Driving Cape Town to Maun - which route?

Default Driving Cape Town to Maun - which route?

What is the recommended route to drive from Cape Town to Maun?
    Will be towing a Bushlapa
    Happy to do trip over 3 days

Thanks

Default Re: Driving Cape Town to Maun - which route?

Quote Originally Posted by TimTDP View Post
    What is the recommended route to drive from Cape Town to Maun?
    Will be towing a Bushlapa
    Happy to do trip over 3 days

Thanks
    I have not found a faster way from Hermanus to Maun. They are all about the same. It is easier for me to go through Namibia as accommodation is easier to find. I do not book anywhere and stop when I feel like it.

Tim, you might be quite pushed to do the drive in 3 days, one of them is going to have to be very long. In October last year I went from Simon's Town to Kasane in 4 days. I was not towing but took it easy, mostly travelling at about 100kph. End of Oct days are also quite long.

First day, I left at 0530, to dodge morning traffic and it took me just over 11 hrs to Kambro. (752kms) 2nd day, I went to Phuduhudu, just after Ramatlabama border post, 9hrs, including border. (650kms) Facilities at Kambro good, but Phuduhudu could do with some TLC. I always find Ramatlabama a relatively easy, quick crossing.

If you then went via Kang you still have about 1000kms to Maun. Hope this helps.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

CT-N7-Vanrhynsdorp-Calvinia-Brandvlei-Kenhard-Upington-Bokspits-A20-Sekoma-Kang-Ghanzi-Maun 2270km or via Windhoek 2295km
    Last edited by Makaira; 2020/08/03 at 05:40 PM.

I have only done CPT to Maun once before so I would not consider myself an expert. We travelled via Upington, McCarthys Rest etc. I decided then that next time I will definitely go through Namibia using Buitepos border. This way you minimize the distance travelled within Botswana itself. Domestic animals in the road and speed traps around small villages (without proper speed limit signs) make travelling in Botswana very slow.
    2013 Pajero Sport 3.2 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hgl View Post
    I have only done CPT to Maun once before so I would not consider myself an expert. We travelled via Upington, McCarthys Rest etc. I decided then that next time I will definitely go through Namibia using Buitepos border. This way you minimize the distance travelled within Botswana itself. Domestic animals in the road and speed traps around small villages (without proper speed limit signs) make travelling in Botswana very slow.
    When last did you travel in Botswana?

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    When last did you travel in Botswana?
    2 years ago
    2013 Pajero Sport 3.2 MT

Are you trying to make the trip as quickly (and safely) as possible, or to see something on the way.

If the former, then others have posted suggestions which are likely to be better than mine (which would be Cape Town - Upington - Sekoma - Ghanzi - Maun). It's true that Botswana has some poor roads and a lot of speed traps, however when we travelled the Ghanzi-Sekoma road (2017) it was in good shape and it was not difficult to see the villages and predict the presence of speed traps.

If the latter, then why not travel via Namibia (Keetmanshoop, Gobabis) on the way there and then Palapye, Gaborone, Lobatse (or Nata, Francistown, Palapye, Gaborone, Lobatse) on the way back?