Moving to Cape Town - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Moving to Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Warrior View Post
    Thanks guys.

The one other serious point is that my youngest son is autistic and we would need to live close to a suitable school. Stellenbosch has a montesory (spelling) school that can handle him so we are looking, not locked, in at stellenbosch/ brackenfell. I will need a garden for the 2 dogs and cat.

Wife will be house mom for the first 6 months to assist the school with my youngest.

My oldest is going to gr 8 next year so he will be ok. I dont mind driving as I do 800km a week at the moment in gauteng.
    Talk to Jan Kriel school in Kuilsrivier, they might accommodate since they look after children with special needs
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Welcome to Cape Town. Please join our CAPEXIT group when you get here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grotman-WP For This Useful Post:

I am aware of a very nice house in Kuilsriver which is going on the market pretty soon. Message me if you are interested in chatting with the soon to be seller. Husband has passed away, so widow is downsizing.

@petermoffat Watter jare was jy daar? ..Ook daar grootgeword .De Kuilen 1981
    Last edited by tocin; 2020/08/05 at 09:37 PM. Reason: @petermoffat
    Nico Thiart

I work in Observatory and see clients all over Cape Town, and live in Melkbosstrand.

Traffic will depend on your work environment, hours and flexibility.

I just avoid peak hour traffic and plan my days accordingly, e.g. start work at 06:00 and leave at 16:00.
    I can also work from home, and many companies have now discovered this can be a good thing and even more productive.

If you have fixed hours and need to be at an office, traffic patterns are important.

Rent for a year, give you time to settle at work and check things out, and experience all seasons as well before you buy and settle down.

Moved here September 2008, and we still love it here.

I'm in the south close to Muizenberg. Very far from your target areas but allow to me add to this. I once had a job right in the middle of town, after 3 years I resigned partially because I couldn't work on my own hours to avoid the traffic. This was about 13 years ago and I do believe it's gotten even worse but...
    And it's a big but....
    My mindset has changed about it. For the most part these days I work from home and only really get traffic on school runs so I'm lucky in that respect.
    The change for me though for past few years is that I don't stress about it. I keep my place in the traffic and just move along with the flow however slow it may be. I enjoy the drive, the radio and the view. No more pushing ahead and sniffing out the smallest of gaps to gain 1 or maybe 2 car lengths. If I'm a few minutes late then so be it, just call or send a message if someone is expecting you, no problem. I'm 100% less stressed out about things and my days generally start off well. A bad attitude first thing in the morning can ruin your day without you even realising it.

NB: taxis still rub me up the wrong way sometimes but I generally drive a bit 'defensively' when I see them trying their tricks close to me.
    I was also earning more back then than I am now, seems counter productive but I chose my well being above chasing numbers where I was hyped up all the time. My world seems better these days albeit with less cash.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2020/08/05 at 10:24 PM.

Rentals should be plenty now, market is very slow

Durbanville has loads of quality schools, and the commute to Kuilsriver won't too bad neither
    Freelander 2 i6 SE - loveeee iitttttt!
    650 V Strom - my trusty beast
    Honda XR400R - wanna play......
    Vespa - when you just have to be cool 8)
    GT Expert and Giant Anthen MTB's - keeping the tummy in check

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2