Trump just wiped R90B of your pension - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Trump just wiped R90B of your pension

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Well they don't appear to mine very deep.

Nothing pisses me off more than my own bank/credit company/cell company/blah/blah cold calling and offering me a loan/upgrade/tomato when they know what my situation is.
    That's because your contact number is made available to third party callers that get a commission on the business they bring in. The individuals work for several companies and use the numbers they get from mining your information to call you. Your bank etc didn't give the callers those numbers. Did you sign into a Covid or security register when visiting anywhere? The security guard moonlights and sells those numbers and your name. The next caller won't have a clue where you do business and doesn't care. More sophisticated criminals will use the info to start checking on you. Eventually they will try to get your bank account passwords as they already know your account number and who you are, where you work, what car you drive, where you live. That phone you lost or laptop that was stolen? Plenty info there too.

I always write a digit short in my phone number (Don't write a false number, someone else will be getting a call) and mispell my name. On your ID number change any of the 7th to 10th digits. The last digit is a control number mathematically calculated from a formula in which all the numbers in your ID number provide the last number. It was intended as a computer check to verify your number. A wrong last digit nullifies the entire number. They trade numbers as well.

A South African ID number is a 13-digit number which is defined by the following format: YYMMDDSSSSCAZ.

• The first six digits (YYMMDD) are based on your date of birth – 23 January 1988 is 880123.
    • The next four digits (SSSS) are used to define your gender – females are assigned numbers in the range 0000-4999 and males from 5000-9999.
    • The next digit (C) shows if you are an SA citizen – 0 – or a permanent resident – 1.
    • The next digit (A) was used until the late 1980s to indicate a person’s race. This has been eliminated and old ID numbers were reissued to remove this.
    • The last digit (Z) is a checksum digit – used to check that the number sequence is accurate using the Luhn algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    Are you suggesting that everybody should dis invest from China ?
    I would not disagree but that would be naive.
    Honestly, I don't know what the answer is, but I do think they should have thought it through a bit, and should have predicted this move. It wasn't that hard to predict to start off with, or least, that's what I think. Couldn't they have sold their share when it made a big enough profit, and then moved it somewhere else?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

'The danger comes from hankering for normalcy again, rather than getting on with working out how to deal with whatever is ahead.' - CNN article

Quote Originally Posted by JCMostert View Post
    Anyhow, just a matter of time and your pension fund will be invested in SA government schemes so relax
    Faaaark....that was brutal bru....true, but never nice to hear...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I generally think I am a fairly clever, but the following comment might either be the smartest comment I have ever made, or the dumbest. You Pick.

Why on earth would Naspers invest in a Chinese company, knowing full well that Trump has been on a crusade from the day he took office against the Chinese, and in his defense, not unfounded, as European companies like Facebook, whatsapp and so forth is blocked in China, there you only get THEIR stuff.

So now, in your naivety, you want to blame Trump, whereas you should be putting the blame on the investors, much like South African government sells us to the Chinese in general.

Gosh, the mind boggles.
    They have been invested in Tencent long before Trump came to power. How do you think Naspers became the largest company on the JSE?

So many clever ppl on this forum. Should all be rich. The mind boggles ...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

And we’re still in the early stages of it... With all the negative posts about the ANC, at least there was one positive - they “couldn’t figure out” how to leverage cell data to track/trace COVID.

but I’m sure China will help them with the tech.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

So Prosus is down 5.2% as I type this, but still up 44% over the last 6 months.
    Naspers is down 4.85% but still up 17% over the last 6 months.
    What exactly is the big deal?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Makaira For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    So Prosus is down 5.2% as I type this, but still up 44% over the last 6 months.
    Naspers is down 4.85% but still up 17% over the last 6 months.
    What exactly is the big deal?
    Now you've gone a ruined a perfectly good scare mongering thread with facts, shame on you!

A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 340 View Post
    Trump decided to ban Tik Tok and Wechat from the states in 45 days.
    Result: 10Cents share price drops.
    Result: Naspers share price drops.
    Result: R90 billion wiped off Naspers market cap.
    Result: SA pension funds invested in Naspers loses Billions.

Still think Trump is cool😳, maybe not anymore if you’re a SA pensioner.
    Yes, I still think Trump is super cool, and everyday I open my eyes, I wish he was my President. At least I would then have a President to be proud of... How many Billions have your ex and current Presidents wasted and wiped of your pension, probably way more than R90Bill. Some people would use any excuse to make President Trump look bad.

I heard that CNN was hiring... you'll fit in well over there...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:

Hi Jack!

I don't understand conservative South Africa's obsession with Donald Trump. It is as if he is their president?

Bye Jack.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    Now you've gone a ruined a perfectly good scare mongering thread with facts, shame on you!

If Naspers did not invest in China our JSE would not have gone anywhere in the past 10 years ..... that would have hurt your pension fund al whole lot more...

Naspers up 42% in 12 months (after today's fall) and still trading at a big discount to the Tencent value, Prosus is still up 63 % year to date.... (not listed for 12 months yet)

The title is typical of a newspaper advertisement that you would see on streetlights next to the road.
    Last edited by Anton Meyer; 2020/08/07 at 03:16 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anton Meyer For This Useful Post:

I was once party to a dinner conversation, both wealthy gentlemen sitting around the table. One was trying to convince the other that he should invest his wealth. The latter was having none of it, his reply was; ''I invest my money in things I can control. If I lose money its because I was a cnut, not because some other cnut was a cnut or fell off a camel or something like that''.

One is still wealthy, the other has lost in excess of 50% of his wealth in the last 12 months.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.....................
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Boy View Post
    Yes, I still think Trump is super cool, and everyday I open my eyes, I wish he was my President. At least I would then have a President to be proud of... How many Billions have your ex and current Presidents wasted and wiped of your pension, probably way more than R90Bill. Some people would use any excuse to make President Trump look bad.

I heard that CNN was hiring... you'll fit in well over there...
    You must have very low personal standards if you would be proud to have Trump as your president....

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aviator_01 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_01 View Post
    You must have very low personal standards if you would be proud to have Trump as your president....
    The Trump debate....I certainly wish he would be our president instead of the Waschlappen we have now.
    Mike Lauterbach

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Jaaa Aviator_01.... And you must have very high standards if the only reply you can think of is an insult... Such a tough and big boy...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion without being insulted, or have we joined the cancel culture?
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

Never understood why apparently normal people with high moral standards sometimes choose an insensitive arrogant control freak as their role model.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Makaira For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    Never understood why apparently normal people with high moral standards sometimes choose an insensitive arrogant control freak as their role model.
    Easy - they are not normal people with high moral standards....
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Landy90fan For This Useful Post:

Well, thanks to Trump, my portfolio has grown quite a lot over the last few weeks. Mainly because most of my portfolio consists of US stock.

Not something I can say about the current SA president...........

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast