Franklin borehole pump wiring

Default Franklin borehole pump wiring

Need some help from experts please.

My borehole pump packed up. Pulled it out and had 2 splice kits just above the pump and motor. Blue submersile cable going in, splice kit, black piece of cable, splice kit onto the motor 220V with black, red and yellow wires in the motor.

My problem now, new motor has 4 wires. Yellow/green, black, brown and blue. The blue power cable has 3 wires, red, white and black. I already know the earth yellow/green does not get used and the wiring as per franklin is,

Black - start
    Brown - common
    Blue - main (run)

But which connects to which on my main power cable with the white, red and black as I can't find any indication on the franklin website?

Thank you for the help in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200807_145108.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	583424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200807_144741.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	583422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200807_144856.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	583423  
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Default Re: Franklin borehole pump wiring

I wish I could help , but it has been too long since I did the connection and cannot remember.
    Just looking at the condition of the conducter in the blue cable , are you sure it is not going to let water down the line and into the motor?
    I replaced a motor after it burnt , the submersible cable looked like that inside, I took the chance and connected the cable thinking the epoxy would keep water out even if it got inside the cable , I was wrong and burnt a second motor within days.
    I replaced the whole submersible cable after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post

My borehole pump packed up. Pulled it out and had 2 splice kits just above the pump and motor. Blue submersile cable going in, splice kit, black piece of cable, splice kit onto the motor 220V with black, red and yellow wires in the motor.

My problem now, new motor has 4 wires. Yellow/green, black, brown and blue. The blue power cable has 3 wires, red, white and black. I already know the earth yellow/green does not get used and the wiring as per franklin is,

Black - start
    Brown - common
    Blue - main (run)

But which connects to which on my main power cable with the white, red and black as I can't find any indication on the franklin website?

Henk You need a 4 core cable running from your pump to your control panel otherwise you will not have a earth on your pump , that is not good.
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

The yellow/green is the earth. I never used it on advice from an electrician, as it will just give unnecessarily trouble.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The yellow/green is the earth. I never used it on advice from an electrician, as it will just give unnecessarily trouble.
    Lightning is no exact science - sometimes you need an earth, sometimes not. I had to replace borehole pump motors after every major lightning storm, until the local electrician told me to cut the earth cable. I did this, just under the plate, so that inspections indicated that the borehole was properly earthed, according to regulations. I have not lost another motor since then (25 plus years)

Can't help with the wiring diagram on 220V. The cable suggests that the starting cap is on top, and not with the pump. Not sure what the normal configuration is - I have only used 3 phase pump motors.
    Mike Lauterbach

Black - start
    Brown - common
    Blue - main (run)

Looks like you need a control box, for start run and common wires.
    Johan Kriel

Black - start
    Brown - common
    Blue - main (run)

Doesn’t matter , take a photo when connecting the colors and make sure when connecting to the control box that the start common and run is connected were it shows on the diagram . Readings on a multimeter . Ohm readings . Highest reading will be between run and start lowest start and common and in between will be run and common . I would connect , black on black , brown on red. grey/blue on white . On control box , black on start , red on common , white on run/ main hope it make sen,s . Discard the earth
    Using Tapatalk

If still confused take photo of connection in control box and I will tell you which colour,s to connect
    Using Tapatalk

I post a pic of the controlbox tomorrow.

Thank you for all the advice.
    Henk
    So understand
    Face up, make your stand

You need an earth wire going down to the pump and as far as I remember we used a 4mm earth that was conected to one of the pump motor bolts with a 4x8 lugg. That is regulation/law / code of practice.

I would suggest you connect the black to black, red to brown and white to blue at the motor cast. Your main power cable is just used to take the outputs of the control box to the motor so you have the red connected to the brown at the bottom so that red goes to the brown terminal in the control box same goes for the black and the grey/ white.

As normal the L and N terminals are for the incoming power.

Connect all and before casting the resin do a test run. take a hose and pour water down the pump just to lubricate the seals and wet the motor junction to the pump and then just start the pump for about 5 seconds. You should see it start up and switch over to rum and also hear the clixon in the control box switch.

Make sure that the wire connections are done with the right size ferrules and crimped with the right crimper NOT cut with a side cutter. If you do not have a proper crimper solder the wires.

Once the casting is cured tie the safety rope to the pump and fit the sleeve that channels the flow of water to the intake over the motor. Tie the cable, earth and safety rope to the pipe with cable ties, do not be tempted to use tape for this. I have pulled a motor where the tape from the previous guy had come off in the water and got picked up in the intake and caused the pump to burn out. You will see that there is quite a bit of torque on the pump and if th cables are not tied to the pipe it can chafe and rub through, seen that on a few pumps as well.

What safety are you using? liquid level control or phase angle.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Here is a shot of the controlbox. Different wires again.

Earth wire is at the borehole to run down to the pump, fastened to pump at one of the bolts. Connected at the top to an earth on the cover.

As I am not the best electrician, I will see if I can figure out the resistance testing as suggested Cor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henk
    So understand
    Face up, make your stand

Ok should be black to red ,brown to white , blue/ grey to blue
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Doesn’t matter , take a photo when connecting the colors and make sure when connecting to the control box that the start common and run is connected were it shows on the diagram . Readings on a multimeter . Ohm readings . Highest reading will be between run and start lowest start and common and in between will be run and common . I would connect , black on black , brown on red. grey/blue on white . On control box , black on start , red on common , white on run/ main hope it make sen,s . Discard the earth
    Sorry low reading will be common and run and middle reading common and start
    Using Tapatalk

Just a quick shout out to everyone for the advice given. I got the pump going but now have to wait for the splice kit to set before I can drop the pump again.

Thank you for everyone who pitched in with advice.
    Henk
    So understand
    Face up, make your stand

Default Borehole pump wiring question.

Good evening. Went to NWK today to buy a pump for a 20m borehole.

Came home and after starting to unpack everything I realised the pump power cable(about 1m long) has 4 wires whereas the power cable the guys gave is a 3core. Now the controller box for the pump is obviously set up for 4core from the pump and then 3core going out.

Is there a way to wire this properly or is it simply a case that the wrong power cable was given..?

Thanks for the help.

Just a quick shout out to everyone for the advice given. I got the pump going but now have to wait for the splice kit to set before I can drop the pump again.

Thank you for everyone who pitched in with advice.
    Hoe did you sort it? Run an additional earth cable?
    Mike Lauterbach

Default Re: Borehole pump wiring question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    Good evening. Went to NWK today to buy a pump for a 20m borehole.

Came home and after starting to unpack everything I realised the pump power cable(about 1m long) has 4 wires whereas the power cable the guys gave is a 3core. Now the controller box for the pump is obviously set up for 4core from the pump and then 3core going out.

Is there a way to wire this properly or is it simply a case that the wrong power cable was given..?

Thanks for the help.
    I see I've been moved to the Franklin thread. This pump motor is STAIRS and not Franklin so not sure how this will help. EDIT: Read through the thread. I see its very much the same. So either run a earth or not :/
    Last edited by Zenbaas; 2020/08/16 at 10:48 AM.