T&C 210 Trailer

Thread: T&C 210 Trailer

Default T&C 210 Trailer

Hi Guys,

While I searched this topic I found numerous similar threads but my needs are slightly different and I hope you may be willing to assist with sharing some knowledge. I drive a bakkie (2020 Isuzu D-Max X-Rider 250 A/T) and my Town & Country 210 trailer slopes when hitched. I donít want to put a tow ball dropper plate on as itís the correct height for my flatbed trailer. The trailer currently has 13Ē rims on and I was wondering if putting a 50mm leaf spring riser (maybe hub spacers too) would allow me to put 15Ē wheels on?

I'm not looking to convert it to a camper by putting a tent on and as my bakkie is a 4x2 it won't be going over hectic terrain either. It will be used to go on dirt road and the occasional soft sand when going to Ponta for diving, hence the need for bigger and wider wheels.

On previous threads there was mention of the people at Challenger in Nahboom but they seem to have closed down and my local trailer shop can't assist either hence why I have turned to you guys for assistance.

Thank you kindly
    Scott

Default Re: T&C 210 Trailer

Be aware that the tyre size of a 15" might be too much for your current fenders. I am thinking of putting a spacer between the hitch and the a-frame on the front of the trailer, to drop it there.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Why not get one of these? can change the height fairly quick
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

I have done exactly that, but...

You will need to change the wheel arches and the axle, you don't get 15" rims to fit that 750 kg axle.
    The bigger axle has stronger hubs and bigger bearings.
    Lightest 15" set up will be a 1800kg axle, if I recall. And will be in the region of 8k.

It makes a amazing little off road/sand trailer and tows like a dream.
    I basically built a complete trailer and just fitted the 210 shell on it.

Feel free to ask should you need any more information.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC-M View Post
    Hi Guys,

While I searched this topic I found numerous similar threads but my needs are slightly different and I hope you may be willing to assist with sharing some knowledge. I drive a bakkie (2020 Isuzu D-Max X-Rider 250 A/T) and my Town & Country 210 trailer slopes when hitched. I donít want to put a tow ball dropper plate on as itís the correct height for my flatbed trailer. The trailer currently has 13Ē rims on and I was wondering if putting a 50mm leaf spring riser (maybe hub spacers too) would allow me to put 15Ē wheels on?

I'm not looking to convert it to a camper by putting a tent on and as my bakkie is a 4x2 it won't be going over hectic terrain either. It will be used to go on dirt road and the occasional soft sand when going to Ponta for diving, hence the need for bigger and wider wheels.

On previous threads there was mention of the people at Challenger in Nahboom but they seem to have closed down and my local trailer shop can't assist either hence why I have turned to you guys for assistance.

Thank you kindly
    Scott
    My take on this is you want the town and country to stand higher behind your Isuzu. You dont want to turn the trailer in to a badass camper with rooftop tent and butch wheels though the butch wheels and wider rubber will be handy when traversing the Moz sandy beaches.

Your Trailer has about a 640kg GVM if I remember correctly that was probably allocated as the max that could be handled by the wheels, one of mine has the same GVM due to tyre size.

You would need to raise the axle by a min of 50mm by either a spacer on the axle mount or preferably a combination of spacer and lengthened shackle on the spring, That should give you enough clearance on the mudguard. As for Hub spacers you might get away with just playing with the offset of the rim.

The Town and Country has a 4 x 100 pcd and to get this in 15" is as easy as falling out of tree, all the golf ricers changed their 13" wheels to 15" low profiles and to get 15" trailer tyres are as easy as pie. I have done this conversion for a few people and it worked pretty well, one might even be able to get the steel rims in 15" .
    Your vehicle has to be retested to change the GVM so it would still be a 640kg GVM with slightly less load capacity to compensate for the heavier wheels. As far as I know the axles was 900kg, burquip sold ther special make ups for challenger at silly prices in the beginning of July. I was offered full axles at giveaway prices.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Hi Scott, I went to 195 /14inch tyre and rims and I added blades to springs and I had more than sufficient height. see pics. I also made my own axle and added VW golf rear hubs. It tows like a dream and is used for holidays and bush trips over any terrain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pre Tow Test.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	603.3 KB 
ID:	583511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venter 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	583512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Undercarriage.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	583513  
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Sorry one picture upside down.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

[QUOTE=hbannink;4449339]

The Town and Country has a 4 x 100 pcd and to get this in 15" is as easy as falling out of tree, all the golf ricers changed their 13" wheels to 15" low profiles and to get 15" trailer tyres are as easy as pie. I have done this conversion for a few people and it worked pretty well, one might even be able to get the steel rims in 15" .
    [/QUOTE

I would love some 15" in 4x100 pcd
    Please share some more info.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Thumbs up Re: T&C 210 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    My take on this is you want the town and country to stand higher behind your Isuzu. You dont want to turn the trailer in to a badass camper with rooftop tent and butch wheels though the butch wheels and wider rubber will be handy when traversing the Moz sandy beaches.

Your Trailer has about a 640kg GVM if I remember correctly that was probably allocated as the max that could be handled by the wheels, one of mine has the same GVM due to tyre size.

You would need to raise the axle by a min of 50mm by either a spacer on the axle mount or preferably a combination of spacer and lengthened shackle on the spring, That should give you enough clearance on the mudguard. As for Hub spacers you might get away with just playing with the offset of the rim.

Your vehicle has to be retested to change the GVM so it would still be a 640kg GVM with slightly less load capacity to compensate for the heavier wheels. As far as I know the axles was 900kg, burquip sold ther special make ups for challenger at silly prices in the beginning of July. I was offered full axles at giveaway prices.
    Thank you Kindly Sir, yes i'm not intending to make a badass camper. I have dropped Burquip an email and await their response
    Last edited by ScottC-M; 2020/08/11 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Hi Scott, I went to 195 /14inch tyre and rims and I added blades to springs and I had more than sufficient height. see pics. I also made my own axle and added VW golf rear hubs. It tows like a dream and is used for holidays and bush trips over any terrain
    Thanks for the info and pics. Does the taxi wheels suffice on soft sand once deflated?

[QUOTE=Chris8d;4450747]
    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post

[/QUOTE

I would love some 15" in 4x100 pcd
    Please share some more info.
    https://www.twt.co.za/by-wheel-brand...t_pattern=5530

https://www.a-linewheels.co.za/cgi-b...utback%20Range
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

https://www.a-linewheels.co.za/cgi-b...utback%20Range

I don't see the white steel rim in 4x100 ?

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

This is what 15Ē wheels look like on a Challenger that were fitted from factory if it helps at all. I just came back from a trip so it is a little dirty, normally try to store it away as clean as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_153833.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	584194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_153903.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	584195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_153608.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	584196

18. The Following User Says Thank You to plakkie For This Useful Post: