Prado 150 V6, 220,00km preventative maintenance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prado 150 V6, 220,00km preventative maintenance

Ranger gone due to Covid and I need a vehicle with good ground clearance for work with a budget of R250k and stumbled upon a Prado 150 V6 TX for a good price.

It has 220,000km and a full service history at Toyota, a few scratches here and there, some scuffing on the drivers seat bolster, an oil sweat somewhere and the front suspension bushes need doing. Not worried about fuel consumption.

What would recommended preventative maintenance be? I don't know when or if the water pump was replaced, so will do that. Anything else particular to the 150 V6?
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x2
    2014 Kia Koup T-GDi

EX: 2007 Lexus IS250SE,1993 Ford Sapphire 5.0 V8,2007 Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C,2001 Hilux 2.7 Raider D/C

Default Re: Prado 150 V6, 220,00km preventative maintenance

Take it for a good long test ride before pulling the trigger. Include some inclines and you will find that these vehicles lack torque terribly. Absolutely irritating as an open road cruiser. Off road I would imagine it to be another issue altogether. If fuel consumption is not an issue get yourself a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi, these vehicles are great on and off the black stuff & they definitely don't skrik when they see an uphill . A Prado 4 litre skriks itself into 3rd up many a hill , what a PITA
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2020/08/03 at 09:29 PM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

I've had my 150 tx for years, love it, nothing needed apart from regular services. I do have a new gearbox filter and WS oil in the cupboard, but it shifts smoothly that I'm in two minds to scratch where it's not itching.

Done a few mods tho, bunch of extras added, decatted and an airbox mod that made quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
    Take it for a good long test ride before pulling the trigger. Include some inclines and you will find that these vehicles lack torque terribly. Absolutely irritating as an open road cruiser. Off road I would imagine it to be another issue altogether. If fuel consumption is not an issue get yourself a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi, these vehicles are great on and off the black stuff
    I'm on my second Hilux with the same basic V6 engine.
    If you are used to a Turbo Diesel, it might feel like it lacks torque, but in reality, it does not.
    A petrol engine revs differently from a diesel.
    And the Aisin gearbox allows it to do just that.
    In my opinion, the V6 is a really good normally aspirated, no fuss unit.
    And in my opinion, the Prado is a good reliable comfortable option.
    Opting for a Jeep might have its merits, but they do not have the reputation for reliability that Toyota has.
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC A/T

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jannieljoubert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jannieljoubert View Post
    I'm on my second Hilux with the same basic V6 engine.
    If you are used to a Turbo Diesel, it might feel like it lacks torque, but in reality, it does not.
    A petrol engine revs differently from a diesel.
    And the Aisin gearbox allows it to do just that.
    In my opinion, the V6 is a really good normally aspirated, no fuss unit.
    And in my opinion, the Prado is a good reliable comfortable option.
    Opting for a Jeep might have its merits, but they do not have the reputation for reliability that Toyota has.
    I had my Prado V6 for about 4 months & could not get used to the continual riding up EVERY hill in either 4th or screaming up 3rd , in that respect it's definitely not a no fuss situation . Everything else about the vehicle is great (except the speedo cruise) . My HEMI & ML sail up most hills in top gear , absolute pleasure on the open road , both of them
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2020/08/03 at 09:51 PM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

I had my Prado V6 for about 4 months & could not get used to the continual riding up EVERY hill in either 4th or screaming up 3rd , in that respect it's definitely not a no fuss situation . Everything else about the vehicle is great (except the speedo cruise) . My HEMI & ML sail up most hills in top gear , absolute pleasure on the open road , both of them
    Your choice, all I know I'd rather have a 12 year old Prado than a 12 year old Jeep, hell I'd rather have a 20 year old Prado.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

I'm basically settled on a V6 Toyota, be it Hilux, Fortuner or Prado. This Prado just popped up in my price range and I wanted to know what to replace ITO preventative maintenance.

So cooling system check, water pump check and check suspension so far.
    2014 Kia Koup T-GDi

EX: 2007 Lexus IS250SE,1993 Ford Sapphire 5.0 V8,2007 Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C,2001 Hilux 2.7 Raider D/C

To be honest, nothing much.

I drive a 2010 TX, on 183k km and have only done services.

Brother has a 2009 VX on 230k km- services done - and a lot of other things that went wrong after a recent accident.

Friend has a 2010 VX on 330k km - services done - complained about having to replace the lights on the car.

They say the ATF is life time, maybe that is also good to check

It might also be a good idea to check if the catalytic converters have been removed yet. If not, it will probably be time.

Also, a gearbox oil change cannot hurt, but if it shifts smoothly, no need to make it a priority.
    Yes, Toyota says it is a life time fill, but the oil can degrade if it overheated.

The front crank oil seal tends to leak. (I had it on my first V6 , but not yet on the second) Good to replace that along with the water pump, while they are in there.

If you feel like it, you can also replace the fuel pump, but there shouldn't be a problem if there's no surging.
    Have the prop shafts greased with the proper grease and check the CV boots.

Check the rear side shaft seals for sweating. The inner seal to the ABS rotor tends to let oil through to the pick up.
    This is pretty normal and not a train smash, but will need attention in the long run.

If there are no other noises, vibrations or obvious play in the drive train, then the car should be good for another few hundred thou.
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC A/T

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jannieljoubert For This Useful Post:

Just stop using the cruise control, then you won't have that problem (if you want to call it a problem).

Toyota employed an appy software engineer to program the cruise control. I can crest a hill in top gear or at the most 4th gear in my V6 Hilux at the same speed where the Nazi cruise control would have geared up to 3rd long ago.

I just use my right foot and usually have a very relaxed drive.

Back to the OP:

As everyone said, consider replacing the water pump and coolant hoses. If an aftermarket long-range tank has been fitted, the fuel pump might not survive in the long run. The cause is usually some debris getting into the pump and destroying its ability to maintain fuel pressure.
    - Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

The cruise control is CRAP - decat, 5W30 synthetic oil, water pump, right radiator fluid, front crank seal and you are ready to go.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the advice.
    2014 Kia Koup T-GDi

Saw this the other day and thought it wasn't bad. (other than the wheels - personal preference)

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...40910342606209

Less km and I know fuel is not an issue for you, but at least its 2wd most of the time.

Name:  hilux.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  96.5 KB

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Grim For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Blue Shirt;4446773]Just stop using the cruise control, then you won't have that problem (if you want to call it a problem).

Toyota employed an appy software engineer to program the cruise control. I can crest a hill in top gear or at the most 4th gear in my V6 Hilux at the same speed where the Nazi cruise control would have geared up to 3rd long ago.

I just use my right foot and usually have a very relaxed drive.

Back to the OP:

As everyone said, consider replacing the water pump and coolant hoses. If an aftermarket long-range tank has been fitted, the fuel pump might not survive in the long run. The cause is usually some debris getting into the pump and destroying its ability to maintain fuel pressure.[/QUOT

TX didn't come with cruise control ( or at least mine didn't 2010) so I'm used to not using it.

Good points here

Remember, the Hilux is quite a bit lighter than a Prado hence they have less power on inclines or so it would seem - cant really compare the two vehicles, also the Prado is full time AWD and the Hilux not. (not sure about the automatic though)
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

Honestly, you cannot compare a Hilux to a Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Honestly, you cannot compare a Hilux to a Prado.
    You are correct.

Hilux V6 has the single VVTi engine with 175 kW and 360 Nm, while the Prado has dual VVTi giving 200 kW and 380 Nm in addition to the weight difference and AWD on the Prado.
    - Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast