New Hilux Mods

Thread: New Hilux Mods

Default New Hilux Mods

Hello All

I have not been on this thread for many months, but I would really appreciate some honest, and hopefully unbiased, advice on my new Hilux.

I am a Toyota fan and have had a 2007 Hilux V6 double cab since basically new and it has been faultless. I have done 340 000km in it and I have not had a single issue. I have had Old Man Emu suspension on it for as long as I can remember and it is honestly a really comfortable ride and still holds the road incredibly well. Before I upgraded our much newer Prado to Fox suspension, I would argue that the Hilux was a more comfortable ride than the Prado. It has 15 inch wheels with BFG all terrains, which I feel make a big difference to comfort and handling on dirt roads.

After 13 years I have finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a new Legend 50 gd6 diesel double cab. I am now trying to decide on a couple of upgrades and I would like some advise please:

Wheels and tyres - the L50 comes standard with 18inch wheels which I am not a fan of. I am considering changing them to an aftermarket 17 inch (I would go 16 if they would fit over the disc). Can anyone please suggest a good rim and tyre combo? I am a fan of the bfgs as they have never let me down and I feel confident driving with them in the dirt. Also, how about tyre size. I also went one size up on my old Hilux to 31inch tyres and itís been great.

Suspension - Old man emu has been great on my old Hilux, but there are so many more choices now, I am torn. I like the look of the EFS suspension with the parabolic rear springs as I often drive with no load and would like that comfort. I do then however load up the bakkie to the max with a big car trailer and head off racing with a full load, so there needs to be a balance.

Long range tank - I have one on my V6 which is great, and I know the diesel will go much further on a standard tank, but I like the idea of being able to fill up once and cover big distances without having to stop. What long range tank do you suggest?

I will do other upgrades as the budget allows, such as an Rsi canopy and upgrading the sound system, but for now the above is what Iíd like to focus on.

Your invaluable advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TimPMB For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Hilux Mods

An update of my tyres decision, if anyone is interested:

I am trying to decide between the General Grabber and my trusty BFGs.
    The grabbers seem to get really good reviews and at almost half the price of the BFGs seem to be a good bet.

Any comments to sway me either way? Any good or bad experiences with these tyres?

I had bfgs on my disco and am currently running grabbers on the prado. Hard core offroad I would go bf, normal dirt roads and tar I would go grabbers. And somewhere in the middle are the hankooks as well, they've just become a bit too expensive I think.

Honestly don't think you could go wrong with either though.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

Quote Originally Posted by Gootka View Post
    I had bfgs on my disco and am currently running grabbers on the prado. Hard core offroad I would go bf, normal dirt roads and tar I would go grabbers. And somewhere in the middle are the hankooks as well, they've just become a bit too expensive I think.

Honestly don't think you could go wrong with either though.
    Thanks for the response. I generally drive on tar roads, but for the few times a month I drive on dirt roads I want to be totally confident and not wince ever time I drive over some rough spots. I have that confidence with the BFGs, just not sure if itíll be the same with the grabbers.

Have you had any punctures/incidents with the grabbers on the Prado?

I think the 16" rims will fit. Toyota list it as option for my 2017 SR. Although mine came with 17" steel rims.

Tires is very much a personal thing. 100 different opinions about this.
    I have Dunlop AT3G's. Off-road bias. Dunlop recently brought out the AT5 with a 100 000km guarantee. Seems like nice 50/50 tire
    There is always Goodyear Wrangler Adventure as an option.

Remember that OME suspension gave you a 50mm lift. That will allow for larger than stock tires.
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Quote Originally Posted by pietas View Post
    I think the 16" rims will fit. Toyota list it as option for my 2017 SR. Although mine came with 17" steel rims.

Tires is very much a personal thing. 100 different opinions about this.
    I have Dunlop AT3G's. Off-road bias. Dunlop recently brought out the AT5 with a 100 000km guarantee. Seems like nice 50/50 tire
    There is always Goodyear Wrangler Adventure as an option.

Remember that OME suspension gave you a 50mm lift. That will allow for larger than stock tires.
    There is no 16" option on the SR Hilux , The only size Toyota offers is 17" and 18"on the 2.8's.
    1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    Hilux 2017 D/Cab 2.8 GD6 ( Company Vehicle)

I had these 16" rims on my GD6. Bought them from Toyota. Don't know whether you still get them though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Marius Botha
    2020 Hilux GD-6 4x4 D/C Legend 50 AT
    Metalian Canopy
    Stofpad 4x4 Rear Carrier Bumper and Box Rock Sliders
    Ironman Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by MTB 9 View Post
    I had these 16" rims on my GD6. Bought them from Toyota. Don't know whether you still get them though.
    But those 18Ē rims on the Legend50 are really amazing, my opinion :-). Wanna swop for the 18Ē of the Fortuner? ...lol
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Just keep in mind the cost of new rims and tyres.

I got a quote for 17" (Pro-comp or something) rims and the 265/70R17 BFG...

Quote came in at 46,000...

I decided to wait and will keep the 18" rims that came with the Fortuner...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by MTB 9 View Post
    Those were for the D4D/Vigo range as option!

Legend 50 Rims are not that expensive at R2688.35 per rim and R471.25 for the centre Cap!

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Legend 50 Rims are not that expensive at R2688.35 per rim and R471.25 for the centre Cap!
    Really? Thatís not too bad at all for the Legend50 rims. Just those centre caps...lol
    Anyone looking for a set of Fortuner 18Ē rims? Lol
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Black Rhino 17inch rims and BFGs. They traded in my 18rims and tyres.

I know the 18s look nice, but Iím all for comfort and practicality and an 18inch tyre on a bakkie that is going to sometimes be loaded quite heavily and do some long driving on dirt roads does not seem clever to me.

I think these rims and tyres will look very lekker on the new cab when it hopefully arrives on Tuesday

Hi there,

I have had a legend 50, 4x4 auto for a while now.

I fitted the old man emu suspension and BFG all terrains. I just went up a size to the 265 65 R18 instead of the normal 265 60 R18.

the ride is absolutely amazing.

I fitted the hilux desert armour sump protector plate.

and then I upgraded the standard sound system to a Rockford fosgate system done by Altra Audio in Ballito. Their work is outstanding.

then the only other mod I did was a remap of the engine and gearbox to get away from the gearing down etc on slight down hills. Found this annoying. But the remap worked a dream.

really impressed with the legend 50. You wonít be disappointed with anything you do to it. So go wild and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hacking View Post

then the only other mod I did was a remap of the engine and gearbox to get away from the gearing down etc on slight down hills. Found this annoying. But the remap worked a dream.
    Who did this for you? & How much? I would really like to get rid of that annoyance.
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hacking View Post
    Hi there,

I have had a legend 50, 4x4 auto for a while now.

I fitted the old man emu suspension and BFG all terrains. I just went up a size to the 265 65 R18 instead of the normal 265 60 R18.

the ride is absolutely amazing.

I fitted the hilux desert armour sump protector plate.

and then I upgraded the standard sound system to a Rockford fosgate system done by Altra Audio in Ballito. Their work is outstanding.

really impressed with the legend 50. You wonít be disappointed with anything you do to it. So go wild and enjoy.
    Also interested to know who mapped the gearbox please?
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Anybody that fitted a steel bumper measured the drop?

I have OME Light duty and when I put 50 kg on the nose I see a drop of around 5 mm (Note a steel bumper is between 35 - 40 kg). Obviously you then also remove the weight of the standard bumper (suppose not much? Maybe 20kg?)
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Anybody that fitted a steel bumper measured the drop?

I have OME Light duty and when I put 50 kg on the nose I see a drop of around 5 mm (Note a steel bumper is between 35 - 40 kg). Obviously you then also remove the weight of the standard bumper (suppose not much? Maybe 20kg?)
    I have fitted front (and rear) steel bumpers and the nose did drop but I forgot to measure...but will be fitting toyota's heavier duty coils
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/08/13 at 06:23 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan