Home use Vacuum Cleaner - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Home use Vacuum Cleaner

STAY AWAY FROM HOOVER!

We have a - hmmm - 20 year old hoover wet/dry which isnt to bad.

We recently inherited a NEW hoover wet.dry, still in the box. What rubbish!
    The filter passes more dust than it catches! I am serious that the motor is perpetually in a cloud of dust! (Yes, the filter is correctly fitted and has no holes.)
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Also have the Karcher WD4. Mine has an aluminum tank though, not the plastic.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

We have the Karcher WD1. Works great. Had 2 Hoover's and a LG before that. Karcher seems the best of the lot and would be my choice.
    'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' – Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

Isn't that water with the genesis a schlep? I mean how big a house can you clean before having to toss the water?
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Our first Genesis lasted 10 months then it was swopped out under warranty, the second one lasted 5 years. I liked the water concept very much since it wasn't smelly and didn't blow dust back in to the air. You just have to empty out the water every time after use, if you leave it till the next day it will start to stink.
    Have only 2 loose carpets now so got some tiny thing which does a fine job.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Isn't that water with the genesis a schlep? I mean how big a house can you clean before having to toss the water?

Didn't find it necessary to change the water half way threw the house, you just have to do it after you are finished for the day, otherwise it will start to smell like a drain the next day. You'll be surprised how dirty that water gets after a trip threw your house no matter how clean you think your place was.

In fact that's actually the case with any new vacuum cleaner, you never realize what a bad job the old one actually did until you get a new one, which makes one think whether it might be better to rather buy cheap and replace regularly.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    I have been using a Rainbow Vacuum cleaner for more than 20 yrs.
    Rainbow was the first vacuum cleaner that uses a water bath as a filter.
    The advantage is that the suction is not diminished by the amount of dirt in the water bath.
    Even when it is very dirty, it still allows the machine to suck and it still filters the air efficiently.

I have used a Genesis water filter machine as well.
    It is very complex, compared to the Rainbow, but the water filter works.

It is a quick task to change the water.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 436 000 km)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Have a look at the vacuum cleaners from Adendorff. I got one recently to replace one that didn't last as long as it was supposed to. It's well made and has good suction. Have a look at the link. https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...leaner-1200-w/
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

I second Kaercher T7
    VW Amarok 3.0
    Invader duo

Ek het een van die industrial joppies van ardenhorf. Hy survive nou al vir 4 jaar en gaan nog sterk aan. Die ander junk van makro en kie het nie gehou nie

For some miracle reason Bosch consumer vacuums still use motors made in Germany, they are apparently very good. Mine sucks like crazy so vacuums well but the rest of the design is a bit meh. Retracts the cable really slowly and I've got 2, both the same, the cable casing also looks very thin, not thrilled. But the iverall build quality is good.

They have a few machines R1500 and up, all available online as well.

Any of these vacuums have a carpet agitator? With dogs in the house their fur is always a problem. We occasionally nick the in-laws Kirby which does a fantastic job of lifting hair but at the price of those its probably cheaper to replace our carpets every couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Any of these vacuums have a carpet agitator? With dogs in the house their fur is always a problem. We occasionally nick the in-laws Kirby which does a fantastic job of lifting hair but at the price of those its probably cheaper to replace our carpets every couple of months
    Kirby's often come up 2hnd for a thousand or 2, typically still in near my mint condition.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/08/07 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Just bought this one last week, as I broke the 15 year old electrolux's pype carpet attachment thingy.
    Lategan & Van Biljoens

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Kirby's often come up 2hnd for a thousand or 2, typically still in near my mint condition.
    You see - THIS is the one.
    But waaay over the budget given and does use bags ....

Ours is going strong after some 40 years of use, vehicle and WORKSHOP use, so has probably been a little abused.
    You buy ONE vacuum cleaner for life (yours).

If I remember correctly at the time it cost about R 3 000 with all the bell and whistle attachments (I was still young and stupid then.)
    Now only the stupid part remains.

I have just last week fitted the last bag one of those that came with the machine when we bought it - so although the bags are expensive they can be re-used many times over.
    Just empty them instead of throwing away the whole bag each time!
    When it rips or develops any other problem THEN put in a replacement bag.

At today's prices I would most likely not be a customer.

But for OP this is obviously our of budget range. Today I believe these sell for north of R 30 K for the basic model.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/08/07 at 01:28 PM.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

We use one of the upright push models with the rotating brush. Cheapy model from Game.

I strongly believe the rotating brush is the only way to get fluff, cat/dog hair out of the carpet.

In the garage is a Kärcher WD1. 1000W of sucking power to do the vehicles.
    Kobus

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

We recently bought a Bennett Read upright wet and dry 'Hydro 15' water filtration unit from game...our budget was R2000 and this was R1999 - 1200W...works like a charm and is reputed to "last forever"...picks up doghair from the carpets and furniture very well too!!!
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/08/09 at 10:38 AM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Bought a Miele 16 years ago. The model is called Cat & Dog.
    Good quality attachments with super suction and filtration.
    Still going strong.
    Yes it is way over your budget and it does use bags but they last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    Our cheapy inpulse-buy vacuum cleaner that lasted 10 years, died.
    In the first year some of the features/pipes broke, but the essential components worked fine, so we just kept on using it as-is with the niggles.

But alas, it gave up on us.

What home and vehicle use domestic vacuum cleaner do you guys recommend?

I am looking at the following:
    - bagless, I dont want to buy consumables for it.
    - Hepa filter (or some kind of filetr that improves clean air exiting the vacuum)- because the old one didnt have this and it distibuted more micro dust than sucking it up sometimes.
    - R2000 budget

Any ideas?
    Have a look at replacing the motor brushes. After 10 years they are fubar.
    My hoover also left me alone. Turned out the switch has two feeds ,live and neutral (blue)
    the neutral side gone. Just bypassed it and up and running again

We bought the Big Green Machine from Verimark around 2008, mainly to wash carpets. What a piece of rubbish, was not used much but the pipes only lasted around 5 to 6 years before tearing.
    Went to Verimark but they could not help and said the machine is discontinued and not supported by them any more, think it is Bissel. Tried them but no support so throw it away. Verimark
    will never see me again as most of what they sell is rubbish, they are however very good with advertising.

In 1987 we bought a Kirby Heritage 2, made from aluminum. It is used weekly to vacuum the carpets in our house, 5 rooms with large carpets and was used till December 2019 by our cleaning
    lady. She retired in December and since then I do the vacuuming, suction is so good that I can't push it with one hand if the height is adjusted one click too low.

In the 33 years I replaced the roller once with a roller bearing one, a few driving belts for the roller, of course paper bags when full and it is now due for a new electric cable. I will take it in for
    a service soon, mainly to check the armature brushes, everything is working fine. Pipes still perfect, once drove over one with a car and only had to bend it round again, it has spring steel wire
    inside, no tearing. All parts for mine and much older ones is still available, let me think of old BMW motorcycles.

I have no idea what they cost lately but when we bought it, it was expensive but after 33 years it worked out to be dead cheap.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2020/08/11 at 09:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast