Beirut Lebanon Explosion - Crazy Insane !!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Beirut Lebanon Explosion - Crazy Insane !!!

SkyNews gets it wrong here, doesn't make it less tragic. Annonium nitrate on it's own is not explosive, will need a rare lining up of the stars to explode in a warehouse, and then not all of it, just some of it. I suspect there was something else in that warehouse that went bang and they aren't going to say what it was. Ala SA Helderberg.

Quoted from Sky Website. "With the chemical formula NH4NO3, ammonium nitrate is a naturally occurring, highly soluble white crystalline solid, more commonly know as saltpetre."
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    SkyNews gets it wrong here, doesn't make it less tragic. Annonium nitrate on it's own is not explosive, will need a rare lining up of the stars to explode in a warehouse, and then not all of it, just some of it. I suspect there was something else in that warehouse that went bang and they aren't going to say what it was. Ala SA Helderberg.

Quoted from Sky Website. "With the chemical formula NH4NO3, ammonium nitrate is a naturally occurring, highly soluble white crystalline solid, more commonly know as saltpetre."
    Sometimes you can only laugh at the poor journalism in the press lately. Saltpeter... LOL!!!! Naturally occurring... LOL!!!! Crystalline... LOL!!!!! 2 Things are needed to make it explode: 1) Confinement, and 2) A rapid shock like a fuse cap. Otherwise it will only burn

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

BBC conforming ammonium nitrate explosion as the cause

BBC News - Beirut blast: Lebanon in mourning after massive explosion
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53659282

Bomb expert on CNN says AN will create yellow smoke, he says the smoke colour indicates the presence of other explosive material as well.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

On the one video before the explosion you can see these small internal explosions throughout the smoke plume,looks almost like fire crackers exploding..But the main explosion looks like a mini nuclear bomb

What a horrible incident. My sincerest sympathies to all the residents of Beirut and even more so those who lost loved ones. I am not sure how anyone can feel anything but sadness and empathy after seeing a video like that.

About the amoniumnitrate, not trying to derail the thread or being insensitve, but I am also puzzled: besides mainly being a completely benign fertilizer, it is used in ANFO in mines and even after mixed with the fuel it is quite stable mixture which will not combust randomly by itself. In fact it needs a lot of coaxing to explode. So even next to a warehouse full of old burning fireworks, it is highly unlikely to cause such a huge explosion or even a fire. However it is sensitive to humid environments (old warehouse next to sea) in which it might become dangerous.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

An explosion of that magnitude could not have happened at a worse time when medical facilities are already stretched by the Covid impact. (Fortunately on 5062 reported cases at the moment).

Quoting lekhubu943 we echo our: "sincerest sympathies to all the residents of Beirut and even more so those who lost loved ones."
    Last edited by Diversions; 2020/08/05 at 07:13 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Sorry about the comments guys, too much home made rum on an empty stomach.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I spent quite a lot of time in Beirut in the early to mid 2000's and even had a 10 day stint in the Beirut American hospital. Fantastic city and fantastic people. Was there just after the Hariri assassination bombing too.

Terribly sad this for a city and people for whom I have very fond memories.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Changa Bulanga For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Beirut Lebanon Explosion - Crazy Insane !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Sorry about the comments guys, too much home made rum on an empty stomach.
    We need more of this.Make a mistake,say sorry and move on.

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

BBC News confirm Ammonium Nitrate. An expert was interviewed who studies ammonium nitrate accidents. In each case there is uncontrolled fire. In this case fire works.

1963 there was an ammonium nitrate explosion in my home town. Fertilizer factory. That was heard 30 km away where we lived at the time. It is a chemical you have to be careful with. Those who are in Potch might still be able to see tank of that stuff from the main gate of the fertilizer factory. That plant is in town.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by hdreyer View Post
    Why can we not see what Jelo posted....I mean the absolute speed that you employ to remove his post/s on this topic seems to me as if you wish to have all of us adhere to you and like minded forum member's way of thinking. Really Yes...Jelo is outspoken, but I think more people need to be thus
    Dirk, as the owner of the Forum is LEGALLY responsible/answerable for the content posted on here, and thus has the right to remove anything he sees as being contrary to the T&Cs of the board. Those are clearly defined and posted for all to read.

If you wish to be adult and if you consider ''being an adult'' as being able to indulge in hate speech/racism/whatever then start your own forum and then you can carry the can for your members' utterances.

I don't know what jelo said, nor do I care to know, but I do support Dirk's decision if it crossed the Forum's documented line.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    BBC News confirm Ammonium Nitrate. An expert was interviewed who studies ammonium nitrate accidents. In each case there is uncontrolled fire. In this case fire works.

1963 there was an ammonium nitrate explosion in my home town. Fertilizer factory. That was heard 30 km away where we lived at the time. It is a chemical you have to be careful with. Those who are in Potch might still be able to see tank of that stuff from the main gate of the fertilizer factory. That plant is in town.
    Don't believe that for a second, they just jumping on the bandwagon and copy and paste from any other "news" agency, unless someone poured 5 L of the devils sauce into each bag, inserted a detonator into the bag and wrapped each bag with 2.5cm of duct tape, connected all the wires to a battery and flipped a switch, that stuff won't go bang like that. I think there were a few pallets of C4 or equivalent in that warehouse that went bang.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.