Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop - Page 3





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 894

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    No point in wasting time complaining.
    if you had to ask them about the filters, of course theyíll say they replaced them, and oh, oops, we chucked them out. Sorry. You have no evidence unfortunately.

    Move on, and take your business elsewhere next time.
    (and I would change the filters. Just for piece of mind).

    this is the reason I do the services myself. Even though Iím actually quite useless with working on cars, more often than not breaking something, i at least donít get that anxiety anymore when I have to hand the keys over to a stranger.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett/Paulshof
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,194
    Thanked: 1125

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I did read the OP. I did not read all the replies.

    I am seeing more and more threads where people need advice/post stuff just for the sake of being heard.

    Seriously, are you not adult enough to sort this out yourself before posting here?

    Very easy to do and then you don't expose yourself to abuse etc.
    Bruce Hunter. 2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:


  5. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 894

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I donít understand why the OP is getting such flak here? The whole point of the forum is for people to ask for advice/information?

    the only people in the wrong here are the people commenting without giving any advice. Grow up.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  7. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    303
    Thanked: 275

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I donít understand why the OP is getting such flak here? The whole point of the forum is for people to ask for advice/information?

    the only people in the wrong here are the people commenting without giving any advice. Grow up.
    I'm having a shower installed as we speak, should I ask the forum for opinions if I'm not happy with the installation? Seriously.

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    33
    Posts
    824
    Thanked: 1078

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    I'm having a shower installed as we speak, should I ask the forum for opinions if I'm not happy with the installation? Seriously.
    You don't have to, but you can, and that's the point.

    Should we start telling everyone asking what car to buy, or whether brand x is better than y, to stop posting?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:


  10. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    303
    Thanked: 275

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    You don't have to, but you can, and that's the point.

    Should we start telling everyone asking what car to buy, or whether brand x is better than y, to stop posting?
    The OP's post has zero relevance on any of us, not comparing x to y, not asking a question that has any relevance on anyone else, not naming the said dealer to warn anyone of poor service, just asking for opinions on whether the service he received for R11k was justified. Only the OP can justify whether he is happy with service, that's my point. Every single person on this forum will side with the OP, because they have his side of the story, why ask for opinions then?

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:


  12. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,701
    Thanked: 2206

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Off topic: The best service I used to get was when I used to drive Subaru's an impreza and later a legacy. Subaru bruma then it was.

    The service advisor, Mario would give a solid de brief when collecting or phoning.

    There would also be a little can of mints if the center console left after the car wash.

    maybe having a strong minty flavour in your mouth enhances the clean feel of the car when driving away.

    Wouldn't it be nice, in this age of technology, that service bays have web cams installed. And you get emailed a secure link to the webcam when you car enters the service bay so you can view your car being serviced live if you so wished.

    a bottom view ( when car is on lift ) and then a front engine view.


    Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:


  14. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Mukifu
    Age
    51
    Posts
    311
    Thanked: 581

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Nico H View Post
    Inspect the used parts before leaving the workshop. If happy leave it there for them to dispose it for you. What do you want to do with it at home?
    Who says they are even your used parts anyway
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109"

  15. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    504
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    The OP's post has zero relevance on any of us, not comparing x to y, not asking a question that has any relevance on anyone else, not naming the said dealer to warn anyone of poor service, just asking for opinions on whether the service he received for R11k was justified. Only the OP can justify whether he is happy with service, that's my point. Every single person on this forum will side with the OP, because they have his side of the story, why ask for opinions then?
    Why you even in this thread then, no one is forcing you to read and respond? Stop being a chop and move on.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rog163 For This Useful Post:


  17. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,529
    Thanked: 1315

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    10 minutes after getting my car back from a very well known Ford dealership, did they really think I wouldn't look ?Name:  20200613_125456.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  29.9 KB
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Ford Figo 2016

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:


  19. #51
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    Thanked: 390

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I hate threads like this be a man and take it up directly to them or be a mouse and keep quiet and take your business and money elsewhere if you don't like confrontation. Not sure what is gained from coming to forum as your first port of call.
    Last edited by Byron; 2020/08/07 at 07:58 AM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:


  21. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MTUNZINI
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 576

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    The point here is he paid R 11000.00 , which is high.
    In that price is Parts and Labour, the cheapest, it good have been done was approximately R 9000.00 plus, is it exorbitant to charge him R 11 000.00 ? in Cape Town nogal(we all know Cape Town, alles is flippen duur , baie duur)

    The oil filter is a bitch on Freelander 2 TD4 , it is a canister type and you need a 27 swivel ratchet spanner to remove, the diesel filter is a massive big filter which contains easy about 750 ml of diesel when removed.
    I will not like if a mechanic puts the oil and diesel filter back into my car, he must dispose of it the correct way because it is contaminated with oil and diesel , same with air filter full of dust and dirt
    The cambelt and water pump was put into the car , to show that it was done.

    But , like we all , we work on a trust relationship with clients and suppliers, we trust what you instructed to do will be done, if that trust is broken , move to somebody else.

    The agents would have charged double that amount
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/08/07 at 08:15 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

  22. #53
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,914
    Thanked: 13267

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by bukssaayman View Post
    Yep, I just want to know whether I am not being irrational, and expected too much, before contacting them.
    You are not being irrational.

    You mention that you have received good enough service from them in the past so clearly something has changed. Consistency is a critical component of customer satisfaction. Clearly something has changed from your last visit, either as a once off or perhaps something more permanent.
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/08/07 at 08:22 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  24. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,894
    Thanked: 1352

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    It is my opinion that the longer you wait, the more complicated this whole thing gets.
    If you had taken a minute at collection to check, you could have engaged in a friendly chat with the people there to better understand your concerns.
    I think that option is off the table now. To go back after a few days, you will most likely be worked up by now (even by forum members as well) and the discussions are going to get heated. You will not get any resolution, except maybe for an offer to wash your car for free.
    Most likely scenario is a scene with you storming out in frustration and having to find a new service centre.
    The thing is, they will pull the jobcard and show you that all filters and required parts were replaced.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    948
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I find it funny that we can’t discuss the merits of feeling frustration with service levels on a 4x4, yet there’s a thread on “which vacuum cleaner should I buy”

    Next week we can discuss shoes, and then handbags!
    Last edited by Flip Marais; 2020/08/07 at 09:24 AM.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    Sorted for camping away from the crowds.

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I read this threat with interest.
    I work as a transport manager for a company in Cape Town specializing in the sale, repairs and refurbishment of earthmoving ,construction and mining equipment. My responsibilities are the running of 10 x abnormal lowbed trucks carrying up to 85 metric tons.
    We run a 50/50 fleet of Mercedes Benz and MAN trucks as well as a fleet of Toyota and Ford bakkies used for the field service technicians.
    The mileage on my trucks arrange from 250k to 1.2m kilometers and we dealer service all company vehicles.
    An average service on the Mercedes trucks average about R28k up to R45k. I have just paid R82k for a major service on my M/B 3550 which included a brake overall on the rear bogie and to repair the PTO. This account was brought down from R179k ex vat from the dealer. They quoted on everything they could find such as replacing the exhaust system which was repaired with a bit of welding

    What I have learned is this over the years.
    1) The service is done as per the vehicle scheduled service as recommended by the manufacturer. ( this is normally guaranteed for 12 months parts and labour)
    2) I get a detailed quotation from the dealer after he inspects the vehicle. Discuss and agree on the work that needs to be done.
    3) We generate an order on the agreed work to be done.
    4) Once the work is completed we check the work as well as all parts replaced inspect, sign off and pay.
    5) Work we are not happy with is discussed and the way forward is agreed BEFORE we pay and remove the vehicle off the premises.

    The worst dealer we have dealt with is the local Mercedes Benz car dealership.
    Quoted R38 k for a major service on a Mercedes 320 CDI This included new disc and disc pads
    The problem was this car does very low mileage only 8500 km since the last service 12 month previously and all that work was done on the last service at the self same dealer!! (The brake overall was never done but charged for and paid for)
    Needless to say we removed the car and sent it to a local well known indy that specialists in MB who did all the work for R26k
    We involved the MB dealer and threatened legal action on the repairs They wrote out a cheque

    So my advise would be that you get a written quote for the work to be done
    Discuss and agree on the work to be done
    On collection check and go through the vehicle before you leave the premises
    Resolve any issues at that point
    Do the payment when you are satisfied with the work done
    All replacement spare parts you would like to view
    I also have them cut open the oil and fuel filter that I can check for foreign partials. Then I also know it has been replaced

    This has been my experience and advice with dealers.



    Hope it helps

    Regards
    Neil Sauls

    Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3Lt V6 4x4

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to NeilMac For This Useful Post:


  28. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    33
    Posts
    824
    Thanked: 1078

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    I read this threat with interest.
    I didn't know it was a threat . yes, yes, I know, spelling warrior, just couldn't resist that one.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  29. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 1354

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    I gave up on the "old parts in a box, please" bit years ago.

    I take a permanent marker pen and put a small dot on an inconspicuous place on parts that need to be replaced before taking the vehicle for the service, then do a quick check upon collection and before payment.

    Believe me, after a service one only needs to point those dots out once to ensure peace of mind and excellent service in future.
    Ettienne de Kock

    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith


    1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX
    1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:


  31. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,106
    Thanked: 1964

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    I read this threat with interest.
    I work as a transport manager for a company in Cape Town specializing in the sale, repairs and refurbishment of earthmoving ,construction and mining equipment. My responsibilities are the running of 10 x abnormal lowbed trucks carrying up to 85 metric tons.
    We run a 50/50 fleet of Mercedes Benz and MAN trucks as well as a fleet of Toyota and Ford bakkies used for the field service technicians.
    The mileage on my trucks arrange from 250k to 1.2m kilometers and we dealer service all company vehicles.
    An average service on the Mercedes trucks average about R28k up to R45k. I have just paid R82k for a major service on my M/B 3550 which included a brake overall on the rear bogie and to repair the PTO. This account was brought down from R179k ex vat from the dealer. They quoted on everything they could find such as replacing the exhaust system which was repaired with a bit of welding

    What I have learned is this over the years.
    1) The service is done as per the vehicle scheduled service as recommended by the manufacturer. ( this is normally guaranteed for 12 months parts and labour)
    2) I get a detailed quotation from the dealer after he inspects the vehicle. Discuss and agree on the work that needs to be done.
    3) We generate an order on the agreed work to be done.
    4) Once the work is completed we check the work as well as all parts replaced inspect, sign off and pay.
    5) Work we are not happy with is discussed and the way forward is agreed BEFORE we pay and remove the vehicle off the premises.

    The worst dealer we have dealt with is the local Mercedes Benz car dealership.
    Quoted R38 k for a major service on a Mercedes 320 CDI This included new disc and disc pads
    The problem was this car does very low mileage only 8500 km since the last service 12 month previously and all that work was done on the last service at the self same dealer!! (The brake overall was never done but charged for and paid for)
    Needless to say we removed the car and sent it to a local well known indy that specialists in MB who did all the work for R26k
    We involved the MB dealer and threatened legal action on the repairs They wrote out a cheque

    So my advise would be that you get a written quote for the work to be done
    Discuss and agree on the work to be done
    On collection check and go through the vehicle before you leave the premises
    Resolve any issues at that point
    Do the payment when you are satisfied with the work done
    All replacement spare parts you would like to view
    I also have them cut open the oil and fuel filter that I can check for foreign partials. Then I also know it has been replaced

    This has been my experience and advice with dealers.



    Hope it helps

    Regards
    This is how it should happen, and only does for you because you run a fleet of vehicles, IMO.
    Take your personal vehicle to a dealer that doesn't know you from a bar of soap and try then to sort out any "misunderstandings" without being laughed out the door.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:


  33. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,696
    Thanked: 15012

    Default Re: Unhappy with Land-Rover specialist workshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice, in this age of technology, that service bays have web cams installed. And you get emailed a secure link to the webcam when you car enters the service bay so you can view your car being serviced live if you so wished.

    a bottom view ( when car is on lift ) and then a front engine view.
    Actually, if I was a service manager, I'd have these installed anyway. Can solve a lot of HR issues going forward.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •