SCAM:- Where does he make his money

Default SCAM:- Where does he make his money

So our camper is on the market for 350k. On Saturday a well spoken SA gentleman calls me and asks to view it. Itís parked at a dealership. No problem I say, if you want a test drive give me a call, Iíll pop over in ten minutes. Whattsapps me about 3 hours later says he likes it, will offer 315k and can he do two instalments of 50% each over 2 weeks. I say no problem, you can but only collect the car once the money is cleared in my account. I also remind him that he hasnít even test driven it yet. So as per usual, he has gone quiet.
    Iím very aware that itís not making sense, however, Iím intrigued on where he is going to bite me. I feel itís in the deposit part not clearing.
    Your opinions would be appreciated.
    1993 Toyota Landcruiser Camper
    2015 Ford Kuga 2.0T AWD

Default Re: SCAM:- Where does he make his money

I think it is very simple. If you donít have 100% of the money, and you did not transfer it to another account (access bond etc.) after it was paid to you, he canít have the papers/vehicle.
    Sent from my iPhone

The way this scam normally works is as follows.

He will want to make the deposit into your PayPal account. If you do not have one, he will ask that you either create one or a Payfast account. Both are free to set up.

He will then send you the Paypal/Payfast deposit slips (fake of course) for the full amount, plus an extra amount for his agent/courier/partner in crime who will be collecting the vehicle on his behalf. He will tell you that the funds will be "pending" and you will not be able to see the funds in your account. (BS of course as Paypal does not work like that)

You are then required to go to Shoprite or the like and get a money order for the agent/courier/partner in crime fee and forward the money order code to his agent/courier/partner in crime. Once they have the money order code, they will then so called release the funds and collect the vehicle.

The only problem is that once you send them the money order code (usually around R2500 to R5000) they disappear, and you then discover that the deposit slips where fake. The R2500 - R5000 is all they were after.

I normally respond with a fake Paypal account, and it is always rather amusing to receive the "deposit slip", claimed to be from Paypal reflecting the details of the non-existing Paypal account. Once I receive the deposit slips, I go quiet on them, and do not respond to any of their messages or emails.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/08/05 at 06:56 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Well he might pay the first 160k over in a legit manner..Then start nagging you to take it so long as he proved he is legit as he paid the first half and then say to you he will take papers apon second payment to make you feel at ease..
    Meanwhile once he collects he quickly sells for like 200k,makes a quick buck and the new owner is unaware of the deal with you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Iím leaning towards Mr G
    1993 Toyota Landcruiser Camper
    2015 Ford Kuga 2.0T AWD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisr For This Useful Post:

Dont know, sold my one Defender 90 to a guy in Mapumalanga, he paid in 3 installments and never saw the vehicle in person or test drove it. Last payment was received the day of delivery he took an lift and a Uber to get here, was all strange but hey, the guy needed to get his finances in order..

agree on a final date of payment.

edit, oh and the Unimog was the same, guy from CT bought it and payed 2 installments over 2 weeks..

but both was EFT, I wont bother with anything else
    Last edited by D-tox; 2020/08/05 at 08:32 AM.
    D90
    D130

Use an Escrow account?

I recently sold my Canopy, one guy also had some good story as to why he was wanting it etc. I had to open an account (similar to paypal) -can't recall the name.
    He would transfer into that and then arrange collection. I stood my ground to either cash or eft, never heard of him again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    So our camper is on the market for 350k. On Saturday a well spoken SA gentleman calls me and asks to view it. Itís parked at a dealership. No problem I say, if you want a test drive give me a call, Iíll pop over in ten minutes. Whattsapps me about 3 hours later says he likes it, will offer 315k and can he do two instalments of 50% each over 2 weeks. I say no problem, you can but only collect the car once the money is cleared in my account. I also remind him that he hasnít even test driven it yet. So as per usual, he has gone quiet.
    Iím very aware that itís not making sense, however, Iím intrigued on where he is going to bite me. I feel itís in the deposit part not clearing.
    Your opinions would be appreciated.
    Chris, ek doen dit maar so, is ook al gebyt, en dit werk lekker:

1) Buyer uses YOUR Bank Account, no other fancy stuff. If he's abroad or your neighbour - doesnt matter, YOUR Bank account.

2) Instead of Payments, I just draw up a little Agreement, and just states "Balance of R xxxxx payable on or before xx/xx/2020".

3) If he cant pay the Balance, all Payments made are forfeited, until Goods have been sold to whoever else at the agreed Price.

Daars nie rerig 'n ander manier wat jou nie gaan laat wakker le in die aand nie.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Also sold my Series 2 109 sight unseen apart from some cell phone pics. 2 payments, and I only handed over the papers to the transport company much later when the roll-back flatbed came to fetch it.

Moral of story: funds must clear, and preferably should be transferred out of that account ASAP. I use a semi dormant savings account that never normally has more than R1k in it.

NEVER EVER release the vehicle or documentation before you have all the money, every time.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

When I bought my present caravan from a private seller I also had to pay him in two separate EFT transactions (directly into his bank account) simply because my bank would not allow a single transfer of the amount involved (but things have changed now and EFT limits can be amended on line without visiting your branch).
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post: