What kind of animal is this???? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What kind of animal is this????

Isn't nature magnificent...

I know that you guys are traveling for some years and have lots of experience.
    So we started with a lion, I even thought it might have been an elephant.
    Then I was almost convinced it was buffalo.... still think it might be by the way, this as it sounds very close to the other YouTube links.

But I never doubt the people who live next to it and hear it every day, so it seems to be a hippo.

Looking forward to being there soon again listening to the beauty of the sounds in nature.....
    During the covid time, I ran away from China to South Africa and worked from Kruger NP in February ending with my holiday in Kgalagadi NP in March.
    Then I run bag again to China just on time as the borders were closing in South Africa, luckily the puzzle felt all together for us.

Many people don't like to travel to Kruger in February as not much would be there to see? I have to disagree after my visit in February.
    At this moment working on my videos and photo work, those sounds of the frogs after the rains, the thousands of queleas birds flying low over the field, the sceneries, the pictures with the flowers, and green backgrounds truly are amazing.
    Can't wait to go back.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and at least I know now that it is a hippo....I think

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpseekles For This Useful Post:

Hippo Bull stand off

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

I had the stand off part correct This is why this forum is great!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JacquesJeep For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: What kind of animal is this????

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Boy View Post
    Hi jpseekles

I can see that your video was shot close to a river, so, it's one of two things but definately one

Two Hippo Bulls having a fight/stand off...

or

A Hippo Cow advising a Bull to not come much closer...

Having lived in the bush all my life I have heard this many many times over the years. Currently living on a Private Concession in the Linyanti with my house on the banks of the Linyanti River, we hear this often. This can go on for hours at times... You can recognise the Hippo by the higher pitched sounds inbetween the rest of the grunts and bellows. I've tried to download a clip but are struggling a bit. Follow the link below, it's the fith clip from the top with Hippo Bulls fighting in the description.

https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/hippo

The sounds these guys can make is amazing...
    Guys like you really annoy me. Now I am going to spend the whole day wondering how you get to live on a private concession in the Linyanti with a house on the river.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Lion busy throttling buffalo?
    Lion snoring ...

Hippo

Lion with a sore throat. Not typical hippo or elephants sounds that I know, or Buffalo.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/08/10 at 02:55 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Can hippos keep this up so long without their characteristic hippo snort ?

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Lion with a sore throat. Not typical hippo or elephants sounds that I know, or Buffalo.
    After listening a few times to the clip shared by bush boy I guess he is correct, check out the fifth clip.

ollow the link below, it's the fith clip from the top with Hippo Bulls fighting in the description.

https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/hippo

Not typical hippo, but yes agree by elimination hippo make more sense. Lions are not normal that active during the day.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/08/11 at 12:48 PM.
    Johan Kriel

That’s the beauty of nature, it’s not an exact science. Because the most common sound we associate with Hippos are snorting, we think that, that is what they should always sound like, the same with Hyenas, they make the weirdest noises when exited, submissive, injured and so on an so forth, but, people always associate them with whooping. Another perfect example is my Wife, my friends know what she sounds like, but, only I know the other "sounds", like when she’s angry, when she wants something, when she’s had enough, when she's not falling for "nog net eenetjie" etc, etc… When I tell my friends about these “sounds”, they also say…that’s not a “sound” we would associate with her

Geertdev – As mentioned before, these sounds usually goes along with territorial fights or mating. The snorting sounds Hippo’s are typically associated with has a different “meaning” Trust me, they can go on like this for hours, off course they stop from time to time but it can last for hours.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2