will leak oil. Point, end of story, visual inspection is enough.

Another two arguments were:
    1. It is normal because they all do it.
    2. It is normal because it is a 4x4.

He cannot tell me exactly what part of warranty will fall away when I replace shocks and springs but will find out and let me know.

Sadly car is going to its new home in Pretoria next week. I hoped to sort it out before the two ladies take the long road back.

Will replace shocks and coils some time while it is in Pretoria, am now very curious to feel the difference with proper shocks and coils.
    1963 Willys Traveller

Experienced the same in my girlfriend's Jimny, loaded on the N4 at different speeds and it scared her so much that she wanted to get rid of the Jimny! Then I searched the internet and realized that it is the stability control and not the shocks.......

Suzuki Jimny stability control 'phantom skid' problem uncovered

Autocar test reveals unusual problem with 4x4's ESP system, confirmed by Suzuki, but no recall is currently planned

Once alerted, Suzuki immediately despatched additional engineers to the Angeles Crest Highway near Pasadena, California, to investigate. They were able to replicate the behaviour, but have not been able to reproduce it at the company’s test facility in Japan.

In a statement, Suzuki has said that "the continuous activation" of stability control occurred "when a specific road condition, tilt angle in the road, incline and slope, and degree of the curve was combined with a certain level of speed."

"There is a possibility that the (stability control) is instantaneously switched on (by) reacting to the vehicle sway when departing the S-shaped curve - and then consecutively switches on because the vehicle is circling the curve at high speeds."

During this reporter’s test of the car, with chief engineer Yonezawa aboard, the Jimny was driven briskly not only on the particular incline and bend sequence that triggered the behavior, but along an eight mile stretch of the Angeles Crest Highway. On this longer section the nearside front wheel occasionally braked, as did the offside rear wheel.

Suzuki has also said that ‘the intervention of the stability control may give a sense of discomfort to the driver but is not an event that would disturb the vehicle’s direction of movement.’ This would reporter would agree that the vehicle’s direction of travel remains unaltered.

But the side-to-side rocking motion triggered by quick-repeat, single wheel brake interventions, which occurred only on one particular stretch of road taken at a speed higher than the (cautious) mandated limit, would probably alarm an inexperienced driver.

Suzuki says that it will "further analyse the event and carefully consider how to adjust the program while maintaining the Jimny’s performance balance. Therefore, we regret to say we are unable to inform you when exactly we will be able to implement any changes to the program at the moment."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...bility-control-phantom-skid-problem-uncovered

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Experienced the same in my girlfriend's Jimny, loaded on the N4 at different speeds and it scared her so much that she wanted to get rid of the Jimny! Then I searched the internet and realized that it is the stability control and not the shocks.......

Suzuki Jimny stability control 'phantom skid' problem uncovered

Autocar test reveals unusual problem with 4x4's ESP system, confirmed by Suzuki, but no recall is currently planned

Once alerted, Suzuki immediately despatched additional engineers to the Angeles Crest Highway near Pasadena, California, to investigate. They were able to replicate the behaviour, but have not been able to reproduce it at the company’s test facility in Japan.

In a statement, Suzuki has said that "the continuous activation" of stability control occurred "when a specific road condition, tilt angle in the road, incline and slope, and degree of the curve was combined with a certain level of speed."

"There is a possibility that the (stability control) is instantaneously switched on (by) reacting to the vehicle sway when departing the S-shaped curve - and then consecutively switches on because the vehicle is circling the curve at high speeds."

During this reporter’s test of the car, with chief engineer Yonezawa aboard, the Jimny was driven briskly not only on the particular incline and bend sequence that triggered the behavior, but along an eight mile stretch of the Angeles Crest Highway. On this longer section the nearside front wheel occasionally braked, as did the offside rear wheel.

Suzuki has also said that ‘the intervention of the stability control may give a sense of discomfort to the driver but is not an event that would disturb the vehicle’s direction of movement.’ This would reporter would agree that the vehicle’s direction of travel remains unaltered.

But the side-to-side rocking motion triggered by quick-repeat, single wheel brake interventions, which occurred only on one particular stretch of road taken at a speed higher than the (cautious) mandated limit, would probably alarm an inexperienced driver.

Suzuki says that it will "further analyse the event and carefully consider how to adjust the program while maintaining the Jimny’s performance balance. Therefore, we regret to say we are unable to inform you when exactly we will be able to implement any changes to the program at the moment."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...bility-control-phantom-skid-problem-uncovered
    Sorry, but that is a problem with the overseas full spec Jimnys with lane control enable.
    We do not have that here, please google a bit............
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Sorry, but that is a problem with the overseas full spec Jimnys with lane control enable.
    We do not have that here, please google a bit............

"But the side-to-side rocking motion triggered by quick-repeat, single wheel brake interventions, which occurred only on one particular stretch of road"

That is exactly what I experienced! It happened three times in a row at exactly the same two places, and only there, on the whole N4 between Pretoria and Middelburg, as well as on one spot on the N1, between Sormvoël and Zambezi off ramps. The worst was the first time, with weight in the rear.

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

"During certain cornering conditions the Jimny's ESP system brakes an individual front wheel as if to correct a skid that isn’t actually occurring. The effect is to cause the car to rock from side-to-side, as the front spring of the braked wheel compresses and expands with the pulsing intervention of the ESP. The condition can also affect one of the rear wheels."

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys